Old 07-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera

Default Orphan request

On 2012-07-10 23:35, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
> <hugo@osvaldobarrera.com.ar> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> opensmtpd [1] seems to be abandoned. I marked it out of date, and
>> left the author some tips on how to improve the PKGBUILD over a month
>> ago, and there hasn't been any activity since.
>>
>> I was wondering if this could be orphaned so I can adopt it and
>> maintain it myself.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=50709
>
> Have you sent him an email?

No, I've only posted on AUR.
I'll e-mail him, and come back in a week or so if nothing happens.

Thanks,

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera

Old 07-15-2012, 06:36 PM
"D. Can Celasun"

Hi,

Can someone please orphan rabbitvcs-thunar [1] and thunarx-python[2] ?
The maintainer hasn't updated any of his packages in over a year and
there are updated PKGBUILDs in the comments. I'd like to maintain
them.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Ike Devolder

Op zondag 15 juli 2012 21:36:16 schreef D. Can Celasun:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please orphan rabbitvcs-thunar [1] and thunarx-python[2] ?
> The maintainer hasn't updated any of his packages in over a year and
> there are updated PKGBUILDs in the comments. I'd like to maintain
> them.
>
> Thanks.

Did you email the current maintainer ?
If he/she does not respond in two weeks we can orphan [1].

[1]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR#Q:_Foo_in_AUR_is_outdated.3B_what_do_I_do.3F

thx

--Ike

Old 07-15-2012, 06:46 PM
"D. Can Celasun"

Wow, Dj vu! In the past another TU asked me the exact same question
and it was decided that if the maintainer didn't update any of his
packages for a long time (e.g a year) the wait-2-weeks-for-response
wasn't necessary. That particular discussion is here [1]. So I'd be
glad if you could go ahead and orphan the packages.

Thanks!

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2011-October/016307.html

Old 07-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Ike Devolder

Op zondag 15 juli 2012 21:46:08 schreef D. Can Celasun:
> Wow, Dj vu! In the past another TU asked me the exact same question
> and it was decided that if the maintainer didn't update any of his
> packages for a long time (e.g a year) the wait-2-weeks-for-response
> wasn't necessary. That particular discussion is here [1]. So I'd be
> glad if you could go ahead and orphan the packages.
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1]
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2011-October/016307.html
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Ike Devolder <ike.devolder@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Op zondag 15 juli 2012 21:36:16 schreef D. Can Celasun:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Can someone please orphan rabbitvcs-thunar [1] and thunarx-python[2] ?
> >> The maintainer hasn't updated any of his packages in over a year and
> >> there are updated PKGBUILDs in the comments. I'd like to maintain
> >> them.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID4590
> >> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID4589
> >
> > Did you email the current maintainer ?
> > If he/she does not respond in two weeks we can orphan [1].
> >
> > [1]
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR#Q:_Foo_in_AUR_is_outdated.3B_what
> > _do_I_do.3F
> >
> > thx
> >
> > --Ike

This thing about the long not updated packages was never written down, so that
is why you get this question again.
now i have updated the wiki so this is known for more than you alone. i cant
remember everything that ever happened in the mailinglist.

so maybe you could also notify in the mail that we are talking about long
marked packages this makes it easier for us to make a decision.

and at last, orphaned both. thx

--Ike

Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 PM
"D. Can Celasun"

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Ike Devolder <ike.devolder@gmail.com> wrote:
> Op zondag 15 juli 2012 21:46:08 schreef D. Can Celasun:
>> Wow, Dj vu! In the past another TU asked me the exact same question
>> and it was decided that if the maintainer didn't update any of his
>> packages for a long time (e.g a year) the wait-2-weeks-for-response
>> wasn't necessary. That particular discussion is here [1]. So I'd be
>> glad if you could go ahead and orphan the packages.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> [1]
>> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2011-October/016307.html
>> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Ike Devolder <ike.devolder@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Did you email the current maintainer ?
>> > If he/she does not respond in two weeks we can orphan [1].
>> >
>> > [1]
>> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR#Q:_Foo_in_AUR_is_outdated.3B_what
>> > _do_I_do.3F
>> >
>> > thx
>> >
>> > --Ike
>
> This thing about the long not updated packages was never written down, so that
> is why you get this question again.
> now i have updated the wiki so this is known for more than you alone. i cant
> remember everything that ever happened in the mailinglist.
>
> so maybe you could also notify in the mail that we are talking about long
> marked packages this makes it easier for us to make a decision.
>
> and at last, orphaned both. thx
>
> --Ike

Thanks for orphaning.

Also, I'm sorry if my response seemed, well, aggressive. That was
certainly not my intention.

Cheers,
Can

Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Ike Devolder

Op zondag 15 juli 2012 22:31:33 schreef D. Can Celasun:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Ike Devolder <ike.devolder@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Op zondag 15 juli 2012 21:46:08 schreef D. Can Celasun:
> >> Wow, Dj vu! In the past another TU asked me the exact same question
> >> and it was decided that if the maintainer didn't update any of his
> >> packages for a long time (e.g a year) the wait-2-weeks-for-response
> >> wasn't necessary. That particular discussion is here [1]. So I'd be
> >> glad if you could go ahead and orphan the packages.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2011-October/016307.ht
> >> ml

> > This thing about the long not updated packages was never written down, so
> > that is why you get this question again.
> > now i have updated the wiki so this is known for more than you alone. i
> > cant remember everything that ever happened in the mailinglist.
> >
> > so maybe you could also notify in the mail that we are talking about long
> > marked packages this makes it easier for us to make a decision.
> >
> > and at last, orphaned both. thx
> >
> > --Ike
>
> Thanks for orphaning.
>
> Also, I'm sorry if my response seemed, well, aggressive. That was
> certainly not my intention.
>
> Cheers,
> Can

i can understand if you got this question before and went through a discussion
before you don't want to get this question again.
no hard feelings

--Ike

Old 07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Allen Li

Now, I don't know what official rules we have, but I don't think this is right.
Sometimes, a package may be stable without being updated upstream for a long
time, and suddenly it's updated a year or so later, and the maintainer may be
active but unaware of this. A friendly email reminder should be the first
step, and only if the maintainer doesn't respond then a TU should orphan. Am I
wrong?

Allen Li

Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 PM
"D. Can Celasun"

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Allen Li <cyberdupo56@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, I don't know what official rules we have, but I don't think this is right.
> Sometimes, a package may be stable without being updated upstream for a long
> time, and suddenly it's updated a year or so later, and the maintainer may be
> active but unaware of this. A friendly email reminder should be the first
> step, and only if the maintainer doesn't respond then a TU should orphan. Am I
> wrong?
>
> Allen Li

Well, in the case of these two packages (and the one mentioned in the
other thread), there were several considerations to counter your
points. The packages:

- Had more recent upstream stable versions for a long time,
- Have been flagged as out-of-date for a long time,
- Had several up-to-date PKGBUILDs in the comments without any input
from the maintainer.

Furthermore, the maintainer didn't update *any* of his packages in
more than a year. So in the end, I don't think your reasoning should
apply to cases like this. Am I wrong?

Can

Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Allen Li

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:00:21PM +0300, D. Can Celasun wrote:

> > Now, I don't know what official rules we have, but I don't think this is right.
> > Sometimes, a package may be stable without being updated upstream for a long
> > time, and suddenly it's updated a year or so later, and the maintainer may be
> > active but unaware of this. A friendly email reminder should be the first
> > step, and only if the maintainer doesn't respond then a TU should orphan. Am I
> > wrong?
> >
> > Allen Li
>

> Well, in the case of these two packages (and the one mentioned in the
> other thread), there were several considerations to counter your
> points. The packages:
>
> - Had more recent upstream stable versions for a long time,
> - Have been flagged as out-of-date for a long time,
> - Had several up-to-date PKGBUILDs in the comments without any input
> from the maintainer.
>
> Furthermore, the maintainer didn't update *any* of his packages in
> more than a year. So in the end, I don't think your reasoning should
> apply to cases like this. Am I wrong?
>
> Can

Yes, I agree that in this situation orphaning is the right choice. I didn't
look at the details, but from the email it appeared to suggest a "No update in
one year = instant orphan" precedent, which I'm sure you agree is a bad idea.
Sorry for any misunderstandings.

Allen