Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 PM
oliver

Default shotwell / vala / provides() ( shotwell...)

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 05:18:08PM +0200, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 09/04/12 16:53, oliver wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 04:23:23PM +0200, Markus Unterwaditzer wrote:
> >> You should write that into the comments section of the package.
> > [...]
> >

> > OK, yes, good idea.
> >
> > Done.
> >

> > Ciao,
> > Oliver
> Shotwell requires vala > 0.15, we have vala 0.16 in [testing] so the new
> shotwell is now in [community-testing] along with the updated libgevix.
> As soon as vala will move, shotwell will move too.
[...]

When I use
to create vala, it builds vala 0.16.0,
but the package says it provides "vala=0.14.2".

Not sure how such a PKGBUILD must be handled.
If it says it provides "vala=0.14.2" but
just downloads the current version via git,
then the provides-entrx is not correct.

It will÷ then provide always the newest version.

How to handle this in a package?
Is the PKGBUILD
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/va/vala-git/PKGBUILD
correct, or not?

Does a provides-entry make any sense, if there always is the
current stuff that is downloaded?

If the package PKGBUILD says, that it provides
vala=0.14.2, then it should only clone the git sources for that
certain vala version.

So I rather think the PKGBUILD is wrong here.

Are there general rules how to handle this correctly?

Ciao,
Oliver

Old 04-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Jan Steffens

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM, oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 05:18:08PM +0200, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >

>> > OK, yes, good idea.
>> >
>> > Done.
>> >

>> > Ciao,
>> > * *Oliver
>> Shotwell requires vala > 0.15, we have vala 0.16 in [testing] so the new
>> shotwell is now in [community-testing] along with the updated libgevix.
>> As soon as vala will move, shotwell will move too.
> [...]
>
> When I use
> *http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31429
> to create vala, it builds vala 0.16.0,
> but the package says it provides "vala=0.14.2".
>
> Not sure how such a PKGBUILD must be handled.
> If it says it provides "vala=0.14.2" but
> just downloads the current version via git,
> then the provides-entrx is not correct.
>
> It will÷ then provide always the newest version.
>
> How to handle this in a package?
> Is the PKGBUILD
> *http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/va/vala-git/PKGBUILD
> correct, or not?
>
> Does a provides-entry make any sense, if there always is the
> current stuff that is downloaded?
>
> If the package PKGBUILD says, that it provides
> vala=0.14.2, then it should only clone the git sources for that
> certain vala version.
>
> So I rather think the PKGBUILD is wrong here.
>
> Are there general rules how to handle this correctly?
>
> Ciao,
> * Oliver

During package(), extract the current version from "configure" using
something like
_providesver="$(awk -F' '/^PACKAGE_VERSION=/{print $2}' <configure)"
provides=("vala=$_providesver")

Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 PM
oliver

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 06:37:46PM +0200, Jan Steffens wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM, oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> >> Shotwell requires vala > 0.15, we have vala 0.16 in [testing] so the new
> >> shotwell is now in [community-testing] along with the updated libgevix.
> >> As soon as vala will move, shotwell will move too.
> > [...]
> >
> > When I use
> > *http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31429
> > to create vala, it builds vala 0.16.0,
> > but the package says it provides "vala=0.14.2".
> >
> > Not sure how such a PKGBUILD must be handled.
> > If it says it provides "vala=0.14.2" but
> > just downloads the current version via git,
> > then the provides-entrx is not correct.
> >
> > It will÷ then provide always the newest version.
> >
> > How to handle this in a package?
> > Is the PKGBUILD
> > *http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/va/vala-git/PKGBUILD
> > correct, or not?
> >
> > Does a provides-entry make any sense, if there always is the
> > current stuff that is downloaded?
> >
> > If the package PKGBUILD says, that it provides
> > vala=0.14.2, then it should only clone the git sources for that
> > certain vala version.
> >
> > So I rather think the PKGBUILD is wrong here.
> >
> > Are there general rules how to handle this correctly?
> >
> > Ciao,
> > * Oliver
>
> During package(), extract the current version from "configure" using
> something like
> _providesver="$(awk -F' '/^PACKAGE_VERSION=/{print $2}' <configure)"
> provides=("vala=$_providesver")

Aha, nice.

But then in AUR the package number could not be looked up before
the package is built....

Do you see, what problem I address?

Ciao,
Oliver

Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM
CÚdric Girard

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM, oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> When I use
> to create vala, it builds vala 0.16.0,
> but the package says it provides "vala=0.14.2".
>
> Not sure how such a PKGBUILD must be handled.
> If it says it provides "vala=0.14.2" but
> just downloads the current version via git,
> then the provides-entrx is not correct.
>
> It will÷ then provide always the newest version.
>
> How to handle this in a package?
> Is the PKGBUILD
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/va/vala-git/PKGBUILD
> correct, or not?
>
> Does a provides-entry make any sense, if there always is the
> current stuff that is downloaded?
>
> If the package PKGBUILD says, that it provides
> vala=0.14.2, then it should only clone the git sources for that
> certain vala version.
>
> So I rather think the PKGBUILD is wrong here.

This provides is wrong. I would put provides vala=0.18 and update it
whenever upstream bump version.

I think the current provides has been put to work "nicely" with packages
having a dependency on specific vala version. Does not seem a good idea
though, versionned dependencies are usually put there for a reason.

--
CÚdric Girard