FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux User Repository

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Florian Pritz
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

Hi,

I think it would be nice if we had a closed mailing list for TUs only
(and maybe devs if they want to) so we can move more important stuff
from IRC to mail because not everyone uses IRC or is online all the time.

Keep in mind that it will likely be low traffic.

Any hard feelings on that?

--
Florian Pritz
 
Old 08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Karol Blazewicz
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it would be nice if we had a closed mailing list for TUs only
> (and maybe devs if they want to) so we can move more important stuff
> from IRC to mail because not everyone uses IRC or is online all the time.
>
> Keep in mind that it will likely be low traffic.
>
> Any hard feelings on that?
>
> --
> Florian Pritz
>
>

You mean a "secret" one or read-only for non-TUs / non-devs?
Maybe agree on a subject prefix like [serious stuff] so you can filter it?
 
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Ángel Velásquez
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

2011/8/12 Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at>:
> Hi,
>
> I think it would be nice if we had a closed mailing list for TUs only
> (and maybe devs if they want to) so we can move more important stuff
> from IRC to mail because not everyone uses IRC or is online all the time.
>
> Keep in mind that it will likely be low traffic.
>
> Any hard feelings on that?

+1 .. sometimes we have issues that we need to discuss first on TU
side before discuss with the rest of people who might not know how to
deal or how the things might work on our side.

This is not for "hidding" anything, but sometimes is hard to make a
meeting with the tus, we have an irc channel, but we have different
timezones and not all of our TUs uses irc ...

Well that said, the main idea is not to having "secrets" just to
organize us better



>
> --
> Florian Pritz
>
>



--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net
Arch Linux Developer / Trusted User
Linux Counter: #359909
http://www.angvp.com
 
Old 08-12-2011, 03:35 PM
François Boulogne
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

Le 12/08/2011 17:24, Ángel Velásquez a écrit :
> 2011/8/12 Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think it would be nice if we had a closed mailing list for TUs only
>> (and maybe devs if they want to) so we can move more important stuff
>> from IRC to mail because not everyone uses IRC or is online all the time.
>>
>> Keep in mind that it will likely be low traffic.
>>
>> Any hard feelings on that?
> +1 .. sometimes we have issues that we need to discuss first on TU
> side before discuss with the rest of people who might not know how to
> deal or how the things might work on our side.
>
> This is not for "hidding" anything, but sometimes is hard to make a
> meeting with the tus, we have an irc channel, but we have different
> timezones and not all of our TUs uses irc ...
>
> Well that said, the main idea is not to having "secrets" just to
> organize us better
>
>
>

So make it world-readable.
 
Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 PM
keenerd
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

On 8/12/11, François Boulogne <boulogne.f@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So make it world-readable.
>
>

I am entirely against any sort of closed private ML. Private but
world-readable is a good way to maintain a good S/N while keeping us
clean.

On a related note, the fact that there is no public log of the TU IRC
channel feels really shady. We don't even discuss "important" secrets
like April Fools in the channel, and there is no reason for it to be
private. The Gentoo-dev channel (where you must have voice/op to
post, but anyone can lurk) is better, transparent and accountable.
Closed doors suck.

However, setting up a system like Gentoo's is a bit of a pain. The
simplest way to go about this is for me to start sharing my #arch-tu
log files. Preferably in real time.

I imaging this sort of thing would need a vote first, however. Thoughts?

-Kyle
http://kmkeen.com
 
Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Ionut Biru
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

On 08/12/2011 07:16 PM, keenerd wrote:



However, setting up a system like Gentoo's is a bit of a pain. The
simplest way to go about this is for me to start sharing my #arch-tu
log files. Preferably in real time.

I imaging this sort of thing would need a vote first, however. Thoughts?



I reject the idea.



-Kyle
http://kmkeen.com



--
IonuÈ›
 
Old 08-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Seblu
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM, keenerd <keenerd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/12/11, François Boulogne <boulogne.f@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So make it world-readable.
>>
>>
>
> I am entirely against any sort of closed private ML. *Private but
> world-readable is a good way to maintain a good S/N while keeping us
> clean.
>
> On a related note, the fact that there is no public log of the TU IRC
> channel feels really shady. *We don't even discuss "important" secrets
> like April Fools in the channel, and there is no reason for it to be
> private. *The Gentoo-dev channel (where you must have voice/op to
> post, but anyone can lurk) is better, transparent and accountable.
> Closed doors suck.

I agree with you. But arch already have arch-dev which is not public.



--
Sébastien Luttringer
www.seblu.net
 
Old 08-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:20:53 +0200
Seblu <seblu@seblu.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM, keenerd <keenerd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/12/11, François Boulogne <boulogne.f@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> So make it world-readable.
> >>
> >>
> >
> > I am entirely against any sort of closed private ML. *Private but
> > world-readable is a good way to maintain a good S/N while keeping us
> > clean.
> >
> > On a related note, the fact that there is no public log of the TU IRC
> > channel feels really shady. *We don't even discuss "important" secrets
> > like April Fools in the channel, and there is no reason for it to be
> > private. *The Gentoo-dev channel (where you must have voice/op to
> > post, but anyone can lurk) is better, transparent and accountable.
> > Closed doors suck.
>
> I agree with you. But arch already have arch-dev which is not public.
>
>
>

That's an interesting point.
What if everything we did now on arch-dev would become publicly readable..
that would mean a subgroup of the community would be aware of things such as our finances, who we are considering bringing in as a developer, what's going on with Arch legally, infrastructure related things, security issues or april fools jokes we are working on.
I've always wanted to move *some* discussions from arch-dev to arch-dev-public but this is a bit more extreme. Not necessarily bad though, something to ponder.

Dieter
 
Old 08-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Thorsten Töpper
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:19:53 +0300
Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 08/12/2011 07:16 PM, keenerd wrote:
>
> >
> > However, setting up a system like Gentoo's is a bit of a pain. The
> > simplest way to go about this is for me to start sharing my #arch-tu
> > log files. Preferably in real time.
> >
> > I imaging this sort of thing would need a vote first, however.
> > Thoughts?
> >
>
> I reject the idea.

I agree with Ionut: Not in any way. Also if there'd be another mailing
list I'd strongly prefer a new mailing list in the way arch-dev works.

--
Jabber: atsutane@freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
Key: 295AFBF4 FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4
 
Old 08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Hector Martinez-Seara
 
Default Private mailing list for TUs?

It is interesting,
it doesn't matter which is the ambit ( Ej: politics, public
institutions, ... ), but always at the end those who have the power
feel the need to restrict or control the flux of information. And by
experience this need increases more and more in time. No hard feelings
about what you say but this might end up badly.
A friend,
Hector

PD: Transparency in not the same as anarchy. Might be that people
don't like what is decided by those who take decisions but if it is
done openly at least the people don't feel deceived.

On 12 August 2011 19:31, Thorsten Töpper <atsutane@freethoughts.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:19:53 +0300
> Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On 08/12/2011 07:16 PM, keenerd wrote:
>>
>> >
>> > However, setting up a system like Gentoo's is a bit of a pain. *The
>> > simplest way to go about this is for me to start sharing my #arch-tu
>> > log files. *Preferably in real time.
>> >
>> > I imaging this sort of thing would need a vote first, however.
>> > Thoughts?
>> >
>>
>> I reject the idea.
>
> I agree with Ionut: Not in any way. Also if there'd be another mailing
> list I'd strongly prefer a new mailing list in the way arch-dev works.
>
> --
> Jabber: atsutane@freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
> Key: 295AFBF4 * * FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4
>



--
Hector Martínez-Seara Monné
mail: hseara@gmail.com
Tel: +34656271145
Tel: +358442709253
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org