Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 PM
JJDaNiMoTh

Default Should I bring rpm/dkpg to community

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 12:12:02 +0100
Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Allan McRae wrote:
> > Well, I seem to have a fairly negative reaction on average so far...
>
> Perhaps pragmatic would be a better assessment.
>
> > I just want to point out that if a user wants to install a rpm/deb
> > package, all the tools are in extra/community already.
>
> But while they're not in Community, they are labelled Unsupported. I'm
> just thinking of the potential for breakage that can occur when people
> start mixing packages from foreign distributions with those of Arch and
> start complaining when it doesn't work.
>
> You can always use the "Not Supported" card but if they're in Community
> then there is the suggestion that these mechanisms are supported.

Fully agree here...

--
JJDaNiMoTh - ArchLinux Trusted User

Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 PM

> Hi,
>
> Allan McRae wrote:
>> Well, I seem to have a fairly negative reaction on average so far...
>
> Perhaps pragmatic would be a better assessment.
>
>> I just want to point out that if a user wants to install a rpm/deb
>> package, all the tools are in extra/community already.
>
> But while they're not in Community, they are labelled Unsupported. I'm
> just thinking of the potential for breakage that can occur when people
> start mixing packages from foreign distributions with those of Arch and
> start complaining when it doesn't work.
>
> You can always use the "Not Supported" card but if they're in Community
> then there is the suggestion that these mechanisms are supported.

You are being *too* nice Neil.

These packages ARE supported once they are in the Community repo.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch

Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Loui

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 18:45:07 +1000
Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi TU's,
>
> I was wondering what peoples opinions are about putting rpm/dpkg in
> [community]. They both have a descent number of votes (27 & 33) so
> people obviously find them useful. Does anyone have objections about
> their "unArchness" (it is a real word, honest!)? It is what has stopped
> me moving dpkg so far...

Hi. I'm not a TU but can I state my opinion too?
I would say NO. A resounding unequivocal NO to rpm and dpkg.
Heh. I even have objections about them being in [unsupported].

Sorry if I interrupted the conversation, but I couldn't resist.

Cheers.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Allan McRae

Allan McRae wrote:

Allan McRae wrote:

I was wondering what peoples opinions are about putting rpm/dpkg in
[community]. They both have a descent number of votes (27 & 33) so
people obviously find them useful. Does anyone have objections about
their "unArchness" (it is a real word, honest!)? It is what has
stopped me moving dpkg so far...

Well, I seem to have a fairly negative reaction on average so far...

I just want to point out that if a user wants to install a rpm/deb
package, all the tools are in extra/community already. These packages
would make it slightly easier to install them but also give the
ability to create these package formats which is why I grabbed dpkg in
the first place.

Thanks for all the comments. I will _NOT_ be moving these to community.
I had never actually considered moving dpkg to community until I
received a couple of emails from users asking me to do so. As I said in
my first email, I thought they were "unArchlike" (another real word!)

As an aside, the argument that it can screw up a users system is not a
great one. I've seen rm ruin a system but we still keep coreutils...

Allan

Old 04-06-2008, 02:05 PM
"Giovanni Scafora"

2008/4/6, Loui <louipc.ist@gmail.com>:
> Hi. I'm not a TU but can I state my opinion too?
> I would say NO. A resounding unequivocal NO to rpm and dpkg.
> Heh. I even have objections about them being in [unsupported].
>
> Sorry if I interrupted the conversation, but I couldn't resist.

You can state your opinion too.
This is not a private conversation for TUs only.

--
Giovanni Scafora
Arch Linux Trusted User (voidnull)

Old 04-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Loui

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 16:05:01 +0200
"Giovanni Scafora" <linuxmania@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/4/6, Loui <louipc.ist@gmail.com>:
> > Hi. I'm not a TU but can I state my opinion too?
>
> You can state your opinion too.
> This is not a private conversation for TUs only.

Thanks.
Yeah I think part of the idea behind [community] is to highlight and
preview packages that -might- make it to [extra].
That would probably never happen with rpm and dpkg.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:23 PM
RedShift

Neil Darlow wrote:

Hi,

Allan McRae wrote:

Well, I seem to have a fairly negative reaction on average so far...

Perhaps pragmatic would be a better assessment.

I just want to point out that if a user wants to install a rpm/deb
package, all the tools are in extra/community already.

But while they're not in Community, they are labelled Unsupported. I'm
just thinking of the potential for breakage that can occur when people
start mixing packages from foreign distributions with those of Arch and
start complaining when it doesn't work.

Since when do we assume the user is dumb?

Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Alessio Bolognino

On Sun 2008-04-06 16:23 , RedShift wrote:
> Neil Darlow wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Allan McRae wrote:
>>> Well, I seem to have a fairly negative reaction on average so far...
>>
>> Perhaps pragmatic would be a better assessment.
>>
>>> I just want to point out that if a user wants to install a rpm/deb
>>> package, all the tools are in extra/community already.
>>
>> But while they're not in Community, they are labelled Unsupported. I'm
>> just thinking of the potential for breakage that can occur when people
>> start mixing packages from foreign distributions with those of Arch and
>> start complaining when it doesn't work.
>
> Since when do we assume the user is dumb?

If the user is not dumb, he can convert the rpm/deb/whatever in an Arch package
(compiling the software or using rpm2targz and the like): in this way pacman can
handle it. Seriously, I think that having stuff like dpkg in a (semi)official
repo could bring the user to think that we support deb packages.

We don't have in [community] software that install packages from the AUR for the
very same reason: we don't support them.

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok@gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF 2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB

Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Neil Darlow

Hi Bob,

w9ya@qrparci.net wrote:

You are being *too* nice Neil.

Thanks, in general it's a good policy ;-)

These packages ARE supported once they are in the Community repo.

I was referring to the use of dpkg and rpm to maintain a system was
being suggested as supported in Community.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Old 04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Neil Darlow

Hi,

RedShift wrote:

Since when do we assume the user is dumb?

Experience has taught me that it is unwise to assume anything,
especially where users are concerned ;-)

Regards,
Neil Darlow