Old 10-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Jonathan Conder

Default Orphaning mediatomb

Hi TUs,

In a few days I will be orphaning my package mediatomb, and will delete it too unless anyone is interested in maintaining it. It has been unmaintained upstream for over a year, and currently I don't have enough time to deal with the issues that keep cropping up because of this. At the moment it isn't even installed on my main computer. Thought I'd just let people know first, in case anyone else is interested in maintaining it, and to give my reasons for dropping it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 02:10:48 +1300
Jonathan Conder <jonno.conder@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi TUs,
>
> In a few days I will be orphaning my package mediatomb, and will
> delete it too unless anyone is interested in maintaining it. It has
> been unmaintained upstream for over a year, and currently I don't
> have enough time to deal with the issues that keep cropping up
> because of this. At the moment it isn't even installed on my main
> computer. Thought I'd just let people know first, in case anyone else
> is interested in maintaining it, and to give my reasons for dropping
> it.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

why would you delete the package?
I still use MT. orphan as you want, but it's not because upstream is inactive that you should remove the package IMHO.

Dieter

Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Jonathan Conder

On 24 October 2011 01:42, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 02:10:48 +1300
> Jonathan Conder <jonno.conder@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi TUs,
>>
>> In a few days I will be orphaning my package mediatomb, and will
>> delete it too unless anyone is interested in maintaining it. It has
>> been unmaintained upstream for over a year, and currently I don't
>> have enough time to deal with the issues that keep cropping up
>> because of this. At the moment it isn't even installed on my main
>> computer. Thought I'd just let people know first, in case anyone else
>> is interested in maintaining it, and to give my reasons for dropping
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jonathan
>
> why would you delete the package?
> I still use MT. *orphan as you want, but it's not because upstream is inactive that you should remove the package IMHO.

I was under the impression that it didn't currently work, but on
closer inspection it looks like one of the bugs was invalid. Maybe it
should stay then, but unless someone is willing to maintain it I think
we should encourage new users to look for an alternative (by removing
it from the repos).

Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Mike Bedwell

[...]

I'm just a noob to the lists, but I don't understand why non-maintained
mediatomb equates to a package that is no longer relevant to anyone.
Unless it is severely broken, I would think that many would appreciate
it continuing on in the repos. At worst, don't delete it, but relegate
it to AUR instead. I use mediatomb in my home and would hate to see a
loss of the package. In aur, most are aware that, "You get what you get
and you don't throw a fit".

Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 22:06:02 -0600
Mike Bedwell <pcallycat@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/23/2011 09:10 PM, Jonathan Conder wrote:
> > On 24 October 2011 01:42, Dieter Plaetinck<dieter@plaetinck.be>
> > wrote:

> >> why would you delete the package?
> >> I still use MT. orphan as you want, but it's not because upstream
> >> is inactive that you should remove the package IMHO.
> > I was under the impression that it didn't currently work, but on
> > closer inspection it looks like one of the bugs was invalid. Maybe
> > it should stay then, but unless someone is willing to maintain it I
> > think we should encourage new users to look for an alternative (by
> > removing it from the repos).
> >
> >> Dieter
> I'm just a noob to the lists, but I don't understand why
> non-maintained mediatomb equates to a package that is no longer
> relevant to anyone. Unless it is severely broken, I would think that
> many would appreciate it continuing on in the repos. At worst, don't
> delete it, but relegate it to AUR instead. I use mediatomb in my
> home and would hate to see a loss of the package. In aur, most are
> aware that, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit".

Btw, i falsely assumed that MT was already in AUR and Jonathan planned to remove it from AUR.
so I'm not sure what exactly he meant with "dropping" then... removing from the repo but not uploading in AUR?
that only means someone else will create a new PKGBUILD and upload it to AUR. you could save that person some work

Dieter

Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Jonathan Conder

> > On 10/23/2011 09:10 PM, Jonathan Conder wrote:

> > > I was under the impression that it didn't currently work, but on
> > > closer inspection it looks like one of the bugs was invalid. Maybe
> > > it should stay then, but unless someone is willing to maintain it I
> > > think we should encourage new users to look for an alternative (by
> > > removing it from the repos).

> > I'm just a noob to the lists, but I don't understand why
> > non-maintained mediatomb equates to a package that is no longer
> > relevant to anyone. Unless it is severely broken, I would think that
> > many would appreciate it continuing on in the repos.* At worst, don't
> > delete it, but relegate it to AUR instead.* I use mediatomb in my
> > home and would hate to see a loss of the package.* In aur, most are
> > aware that, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit".
>
> Btw, i falsely assumed that MT was already in AUR and Jonathan planned
> to remove it from AUR. so I'm not sure what exactly he meant with
> "dropping" then... removing from the repo but not uploading in AUR? that
> only means someone else will create a new PKGBUILD and upload it to AUR.
> you could save that person some work
>
> Dieter

Sorry for the confusion. By 'drop' I meant move it from community to the AUR.

Jonathan

Old 05-21-2012, 04:06 AM
Rich Mattes

Hi all,

I don't have the time to take proper care of Mediatomb, so I've orphaned
the package. There are a couple of bugs open, including a crasher bug
that needs to be resolved.

Rich