Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   ArchLinux User Repository (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-user-repository/)
-   -   Please remove my AUR account (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-user-repository/604656-please-remove-my-aur-account.html)

Dave Reisner 11-30-2011 11:43 AM

Please remove my AUR account
 
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 01:19:46PM +0100, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since I'm no longer involved with the AUR, my last resort of getting my
> account removed is subscribing to this mailing list, something I
> actually wanted to avoid, but since all other pleas resulted in no
> feedback, here I am.
>
> I hereby ask one of the AUR admins to delete my account "wzff".
>
> That said, having a "delete my account" option in the AUR itself would
> be an incredibly nice feature, unless you are afraid your users might
> run off. You see how well that worked with the wall in Germany.

..And we can't delete your account, either, short of manually removing it
from the DB. I've never understood why such a thing would be necessary.
No drama, no fuss, just stop calling us. We won't call you. We (on an
admin level) never have.

You seem bitter. You should fix that, or at least not parade it around
when asking for a favor.

dave

Heiko Baums 11-30-2011 12:00 PM

Please remove my AUR account
 
Am Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:43:29 -0500
schrieb Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com>:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 01:19:46PM +0100, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
> > You see how well that worked with the wall in
> > Germany.
>
> You seem bitter. You should fix that, or at least not parade it around
> when asking for a favor.

And the comparison to the German wall is also improper.

Heiko

Dieter Plaetinck 11-30-2011 01:03 PM

Please remove my AUR account
 
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:00:44 +0100
Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> Am Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:43:29 -0500
> schrieb Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com>:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 01:19:46PM +0100, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
> > > You see how well that worked with the wall in
> > > Germany.
> >
> > You seem bitter. You should fix that, or at least not parade it
> > around when asking for a favor.
>
> And the comparison to the German wall is also improper.
>
> Heiko

political correctness:

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth
the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the
clean end.

Alexander Rdseth 11-30-2011 03:25 PM

Please remove my AUR account
 
The Arch way of deleting AUR accounts is just to leave them be.
Simplest possible solution.
There, done.

Cordially,
Alexander Rdseth

Pierre Schmitz 11-30-2011 04:09 PM

Please remove my AUR account
 
Am 30.11.2011 17:25, schrieb Alexander Rdseth:
> The Arch way of deleting AUR accounts is just to leave them be.
> Simplest possible solution.
> There, done.
>
> Cordially,
> Alexander Rdseth

I sure don't like this tone here, but in general we should give people
the possibility to remove their account data. There might be good
reasons for such requests and that should be requested. And because
implementing this should be easy enough it would be better to turn the
"we don't delete accounts" into a "patches welcome" response.

Greetings,

Pierre

--
Pierre Schmitz, http://pierre-schmitz.com

Alexander Rdseth 11-30-2011 04:16 PM

Please remove my AUR account
 
No disharmonious tone intended, patches welcome.

--
Cordially,
*Alexander Rdseth
*Arch Linux Trusted User
*(xyproto on IRC, trontonic on AUR)

郑文辉 11-30-2011 04:46 PM

Please remove my AUR account
 
I think the account info should be keeped for history purpose and a disable
feature is acceptable.
在 2011-12-1 上午1:16,"Alexander Rødseth" <rodseth@gmail.com>写道:

> No disharmonious tone intended, patches welcome.
>
> --
> Cordially,
> Alexander Rødseth
> Arch Linux Trusted User
> (xyproto on IRC, trontonic on AUR)
>

Moritz Wilhelmy 11-30-2011 05:07 PM

Please remove my AUR account
 
Hello Heiko, Hello list,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 14:00:44 +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> And the comparison to the German wall is also improper.

It seems it was enough to get your attention. It had to be either a foul
wall comparison or a foul Facebook comparison, although Facebook would
probably have been less off than what I said, being cool and in the web
and all.

Would you have replied without an insult or politically incorrectness,
striking up the debate? I'm sorry for insulting you, but I think we
should either drop this or take it off-list. Contrary to popular belief,
I'm just someone who likes to speak openly, not a "rude person", but
someone you can actually talk to.
(See the bottom of http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17039, and
yes, I still believe the criticism was valid at that point, but I could
have said it more politely. This is just another example of me being an
asshole sometimes, but I don't usually mean it. "He who is without being
the occasional asshole on the internet among you, let him to be the
first to throw a stone at me. Ow. That hurts.")

Chances might be that someone hacks my "dead" account and uses it for
posting malicious PKGBUILDs. After all, the AUR is written in PHP, no?
PHP had some very serious and embarassing security issues in the not too
distant past, and there is no guarantee that this will not happen again
tomorrow or maybe next week. This would clear my conciousness that
there's somewhere an account lurking in the dark. Someone might then
mistake me for the account owner and blame me for the malicious doings
of a third party.

I will - and that's One Hundred Percent certain - never use this account
again. It was sometimes fun working with some of you, but I
fundamentally disagree with Arch's interpretation of "lightweight" and
the way releases are handled, but this has nothing to do in this thread
and will supposedly be taken as a flamebait (because "KISS" and
"rolling-release" seems to be the holy grail of using Arch and
disagreeing is taken as a personal insult by many users). I do not want
a flamewar, just to clarify my reasons, since some of you seem to wonder
why I'd want to delete that account anyway.

If someone points me to the AUR code, I might make one very last
contribution, namely implementing a way to purge an account, with some
options like leaving forum posts intact. I also think, usernames should
not be reused, in order to avoid confusion. Over all, the project sounds
doable, however I have no idea yet how the AUR's database looks.

To Pierre, thanks for your statement.
Thanks to all of you for your past few years of cooperation (more than
two, but I didn't count how many exactly). I've learned much through
arch, but now it's time to finally say goodbye. My last remaining Arch
machine will go down on 2011-12-09.


Best regards,

Moritz

Stefan Wilkens 11-30-2011 05:20 PM

Please remove my AUR account
 
2011/11/30 Moritz Wilhelmy <moritz@wzff.de>:
> Hello Heiko, Hello list,
>
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 14:00:44 +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
>> And the comparison to the German wall is also improper.
>
> It seems it was enough to get your attention. It had to be either a foul
> wall comparison or a foul Facebook comparison, although Facebook would
> probably have been less off than what I said, being cool and in the web
> and all.
>
> Would you have replied without an insult or politically incorrectness,
> striking up the debate? I'm sorry for insulting you, but I think we
> should either drop this or take it off-list. Contrary to popular belief,
> I'm just someone who likes to speak openly, not a "rude person", but
> someone you can actually talk to.
> (See the bottom of http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17039, and
> yes, I still believe the criticism was valid at that point, but I could
> have said it more politely. This is just another example of me being an
> asshole sometimes, but I don't usually mean it. "He who is without being
> the occasional asshole on the internet among you, let him to be the
> first to throw a stone at me. Ow. That hurts.")
>
> Chances might be that someone hacks my "dead" account and uses it for
> posting malicious PKGBUILDs. After all, the AUR is written in PHP, no?
> PHP had some very serious and embarassing security issues in the not too
> distant past, and there is no guarantee that this will not happen again
> tomorrow or maybe next week. This would clear my conciousness that
> there's somewhere an account lurking in the dark. Someone might then
> mistake me for the account owner and blame me for the malicious doings
> of a third party.
>
> I will - and that's One Hundred Percent certain - never use this account
> again. It was sometimes fun working with some of you, but I
> fundamentally disagree with Arch's interpretation of "lightweight" and
> the way releases are handled, but this has nothing to do in this thread
> and will supposedly be taken as a flamebait (because "KISS" and
> "rolling-release" seems to be the holy grail of using Arch and
> disagreeing is taken as a personal insult by many users). I do not want
> a flamewar, just to clarify my reasons, since some of you seem to wonder
> why I'd want to delete that account anyway.
>
> If someone points me to the AUR code, I might make one very last
> contribution, namely implementing a way to purge an account, with some
> options like leaving forum posts intact. I also think, usernames should
> not be reused, in order to avoid confusion. Over all, the project sounds
> doable, however I have no idea yet how the AUR's database looks.
>
> To Pierre, thanks for your statement.
> Thanks to all of you for your past few years of cooperation (more than
> two, but I didn't count how many exactly). I've learned much through
> arch, but now it's time to finally say goodbye. My last remaining Arch
> machine will go down on 2011-12-09.
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Moritz

At the very best, this is mailing list pollution with an overly
dramatic tone. I can't be the only one disliking this type of thread
on an otherwise on-topic list, so I kindly request this to be taken
elsewhere.

The AUR project code is available here:
http://projects.archlinux.org/aur.git/

Good luck in future endavors.

Dave Reisner 11-30-2011 05:50 PM

Please remove my AUR account
 
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 07:07:29PM +0100, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
> Would you have replied without an insult or politically incorrectness,
> striking up the debate? I'm sorry for insulting you, but I think we
> should either drop this or take it off-list. Contrary to popular belief,
> I'm just someone who likes to speak openly, not a "rude person", but
> someone you can actually talk to.

I replied to you knowing full well that you and this person are one and
the same:

http://ompldr.org/vYmowcw

Had you omitted the sophmoric attitude, I would have omitted my
closing remark and perhaps had a more lighthearted attitude about your
request.

> (See the bottom of http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17039, and
> yes, I still believe the criticism was valid at that point, but I could
> have said it more politely. This is just another example of me being an
> asshole sometimes, but I don't usually mean it. "He who is without being
> the occasional asshole on the internet among you, let him to be the
> first to throw a stone at me. Ow. That hurts.")

And as long as those remarks still exist, lavandero's comment is still
100% accurate. Feel free to delete those remarks if you don't want some
foul stain left on your internet e-peen. And even if you don't mean to
be an asshole, it's the internet. No one sees your intentions. You are
what you've written -- an asshole.

> Chances might be that someone hacks my "dead" account and uses it for
> posting malicious PKGBUILDs. After all, the AUR is written in PHP, no?
> PHP had some very serious and embarassing security issues in the not too
> distant past, and there is no guarantee that this will not happen again
> tomorrow or maybe next week. This would clear my conciousness that
> there's somewhere an account lurking in the dark. Someone might then
> mistake me for the account owner and blame me for the malicious doings
> of a third party.

Even if you can't delete your account, you're able to change your email
to something nonexistant and use a 32 char password that would keep a
hacker at bay until we realized a week later that they were still
pounding on our server. That should satiate your paranoia, no? Hey,
while you're at it, you could change your name to mine, and post a lot of
nasty comments. You're good at that.

> I will - and that's One Hundred Percent certain - never use this account
> again. It was sometimes fun working with some of you, but I
> fundamentally disagree with Arch's interpretation of "lightweight" and
> the way releases are handled, but this has nothing to do in this thread
> and will supposedly be taken as a flamebait (because "KISS" and
> "rolling-release" seems to be the holy grail of using Arch and
> disagreeing is taken as a personal insult by many users). I do not want
> a flamewar, just to clarify my reasons, since some of you seem to wonder
> why I'd want to delete that account anyway.

Cool story. "Arch doesn't suit my needs anymore" would have been
sufficient. We didn't ask you to come here, and we certainly haven't
forced you to stay. It speaks to your character that you're able to
realize when something doesn't work for you and just move on.

> If someone points me to the AUR code, I might make one very last
> contribution, namely implementing a way to purge an account, with some
> options like leaving forum posts intact. I also think, usernames should
> not be reused, in order to avoid confusion. Over all, the project sounds
> doable, however I have no idea yet how the AUR's database looks.

That's more like it -- the Arch spirit of wanting to get involved and
be a contributing member of the community rather than making scathing
remarks towards someone who might not know the better way to implement
something.

The AUR's codebase can found in the same place as the rest of our
in-house projects:

http://projects.archlinux.org/aur.git

If history has taught me anything, it's that we'll never hear about this
ever again. Feel free to prove me wrong and actually submit patches that
make it through the review process and into the repo. We'll all be
better off for it.

> To Pierre, thanks for your statement.
> Thanks to all of you for your past few years of cooperation (more than
> two, but I didn't count how many exactly). I've learned much through
> arch, but now it's time to finally say goodbye. My last remaining Arch
> machine will go down on 2011-12-09.

I'm sorry that we can't be friends.

Regards,
Dave


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.