-   -   Removal request: google-chrome-mini (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-user-repository/645315-removal-request-google-chrome-mini.html)

Det 03-16-2012 11:49 AM

Removal request: google-chrome-mini

This is not even funny: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57611
- A clone of 'google-chrome-dev'
- Otherwise the same but the build and dependencies somehow more 'minimal'
- In practice completely useless

Det

Oon-Ee Ng 03-16-2012 12:07 PM

On Mar 16, 2012 8:49 PM, "Det" <nimetonmaili@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not even funny: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57611
> - A clone of 'google-chrome-dev'
> - Otherwise the same but the build and dependencies somehow more 'minimal'
> - In practice completely useless
>
> Det

Package is the author's idea of KISS, saw a thread to that effect in the
forums.

Alexander RÝdseth 03-16-2012 05:55 PM

Removal request: google-chrome-mini

Hi,

The current maintainer, taylorchu, replied:
> 1. it uses no gconf, so you dont need gtk3.
> 2. it does not try to move and symlink. it is vanilla as provided by google.

Do you still request the package to be deleted?

--
Sincerely,
*Alexander RÝdseth

Det 03-16-2012 06:55 PM

On Mar 16, 2012 14:55, "Alexander RÝdseth" <rodseth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The current maintainer, taylorchu, replied:
> > 1. it uses no gconf, so you dont need gtk3.
> > 2. it does not try to move and symlink. it is vanilla as provided
by google.

> Do you still request the package to be deleted?

Well, the symlinks can be removed as they are unnecessary nowadays (the
man page and the .desktop _should_ still be installed), while 'no-gconf'
could just as well be manually installed from the AUR beforehand, as it
replaces 'gconf'.

Building 'openssl098' is the only thing that might bother some people.
It could be moved to optional dependencies, since not everybody uses the
built-in Pepper Flash anyway (which requires it).

At the _very least_, if this package was to be kept in the AUR (which I
disagree with) the name should be changed to something like
'google-chrome-dev-no-gconf'. But using the same logic every single
package in the AUR depending on 'gconf' could be cloned with '-no-gconf'
alternatives.

Is _this_ what we want?

Det

Luk√°Ň° Jirkovsk√Ĺ 03-18-2012 07:22 AM

On 16 March 2012 20:55, Det <nimetonmaili@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 2012 14:55, "Alexander R√łdseth" <rodseth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The current maintainer, taylorchu, replied:
>> > 1. it uses no gconf, so you dont need gtk3.
>> > 2. it does not try to move and symlink. it is vanilla as provided
> by google.
>>
>> Do you still request the package to be deleted?
>
> Well, the symlinks can be removed as they are unnecessary nowadays (the
> man page and the .desktop _should_ still be installed), while 'no-gconf'
> could just as well be manually installed from the AUR beforehand, as it
> replaces 'gconf'.
>
> Building 'openssl098' is the only thing that might bother some people.
> It could be moved to optional dependencies, since not everybody uses the
> built-in Pepper Flash anyway (which requires it).
>
> At the _very least_, if this package was to be kept in the AUR (which I
> disagree with) the name should be changed to something like
> 'google-chrome-dev-no-gconf'. But using the same logic every single
> package in the AUR depending on 'gconf' could be cloned with '-no-gconf'
> alternatives.
>
> Is _this_ what we want?
>
> ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* Det

I'll remove google-chrome-mini when the google-chrome-dev get's
updated with the changes you mentioned.

Lukas

Luk√°Ň° Jirkovsk√Ĺ 03-18-2012 07:23 AM

On 18 March 2012 09:22, Luk√°Ň° Jirkovsk√Ĺ <l.jirkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll remove google-chrome-mini when the google-chrome-dev get's
> updated with the changes you mentioned.
>
> Lukas

BTW: it would be nice if someone pings me when it gets updated, I
notoriously forget things.

Det 03-24-2012 10:26 AM

On 18 March 2012 09:23, Luk√°Ň° Jirkovsk√Ĺ <l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 March 2012 09:22, Luk√°Ň° Jirkovsk√Ĺ <l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'll remove google-chrome-mini when the google-chrome-dev get's
> > updated with the changes you mentioned.
> >
> > Lukas
>
> BTW: it would be nice if someone pings me when it gets updated, I
> notoriously forget things.

It's done now.

Here's the link to google-chrome-mini again:

Det

Luk√°Ň° Jirkovsk√Ĺ 03-24-2012 11:41 AM

On 24 March 2012 12:26, Det <nimetonmaili@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's done now.
>
> Here's the link to google-chrome-mini again:
>
> Det

Thanks Det, I've removed the google-chrome-mini.

Lukas

Det 03-24-2012 11:32 PM

On 24 March 2012 13:41, Det <nimetonmaili at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Det, I've removed the google-chrome-mini.
>
> Lukas

The maintainer doesn't seem to get the message. He re-uploaded it as
"google-chrome-no-gconf", even though I already explained the user can
just install "no-gconf" beforehand:

Det

Luk√°Ň° Jirkovsk√Ĺ 03-25-2012 08:32 AM

On 25 March 2012 01:32, Det <nimetonmaili@gmail.com> wrote:

> The maintainer doesn't seem to get the message. He re-uploaded it as
> "google-chrome-no-gconf", even though I already explained the user can just
> install "no-gconf" beforehand:

It seems someone already removed it. Thanks for the notice.

LUkas