Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Default Deletion/merge request - xf86-video-sis671

Package xf86-video-sis671
(https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34256) is outdated, broken
and lacks some features that xf86-sis-m671
(https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=47620) have (support for
1366x768 resolution and others). Anyway it is just feature-lacking
version of xf86-video-sisimedia in [community] and therefore should be
removed and have it's votes merged into xf86-sis-m671 to preserve votes
of sis761 chipset owners in AUR.
--
My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR

Old 03-17-2012, 03:44 AM

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:12:52PM +1100, alexander.r@gmx.com wrote:
> Package xf86-video-sis671
> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34256) is outdated, broken
> and lacks some features that xf86-sis-m671
> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=47620) have (support for
> 1366x768 resolution and others). Anyway it is just feature-lacking
> version of xf86-video-sisimedia in [community] and therefore should be
> removed and have it's votes merged into xf86-sis-m671 to preserve votes
> of sis761 chipset owners in AUR.
> --
> My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR
---end quoted text---

Am I ignored O_o ? Anyway sorry and please forget about previous message; better
disown xf86-sis-m671 (it was said to be useless and marked as outdated long ago)
and merge it into xf86-video-sis671, which I just updated.
--
My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR

Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Ike Devolder

Op 17-03-12 05:44, alexander.r@gmx.com schreef:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:12:52PM +1100, alexander.r@gmx.com wrote:
>> Package xf86-video-sis671
>> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34256) is outdated, broken
>> and lacks some features that xf86-sis-m671
>> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=47620) have (support for
>> 1366x768 resolution and others). Anyway it is just feature-lacking
>> version of xf86-video-sisimedia in [community] and therefore should be
>> removed and have it's votes merged into xf86-sis-m671 to preserve votes
>> of sis761 chipset owners in AUR.
>> --
>> My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR
> ---end quoted text---
>
> Am I ignored O_o ? Anyway sorry and please forget about previous message; better
> disown xf86-sis-m671 (it was said to be useless and marked as outdated long ago)
> and merge it into xf86-video-sis671, which I just updated.

no you are not ignored

but you are not the maintainer of xf86-sis-m671
so if you get hellnest to confirm the merge here we can do that

--
Ike

Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Martti KŁhne

Sorry for breaking threads. I forwarded Ike's message to hellnest, since Ike
didn't add him to cc in his mail. [1]

cheers
mar77i

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2012-March/018168.html

Old 03-17-2012, 10:11 AM

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:53:50AM +0100, Ike Devolder wrote:
> Op 17-03-12 05:44, alexander.r@gmx.com schreef:
> > On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:12:52PM +1100, alexander.r@gmx.com wrote:
> >> Package xf86-video-sis671
> >> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34256) is outdated, broken
> >> and lacks some features that xf86-sis-m671
> >> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=47620) have (support for
> >> 1366x768 resolution and others). Anyway it is just feature-lacking
> >> version of xf86-video-sisimedia in [community] and therefore should be
> >> removed and have it's votes merged into xf86-sis-m671 to preserve votes
> >> of sis761 chipset owners in AUR.
> >> --
> >> My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR
> > ---end quoted text---
> >
> > Am I ignored O_o ? Anyway sorry and please forget about previous message; better
> > disown xf86-sis-m671 (it was said to be useless and marked as outdated long ago)
> > and merge it into xf86-video-sis671, which I just updated.
>
> no you are not ignored
>
> but you are not the maintainer of xf86-sis-m671
> so if you get hellnest to confirm the merge here we can do that
>
> --
> Ike

---end quoted text---

I understand, but
1) according to package contents and github commit history, xf86-sis-m671 is just the
same package with same upstream and different order of patches (is not package
duplication against Arch rules?)
2) it is broken and it have been being broken (crash during video playback) since
October 2011 - see comments. Now it does not even compile
3) it was marked as outdated with several comments on AUR page on October 20, 2011.
Author does not show activity neither in his blog and github projects nor on AUR.

Taking into account all listed, should I e-mail hellnest and ask him to update his
package again?
--
My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR

Old 03-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Luk√°Ň° Jirkovsk√Ĺ

On 17 March 2012 05:44, <alexander.r@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:12:52PM +1100, alexander.r@gmx.com wrote:
>> Package xf86-video-sis671
>> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34256) is outdated, broken
>> and lacks some features that xf86-sis-m671
>> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=47620) have (support for
>> 1366x768 resolution and others). Anyway it is just feature-lacking
>> version of xf86-video-sisimedia in [community] and therefore should be
>> removed and have it's votes merged into xf86-sis-m671 to preserve votes
>> of sis761 chipset owners in AUR.
>> --
>> My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR
> ---end quoted text---
>
> Am I ignored O_o ? Anyway sorry and please forget about previous message; better
> disown xf86-sis-m671 (it was said to be useless and marked as outdated long ago)
> and merge it into xf86-video-sis671, which I just updated.
> --
> My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR

I've looked at both packages and I don't see a reason why they should
be kept in AUR at all.

The xf86-video-sis671 package looks almost identical to the
xf86-video-sisimedia in [extra]. It even uses the same sources. If
there's a problem with the xf86-video-sisimedia you should rather post
a bug report (patches are welcome) instead of creating a new package
in AUR.

As far as it goes, xf86-sis-m671 seems to be based on the same
sources. Also it uses a (dead) git repository so it's name is wrong
too (it should have -git suffix).

Lukas

Old 03-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Ike Devolder

Op 17-03-12 12:11, alexander.r@gmx.com schreef:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:53:50AM +0100, Ike Devolder wrote:
>>> ---end quoted text---
>>>
>>> Am I ignored O_o ? Anyway sorry and please forget about previous message; better
>>> disown xf86-sis-m671 (it was said to be useless and marked as outdated long ago)
>>> and merge it into xf86-video-sis671, which I just updated.
>>
>> no you are not ignored
>>
>> but you are not the maintainer of xf86-sis-m671
>> so if you get hellnest to confirm the merge here we can do that
>>
>> --
>> Ike
>>

> ---end quoted text---
>
> I understand, but
> 1) according to package contents and github commit history, xf86-sis-m671 is just the
> same package with same upstream and different order of patches (is not package
> duplication against Arch rules?)
> 2) it is broken and it have been being broken (crash during video playback) since
> October 2011 - see comments. Now it does not even compile
> 3) it was marked as outdated with several comments on AUR page on October 20, 2011.
> Author does not show activity neither in his blog and github projects nor on AUR.
>
> Taking into account all listed, should I e-mail hellnest and ask him to update his
> package again?

deleted xf86-sis-m671
as for xf86-video-sis671[1] please file bug reports to have the package
in extra updated

Ike