Old 06-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Det

Default Orphan all old packages flagged as out-of-date

On 6/8/11, Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> +1 for the notification idea
> -1 from me. I thought we agreed that the aur was passive by not
> bugging its users about stuff.

Yes! Stop sending me those damn "out-of-date" notifications!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Ray Rashif

On 8 June 2011 12:13, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 08/06/11 14:01, Thorsten Töpper wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 05:05:22 +0800
>> Ray Rashif<schiv@archlinux.org> *wrote:

>>> I find 3 months are not enough (for a busy person). 6 is a nicer
>>> number, i.e half a year, plenty of time for short bursts of free time
>>> (for a busy person).
>>
>> I agree, 3 months is a too short span of time.
>>

> Seriously? *If someone can not find the time to update a package in 3
> months, there will be other people who can do a better job. *If we waited 6
> months for updates, we might as well be using Ubunutu.

Hmm..I suppose that'd be a bit too lenient.

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10

Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Bernardo Barros

2011/6/8 Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:
> Seriously? *If someone can not find the time to update a package in 3
> months, there will be other people who can do a better job. *If we waited 6
> months for updates, we might as well be using Ubunutu.

Well, it's different. I think that could happen two whole different situations:

1. What I meant initially was: it is better to have a package outdated
for a little time (3 or 6 months) then to orphan it and leave it alone
until it finds another brave soul, maybe never.

2. The other situation is: another person already wants to take
responsibility immediately, or even better, this new person already
has a cool new and improved PKGBUILD in pastebin, and the maintainer
does even bothered to accept the patch or even reply!

Then one or two weeks without reply is enough to transfer the maintenance.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Ernie Brodeur

As a new guy, #2 happens a lot.

I've had several improved pkgbuild's (for spideroak) as an example.

I point out the mistakes, and the current version, ask for disown. Gets
disowned. Somebody comes the next day, takes ownership and never addresses
any concerns. So the package has had two terrible maintainers.

Since the package isn't out of date, nothing can be done, but #2 happens a
LOT.

Considering that, I'd rather see a package out of date and disowned then
owned and out of date. At least disowned will give the chance to somebody
else to step up to the plate and take responsibility, vs sitting there with
nobody quite sure what the current maintainer is thinking/doing.

Would it be possible to show when the maintainer last even looked at a page,
on the page? something like a 'modified' timestamp or some other clue how
long this person has been absent.