Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 AM
Ángel Velásquez

Default Dropping PCManFM

Hi,

This release of PcmanFM is hard to built (at least on Arch and other
distros) .. libfm refuses to build, and pcmanfm cannot build without
libfm >= 0.1.16 ..

Since LXDE upstream have been doing slow releases (and full of bugs
and patches) I am not so sure if we should drop many of LXDE
components to AUR, maintaining buggy software is a hell, patching it a
lot, and reporting bugs to their upstream isn't nice, and it becomes
worst when upstream seems to be dead.

If anyone (TU or Dev) would like to maintain pcmanfm or the rest of
the components of LXDE, please adopt it go ahead and let me know, but
in the contrary case, I think PcmanFM and buggy LXDE software should
go to AUR

Regards

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 AM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 15.08.2011 04:56, Ángel Velásquez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This release of PcmanFM is hard to built (at least on Arch and other
> distros) .. libfm refuses to build, and pcmanfm cannot build without
> libfm >= 0.1.16 ..
>
> Since LXDE upstream have been doing slow releases (and full of bugs
> and patches) I am not so sure if we should drop many of LXDE
> components to AUR, maintaining buggy software is a hell, patching it a
> lot, and reporting bugs to their upstream isn't nice, and it becomes
> worst when upstream seems to be dead.
>
> If anyone (TU or Dev) would like to maintain pcmanfm or the rest of
> the components of LXDE, please adopt it go ahead and let me know, but
> in the contrary case, I think PcmanFM and buggy LXDE software should
> go to AUR
>
> Regards

I definitely support dropping these to AUR for the reasons you stated.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Allan McRae

On 15/08/11 12:56, Ángel Velásquez wrote:

Hi,

This release of PcmanFM is hard to built (at least on Arch and other
distros) .. libfm refuses to build, and pcmanfm cannot build without
libfm>= 0.1.16 ..

Since LXDE upstream have been doing slow releases (and full of bugs
and patches) I am not so sure if we should drop many of LXDE
components to AUR, maintaining buggy software is a hell, patching it a
lot, and reporting bugs to their upstream isn't nice, and it becomes
worst when upstream seems to be dead.

If anyone (TU or Dev) would like to maintain pcmanfm or the rest of
the components of LXDE, please adopt it go ahead and let me know, but
in the contrary case, I think PcmanFM and buggy LXDE software should
go to AUR

If it is going to be dropped and no-one else wants it, then I will take
over LXDM.

Allan

Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Cilyan Olowen

2011/8/15 Ángel Velásquez <angvp@archlinux.org>:
> Hi,
>
> This release of PcmanFM is hard to built (at least on Arch and other
> distros) .. libfm refuses to build, and pcmanfm cannot build without
> libfm >= 0.1.16 ..
>
> Since LXDE upstream have been doing slow releases (and full of bugs
> and patches) I am not so sure if we should drop many of LXDE
> components to AUR, maintaining buggy software is a hell, patching it a
> lot, and reporting bugs to their upstream isn't nice, and it becomes
> worst when upstream seems to be dead.
>
> If anyone (TU or Dev) would like to maintain pcmanfm or the rest of
> the components of LXDE, please adopt it go ahead and let me know, but
> in the contrary case, I think PcmanFM and buggy LXDE software should
> go to AUR
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Angel Velásquez
> angvp @ irc.freenode.net
> Arch Linux Developer / Trusted User
> Linux Counter: #359909
> http://www.angvp.com

I tested PCManFM from git just before its release, and it compiled
seamlessly. I think the best way would be to describe your problems on
the PCManFM mailing list, PCMan is quite reactive.

For the other components, it's another story, they are not actively
developed and answers can be long to come. But they still are packages
that are used by a few archers.

Feel free to help

Cilyan