-   -   Naming of aegisub packages (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-user-repository/541465-naming-aegisub-packages.html)

cantabile 06-19-2011 07:14 AM

Naming of aegisub packages

Hello,

We have four packages:
aegisub [1] - this pulls from svn, from the 2.1.9 branch (2.1.9 will
be the next stable version)
aegisub-stable [2] - this compiles the stable version from the
released tarball - 2.1.8 at the moment, which is quite old and probably
doesn't build anymore due to changes in ffmpeg
aegisub-bin [3] - this repackages the binary from upstream, stable
version
aegisub-svn [4] - this builds from svn, from trunk (trunk should
become version 3.0, when it's ready)

[1] should be renamed 'aegisub-next-svn' or something like that, and [2]
should be renamed simply 'aegisub'

Don't you agree? :)

Ccing the maintainer of [1].

Sidenote: I'll probably update [2] once 2.1.9 is released (should be
soon enough).

[1] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=19006
[2] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=40870
[3] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34152
[4] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=10919
--
cantabile

"Jayne is a girl's name." -- River

Hilinus Fenfort 06-19-2011 08:07 AM

Naming of aegisub packages

In data domenica 19 giugno 2011 10:14:14, cantabile ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> We have four packages:
> aegisub [1] - this pulls from svn, from the 2.1.9 branch (2.1.9 will
> be the next stable version)
> aegisub-stable [2] - this compiles the stable version from the
> released tarball - 2.1.8 at the moment, which is quite old and probably
> doesn't build anymore due to changes in ffmpeg
> aegisub-bin [3] - this repackages the binary from upstream, stable
> version
> aegisub-svn [4] - this builds from svn, from trunk (trunk should
> become version 3.0, when it's ready)
>
> [1] should be renamed 'aegisub-next-svn' or something like that, and [2]
> should be renamed simply 'aegisub'

Agreed. But i'm not too practical with the AUR and i don't know how to
rename a package. Maybe i could create another one with the name you
suggest and then let some admin delete the old aegisub package. But what
happens to users who have installed it? Should I use replaces=() in the
PKGBUILD?

Stefan Husmann 06-20-2011 11:37 PM

Naming of aegisub packages

[...]

Renaming is not possible yet. Indeed the only working way is to create a
new package under another name. I do not like the name 'aegisub-next-svn'
that much, because IMHO it is not clear enough. I would prefer
'aegisub-stable-svn'.

Do not use 'replaces=()' here. Use provides=('aegisub') and conflicts=('aegisub').

Keep contributing!

Regards Stefan

cantabile 06-21-2011 08:36 AM

Naming of aegisub packages

I do not like the name 'aegisub-next-svn'
that much, because IMHO it is not clear enough. I would prefer
'aegisub-stable-svn'.

I guess that could work.

--
cantabile

"Jayne is a girl's name." -- River

Hilinus Fenfort 06-25-2011 12:30 PM

Naming of aegisub packages

In data domenica 19 giugno 2011 10:14:14, cantabile ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> We have four packages:
> aegisub [1] - this pulls from svn, from the 2.1.9 branch (2.1.9 will
> be the next stable version)
> aegisub-stable [2] - this compiles the stable version from the
In data domenica 19 giugno 2011 10:14:14, cantabile ha scritto:
> Renaming is not possible yet. Indeed the only working way is to create a
> new package under another name. I do not like the name 'aegisub-next-
svn'
> that much, because IMHO it is not clear enough. I would prefer
> 'aegisub-stable-svn'.
>
> Do not use 'replaces=()' here. Use provides=('aegisub') and
conflicts=('aegisub').

> Keep contributing!
>
> Regards Stefan

I have created another package named "aegisub-stable-svn". Someone should
delete the old one now. Should i open a deletion request or can i ask in this
thread?

Thanks,
Hilinus

cantabile 06-25-2011 05:48 PM

Naming of aegisub packages

On 06/25/2011 03:30 PM, Hilinus Fenfort wrote:

[...]

It's on topic, so it should be fine here.

Please delete aegisub-stable [1] as well, I will upload a new package
named "aegisub" when they release 2.1.9.

cantabile

"Jayne is a girl's name." -- River

Stefan Husmann 06-25-2011 06:15 PM

Naming of aegisub packages

Am 25.06.2011 19:48, schrieb cantabile:

[...]

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=40870 deleted. Before I mix something up: Which was the other one to delete?

Stefan

cantabile 06-25-2011 07:52 PM

Naming of aegisub packages

On 06/25/2011 09:15 PM, Stefan Husmann wrote:

[...]

Technically, "aegisub-stable" was the only one that needed to be
deleted, but someone already deleted "aegisub".

--
cantabile

"Jayne is a girl's name." -- River

Andrea Scarpino 06-25-2011 08:11 PM

Naming of aegisub packages

On Saturday 25 June 2011 22:52:23 cantabile wrote:
> Technically, "aegisub-stable" was the only one that needed to be
> deleted, but someone already deleted "aegisub".
I did. I received a private message from Hilinus.

--
Andrea

Hilinus Fenfort 06-25-2011 08:31 PM

Naming of aegisub packages

In data sabato 25 giugno 2011 22:52:23, cantabile ha scritto:
> On 06/25/2011 09:15 PM, Stefan Husmann wrote:

> >> It's on topic, so it should be fine here.
> >>
> >> Please delete aegisub-stable [1] as well, I will upload a new package
> >> named "aegisub" when they release 2.1.9.
> >>
> >> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=40870
> >
> > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=40870 deleted. Before I mix
> > something up: Which was the other one to delete?
> >
> > Stefan
>
> Technically, "aegisub-stable" was the only one that needed to be
> deleted, but someone already deleted "aegisub".

Should we delete "aegisub-svn" too? In this way, we will have:

[1] "aegisub-bin" which refers to the old (precompiled) stable version
[2] "aegisub-stable-svn" which refers to the next stable version

When 2.1.9 comes out, we could just update the "aegisub-bin" package with
prebuilt binaries, if they will be put out by devs. Regarding the "aegisub"
package, how are you going to proceed? It will build 2.1.9 from sources?