Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

Default Orphan all old packages flagged as out-of-date

On 06/07/2011 12:14 PM, Andrea Scarpino wrote:

Hi TUs,
I'd like to orphan all packages in AUR flagged as out-of-date before February
2011 (for example, I think 3 months are enough).

What do you think about? Maybe Loui/Lukas can provide a list?

Maintainers will not get a notification about that (FS#15412), but I guess they
doesn't care anymore about their packages.

Cheers

Sounds fair to me. +1

Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 12:14 PM, Andrea Scarpino wrote:
>>
>> Hi TUs,
>> I'd like to orphan all packages in AUR flagged as out-of-date before
>> February
>> 2011 (for example, I think 3 months are enough).
>>
>> What do you think about? Maybe Loui/Lukas can provide a list?
>>
>> Maintainers will not get a notification about that (FS#15412), but I guess
>> they
>> doesn't care anymore about their packages.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
> Sounds fair to me. +1

sounds fair +1

Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Jakob Gruber

I'd like to orphan all packages in AUR flagged as out-of-date before February
2011 (for example, I think 3 months are enough).

What do you think about? Maybe Loui/Lukas can provide a list?

Maintainers will not get a notification about that (FS#15412), but I guess they
doesn't care anymore about their packages.

Cheers

Sounds good to me.
For reference, the statement I wrote for the last mass AUR cleanup can
be found here: http://pastebin.com/GQeKsY4W

AFAIK the DB schema has changed since then though.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Ray Rashif

On 7 June 2011 18:14, Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi TUs,
> I'd like to orphan all packages in AUR flagged as out-of-date before February
> 2011 (for example, I think 3 months are enough).

I find 3 months are not enough (for a busy person). 6 is a nicer
number, i.e half a year, plenty of time for short bursts of free time
(for a busy person).

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Bernardo Barros

Also, why not setup an automatic reminder (email) every month?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Ernie Brodeur

Hello,

A thought from the new guy . . .

At three months, if it gets orphaned they can always reclaim it and actually
start maintaining it.

Maybe a notification that they were affected by the orphaning? or a grace
window?

it would be a graceful compromise between the two.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Allan McRae

I'd like to orphan all packages in AUR flagged as out-of-date
before February 2011 (for example, I think 3 months are enough).

I find 3 months are not enough (for a busy person). 6 is a nicer
number, i.e half a year, plenty of time for short bursts of free time
(for a busy person).

I agree, 3 months is a too short span of time.

Seriously? If someone can not find the time to update a package in 3
months, there will be other people who can do a better job. If we
waited 6 months for updates, we might as well be using Ubunutu.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 AM
rafael ff1

2011/6/8 Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:

> Seriously? *If someone can not find the time to update a package in 3
> months, there will be other people who can do a better job. *If we waited 6
> months for updates, we might as well be using Ubunutu.

I agree that waiting that long is too much. IMHO, it would be nice
(and smoother) to have a notification generated for "hey, man, this is
a warning: XYZ package is out-of-date! More time and will be disowned"
in the 1,5 month (or something like that) and, after 3 months,
automatically disown the package, with notification this time.

-- Rafael

Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Jelle van der Waa

I'd like to orphan all packages in AUR flagged as out-of-date
before February 2011 (for example, I think 3 months are enough).

I find 3 months are not enough (for a busy person). 6 is a nicer
number, i.e half a year, plenty of time for short bursts of free
time (for a busy person).

I agree, 3 months is a too short span of time.

Seriously? If someone can not find the time to update a package in 3
months, there will be other people who can do a better job. If we
waited 6 months for updates, we might as well be using Ubunutu.

If it really bothers people they simply request an orphanage and that's
it.

+1 for the notification idea

I Like Allan idea, 3 months is enough, normally we mail someone and wait
for 2 weeks. Wait 2 months, notify, after 3 months orphan.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Martti Kühne

>> +1 for the notification idea
-1 from me. I thought we agreed that the aur was passive by not
bugging its users about stuff.