FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux User Repository

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 PM
rafael ff1
 
Default Removal request: virtualbox-sun

2012/3/26 Det <nimetonmaili@gmail.com>:
> I guess this is a good summary of all the talk in virtualbox-sun's comment
> section[1].
>
> The reality here is that virtualbox-bin[2] has evolved into something _at
> least_ as good as virtualbox-sun. While it's true that -sun is the original
> one it's also the one with the incorrect naming, a bit slower updates (by a
> day or so) and less votes (229 vs -bin's 3430). Because we can't justify
> keeping duplicated work around just to make everybody happy, one of them has
> to go.
>
> Even if -sun was to stay here the "better" stuff in -bin would have to be
> implemented there first before the removal and the renaming. When put
> together with the comment/vote merge it's starting to sound a bit pointless
> (taken how we can just remove that one).
>
> I know what I'd do but it's not my decision: it's yours.
>
> [1] virtualbox-sun = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31996
> [2] virtualbox-bin = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=51727
>
> * * * * * * Det

It is interesting how both provide the same version of the same
softwaer, but have totally different depedency listed. For example,
"kernel26-headers" for virtualbox-sun.
 
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Det
 
Default Removal request: virtualbox-sun

On 26.3.2012 19:06, rafael ff1 wrote:

2012/3/26 Det<nimetonmaili@gmail.com>:

I guess this is a good summary of all the talk in virtualbox-sun's comment
section[1].

The reality here is that virtualbox-bin[2] has evolved into something _at
least_ as good as virtualbox-sun. While it's true that -sun is the original
one it's also the one with the incorrect naming, a bit slower updates (by a
day or so) and less votes (229 vs -bin's 3430). Because we can't justify
keeping duplicated work around just to make everybody happy, one of them has
to go.

Even if -sun was to stay here the "better" stuff in -bin would have to be
implemented there first before the removal and the renaming. When put
together with the comment/vote merge it's starting to sound a bit pointless
(taken how we can just remove that one).

I know what I'd do but it's not my decision: it's yours.

[1] virtualbox-sun = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31996
[2] virtualbox-bin = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=51727

Det

It is interesting how both provide the same version of the same
softwaer, but have totally different depedency listed. For example,
"kernel26-headers" for virtualbox-sun.

Yeah. -sun is a bit outdated there too.
 
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Seblu
 
Default Removal request: virtualbox-sun

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Det <nimetonmaili@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess this is a good summary of all the talk in virtualbox-sun's comment
> section[1].
>
> The reality here is that virtualbox-bin[2] has evolved into something _at
> least_ as good as virtualbox-sun.

> While it's true that -sun is the original one it's also the one with the incorrect naming
If i remember correctly first was virtualbox_bin[1] (which was
renammed into virtualbox-bin last year).

> Even if -sun was to stay here the "better" stuff in -bin would have to be
> implemented there first before the removal and the renaming.
I don't understand your sentence. Is there something missing in -bin
that you need?

I remind everyone is encouraged to use the version in the official
repositories[2].

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&K=virtualbox_bin
[2] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/virtualbox/

--
Sťbastien Luttringer
www.seblu.net
 
Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Det
 
Default Removal request: virtualbox-sun

On 27.3.2012 0:39, Seblu wrote:

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Det<nimetonmaili@gmail.com> wrote:

While it's true that -sun is the original one it's also the one with the incorrect naming

If i remember correctly first was virtualbox_bin[1] (which was
renammed into virtualbox-bin last year).


Even better.


Even if -sun was to stay here the "better" stuff in -bin would have to be
implemented there first before the removal and the renaming.

I don't understand your sentence. Is there something missing in -bin
that you need?


No, I mean that if -bin was removed, then the missing "-bin stuff"
should be implemented in -sun, before -bin was removed and -sun renamed
to -bin. But this was when I still thought that -sun was the original
one. Since it's not, there's no reason anymore for keeping it.



I remind everyone is encouraged to use the version in the official
repositories[2].

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&K=virtualbox_bin
[2] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/virtualbox/


Actually, yeah. I forgot the "PUEL" stuff is nowadays available through
the extension pack.


But this should, of course, still be taken care of.

Det
 
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Det
 
Default Removal request: virtualbox-sun

No responses in a week. Trust me, -bin[1] covers everything that -sun[2]
does. In addition it's the original one and it has more votes.


We don't need both.

[1] virtualbox-bin = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=51727
[2] virtualbox-sun = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31996

Det
 
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Seblu
 
Default Removal request: virtualbox-sun

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Det <nimetonmaili@gmail.com> wrote:
> No responses in a week. Trust me, -bin[1] covers everything that -sun[2]
> does. In addition it's the original one and it has more votes.
>
> We don't need both.
>
> [1] virtualbox-bin = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=51727
> [2] virtualbox-sun = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31996
>
> * * * * * * *Det

ok if nobody object, i will merge -sun in -bin.

Cheers,

--
Sťbastien Luttringer
www.seblu.net
 
Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Luk√°Ň° Jirkovsk√Ĺ
 
Default Removal request: virtualbox-sun

On 2 April 2012 22:22, Seblu <seblu@seblu.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Det <nimetonmaili@gmail.com> wrote:
>> No responses in a week. Trust me, -bin[1] covers everything that -sun[2]
>> does. In addition it's the original one and it has more votes.
>>
>> We don't need both.
>>
>> [1] virtualbox-bin = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=51727
>> [2] virtualbox-sun = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31996
>>
>> ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*Det
>
> ok if nobody object, i will merge -sun in -bin.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Sébastien Luttringer
> www.seblu.net

removing virtualbox-sun is fine with me.

Lukas
 
Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Alexander RÝdseth
 
Default Removal request: virtualbox-sun

+1 from me too. Go for it, seblu

--
Cordially,
*Alexander RÝdseth
*Arch Linux Trusted User
*(xyproto on IRC, trontonic on AUR)
 
Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Seblu
 
Default Removal request: virtualbox-sun

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Det <nimetonmaili@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess this is a good summary of all the talk in virtualbox-sun's comment
> section[1].
>
> The reality here is that virtualbox-bin[2] has evolved into something _at
> least_ as good as virtualbox-sun. While it's true that -sun is the original
> one it's also the one with the incorrect naming, a bit slower updates (by a
> day or so) and less votes (229 vs -bin's 3430). Because we can't justify
> keeping duplicated work around just to make everybody happy, one of them has
> to go.
>
> Even if -sun was to stay here the "better" stuff in -bin would have to be
> implemented there first before the removal and the renaming. When put
> together with the comment/vote merge it's starting to sound a bit pointless
> (taken how we can just remove that one).
>
> I know what I'd do but it's not my decision: it's yours.
>
> [1] virtualbox-sun = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31996
> [2] virtualbox-bin = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=51727
>
> * * * * * * Det

Package removed. Thanks.

--
Sťbastien Luttringer
www.seblu.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org