Old 11-27-2007, 06:42 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default Mailing list rename

Hey guys,
This is an informational message. I'm going to be renaming this list
to "aur-general" in a few minutes. This address will still work for a
while, but it'd be nice if you could adjust any addresses to use the
new one.

http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/003013.html

Please send me mail if there's any hiccups after maybe 10 minutes or so.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Hey guys,
You may have noticed a new address up there in the From line (unless
you got this via the announce list)

The main mailing list has been renamed, from "arch" to "arch-general",
and additionally "tur-users" has been renamed to "aur-general".

The reason? The naming was unclear, especially on the tur-users list.

So, please try to use this address when posting to the list (the old
address will work fine for now, but I can't predict how long).
Additionally, I have kept archive symlinks so that the following two
are the same:
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch/

Sorry for all of you that have to update your mail filter rules, but
it's better this way - I promise 8)

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Marc Deop i Argemí

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Sorry for all of you that have to update your mail filter rules, but
> it's better this way - I promise 8)

You got me there! I recieved dozens of mail on my inbox :P

Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Petar Bogdanovic

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:35:18PM -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> The main mailing list has been renamed, from "arch" to "arch-general",

Would it be possible to remove the [arch-general] prefix from the
subject line? It seems pretty useless to me since there are a lot of
other headers on which a filter can be based on. The same goes for the
automatic signature. One gets the following headers:

<mailto:arch-general-request@archlinux.org?subject=subscribe>

with every mail which has been sent to the list.

Thanks,

Petar

Old 11-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Allan McRae

Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:35:18PM -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>
>> The main mailing list has been renamed, from "arch" to "arch-general",
>>

> Would it be possible to remove the [arch-general] prefix from the
> subject line? It seems pretty useless to me since there are a lot of
> other headers on which a filter can be based on. The same goes for the
> automatic signature. One gets the following headers:
> <snip>
>
> with every mail which has been sent to the list.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Petar

-1 from me. I filter all Arch mailing lists I subscribe to into one
folder. This way I can see where the message came from what I can reply to.

Cheers,
Allan

Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Marc Deop i Argemí

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
> Would it be possible to remove the [arch-general] prefix from the
> subject line?

Actually, i would like to keep that because gmail filters only works by
subject if I'm not wrong.

Damnshock

Old 11-27-2007, 11:52 PM
"Scott Horowitz"

On Nov 27, 2007 5:32 PM, Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> -1 from me. I filter all Arch mailing lists I subscribe to into one
> folder. This way I can see where the message came from what I can reply to.

I second that! I filter all linux mailing lists into one folder and
like that it shows which list is which. I hope this is retained.

Scott

Old 11-27-2007, 11:55 PM
"Cesar G. Miguel"

> Actually, i would like to keep that because gmail filters only works by
> subject if I'm not wrong.

Gmail can also filter by e-mail address! That's how I use it.

Cesar

Old 11-28-2007, 12:04 AM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Nov 27, 2007 6:52 PM, Scott Horowitz <stonecrest@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 5:32 PM, Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > -1 from me. I filter all Arch mailing lists I subscribe to into one
> > folder. This way I can see where the message came from what I can reply to.
>
> I second that! I filter all linux mailing lists into one folder and
> like that it shows which list is which. I hope this is retained.

I don't plan on doing away with it. It's been there for ages and is
common on... well every mailing list I've been subscribed to.

On Nov 27, 2007 6:55 PM, Cesar G. Miguel <cesargm@ime.usp.br> wrote:
> > Actually, i would like to keep that because gmail filters only works by
> > subject if I'm not wrong.
>
> Gmail can also filter by e-mail address! That's how I use it.

Yeah, just keep in mind that to filter these lists you need to filter
on the To address, not the From.
These mails are "To: arch-general@archlinux.org", not from the list.
They are From the poster.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Marc Deop i Argemí

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Cesar G. Miguel wrote:
> > Actually, i would like to keep that because gmail filters only works by
> > subject if I'm not wrong.
>
> Gmail can also filter by e-mail address! That's how I use it.
>
> Cesar

I must correct myself and say that gmail *can* filter my listid