Old 11-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Hussam Al-Tayeb

Default Mailing list rename

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 14:45 +0100, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> On Friday 30 November 2007, Hussam Al-Tayeb wrote:
> > A simple "ArchLinux General Mailing List" footer looks professional
>
> Does it need to look professional? Or do we only need the list to be
> functional?
>
> > and is non intrusive.
>
> Well, I disagree. Many people have pointed it to be intrusive too
>
> Damnshock

Ok, I see it is a matter of taste so my opinion may be different than
you. But if a 4 word footer is intrusive, then maybe signatures should
be disallowed as well. No one really needs to know what company X works
for or what his/her GNU/Linux registered number is.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 PM
bardo

2007/11/30, Hussam Al-Tayeb <ht990332@gmail.com>:
> Ok, I see it is a matter of taste so my opinion may be different than
> you. But if a 4 word footer is intrusive, then maybe signatures should
> be disallowed as well. No one really needs to know what company X works
> for or what his/her GNU/Linux registered number is.

I think that by "intrusive" people meant "breaking gpg signatures". If
that's the case, I'm with them.

Corrado

Old 11-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Freitag, 30. November 2007 15:21:11 schrieb bardo:
> I think that by "intrusive" people meant "breaking gpg signatures". If
> that's the case, I'm with them.

I don't know why people sing their emails when sending to a public mailing
list. Who checks all the keys and imports them?

--
archlinux.de

Old 11-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Johannes Held

Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>:
> I don't know why people sing their emails when sending to a public mailing
> list. Who checks all the keys and imports them?
That's indeed a good point.
But all my emails get signed by default. And I think, that's not bad.

--
Gruß, Johannes
Täglich http://blog.hehejo.de und du fühlst dich gut.

http://cryptocd.eduforge.org/online_version

Old 11-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Marc Deop i Argemí

On Friday 30 November 2007, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> I don't know why people sing their emails when sending to a public mailing
> list. Who checks all the keys and imports them?

I may wanna know who the sender trully is, right? I agree that is many times
not important but... it *can* be important.

Anyway, the signature should be attached so it does not bother other people as
for replying and, if you don't wanna check the identity, just disable
gpg/pgp

Just my two cents

Damnshock

Old 11-30-2007, 03:47 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Holy crap people... this got way out of hand. We're discussing a footer.

a footer

This isn't rocket surgery. We either have it, or we don't. I turned it
off on this list as a trial.

Frankly, I like it simply because it's 4 less lines I have to remove
when editing quotes. I do like the archive link there (getting to the
headers via gmail is harder), but it's not critical to me.

For the record, I DO believe that large signatures are annoying in the
same way that a 4 line footer is annoying

Old 11-30-2007, 03:59 PM
"Travis Willard"