Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   ArchLinux User Repository (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-user-repository/)
-   -   Inclusion of CPANPLUS in community (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-user-repository/546974-inclusion-cpanplus-community.html)

Florian Pritz 07-01-2011 03:33 PM

Inclusion of CPANPLUS in community
 
Hi,

I'd like to move perl-cpanplus and perl-cpanplus-dist-arch to community
so users can install software from cpan easily without bypassing pacman.

I'm not sure whether this is a problem or not because cpanplus automates
the installation of software from a possibly untrusted source. It uses
the metadata from CPAN to generate a PKGBUILD and runs makepkg -i on that.

More information about perl-cpanplus-dist-arch can be found here:
https://github.com/juster/perl-cpanplus-dist-arch/blob/master/README

--
Florian Pritz

ngel Velsquez 07-01-2011 03:55 PM

Inclusion of CPANPLUS in community
 
2011/7/1 Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at>:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to move perl-cpanplus and perl-cpanplus-dist-arch to community
> so users can install software from cpan easily without bypassing pacman.

+1

>
> I'm not sure whether this is a problem or not because cpanplus automates
> the installation of software from a possibly untrusted source. It uses
> the metadata from CPAN to generate a PKGBUILD and runs makepkg -i on that.

Well packages will be downloaded from cpan, and users should be aware
that they have to compile them after make the src.tar.gz, and then
install it.

So +1 in general.

>
> More information about perl-cpanplus-dist-arch can be found here:
> https://github.com/juster/perl-cpanplus-dist-arch/blob/master/README
>
> --
> Florian Pritz
>
>


--
Angel Velsquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net
Arch Linux Developer / Trusted User
Linux Counter: #359909
http://www.angvp.com

Anton Leontiev 07-01-2011 06:30 PM

Inclusion of CPANPLUS in community
 
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to move perl-cpanplus and perl-cpanplus-dist-arch to community
> so users can install software from cpan easily without bypassing pacman.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is a problem or not because cpanplus automates
> the installation of software from a possibly untrusted source. It uses
> the metadata from CPAN to generate a PKGBUILD and runs makepkg -i on that.
>
> More information about perl-cpanplus-dist-arch can be found here:
> https://github.com/juster/perl-cpanplus-dist-arch/blob/master/README

I'm for it!
But, if I understand well, 'perl-cpanplus' [1] functionality is now in
core. So it can be just deleted.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33402

--
Anton Leontiev <bunder@t-25.ru>

Florian Pritz 07-01-2011 07:20 PM

Inclusion of CPANPLUS in community
 
On 01.07.2011 20:30, Anton Leontiev wrote:
> But, if I understand well, 'perl-cpanplus' [1] functionality is now in
> core. So it can be just deleted.
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33402

The version bundled with perl is 0.9103, but there is 0.9105 so if that
contains an important bugfix you can install it and overwrite the
included one.

I agree that we don't need to move this package though, but it should be
kept in AUR. Thanks for the hint.

--
Florian Pritz

Anton Leontiev 07-03-2011 06:27 AM

Inclusion of CPANPLUS in community
 
В Пт., 01/07/2011 в 21:20 +0200, Florian Pritz пишет:
> On 01.07.2011 20:30, Anton Leontiev wrote:
> > But, if I understand well, 'perl-cpanplus' [1] functionality is now in
> > core. So it can be just deleted.
> >
> > [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33402
>
> The version bundled with perl is 0.9103, but there is 0.9105 so if that
> contains an important bugfix you can install it and overwrite the
> included one.

This AUR package is very outdated (version 0.9007) and have no
maintainer. Personally I don't like packages that duplicate Perl's core
functionality in AUR, especially now when 'perl' have no 'provides'
array, because they favours someone to add 'perl-something' in
dependencies (just because there is such package in AUR) instead of just
add 'perl'.

This is just my opinion as a contributor. If you think this package is
useful in AUR, please adopt and update it.

--
Anton Leontiev <bunder@t-25.ru>


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.