Old 04-06-2008, 04:23 PM
"Ray Rashif"

Default Should I bring rpm/dkpg to community

We shouldn't disqualify something just because it's "that something" (: They're being excluded not because they*have relation to "debs and rpms", but because they fall in the same paradigm as tools like yaourt, well somewhat at least. We already have - for administrative purposes - rpmextract and checkinstall.

Wow, this one's received a lot of attention in such a short time. Infamous is the word, hate is the subject?

On 06/04/2008, Loui <louipc.ist@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 18:45:07 +1000
Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi TU's,
>
> I was wondering what peoples opinions are about putting rpm/dpkg in

> [community].**They both have a descent number of votes (27 & 33) so
> people obviously find them useful.**Does anyone have objections about
> their "unArchness" (it is a real word, honest!)?**It is what has stopped

> me moving dpkg so far...

Hi. I'm not a TU but can I state my opinion too?
I would say NO. A resounding unequivocal NO to rpm and dpkg.
Heh. I even have objections about them being in [unsupported].

Sorry if I interrupted the conversation, but I couldn't resist.

Cheers.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi TU's,
>
> I was wondering what peoples opinions are about putting rpm/dpkg in
> [community]. They both have a descent number of votes (27 & 33) so people
> obviously find them useful. Does anyone have objections about their
> "unArchness" (it is a real word, honest!)? It is what has stopped me moving
> dpkg so far...

The main reason for not doing this is that it will collide with pacman
package management in more ways than one - the clearest is that
dependencies will not always be the right version, and installing a
deb on your machine may not work. What do you think happens to all the
debs someone installed the next time openssl is upgraded?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
"A. Klitzing"

Hi,

I want to say something to that dpkg package because I maintain some
debian-related packages in AUR [1].
I ported some packages from Debian to ArchLinux. I didn't port it
because I want to have deb packages on ArchLinux but I want to build
deb packages on ArchLinux. I ported for example pbuilder (needs dpkg)
so everyone can build clean und nice debs without to have real Debian
installation.
I didn't think that many people want to use dpkg as his primary
package management in Arch. Maybe they want it like me... develop on
ArchLinux for Debian/Ubuntu/... ;-)

Best Regards,
André Klitzing

[1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=Misery

Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 PM
"stefan-husmann@t-online.de"

Hello,

for that purpose it is okay to have dpkg, but honestly, there are
not many people who use a ArchLinux system for building packages
for other systems than ArchLinux. On the other hand there is the
danger of having people who see a nice rpm ore deb somewhere and
say "oh, there is no PKGBUILD for that, lets installa it using
dpkg."

They can do it now using the PKGBUILD for dpkg, but that is one
step more.

Stefan