Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
member graysky

Default changing a PKG's name and retaining votes/comments

I maintain the kernel26-ck in the AUR. Once the devs decide on a new
name for the kernel package based on the upcoming "3.0" release,
either "linux" or "kernel" or "kernel30" or whatever, is it possible
to change the name of my "kernel26-ck" PKG and retain all of the
comments/votes it has under the current name?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:53 PM, member graysky <graysky@archlinux.us> wrote:
> I maintain the kernel26-ck in the AUR. *Once the devs decide on a new
> name for the kernel package based on the upcoming "3.0" release,
> either "linux" or "kernel" or "kernel30" or whatever, is it possible
> to change the name of my "kernel26-ck" PKG and retain all of the
> comments/votes it has under the current name?
>
> Thanks!

It's not possible. You'll need to submit the new package to AUR, then
send a note on this ML to have the old one removed.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
"D. Can Celasun"

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:53 PM, member graysky <graysky@archlinux.us>
> wrote:
> > I maintain the kernel26-ck in the AUR. Once the devs decide on a new
> > name for the kernel package based on the upcoming "3.0" release,
> > either "linux" or "kernel" or "kernel30" or whatever, is it possible
> > to change the name of my "kernel26-ck" PKG and retain all of the
> > comments/votes it has under the current name?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> It's not possible. You'll need to submit the new package to AUR, then
> send a note on this ML to have the old one removed.

If this is not technically possible (which is kinda hard to believe), it
should be implemented. I don't care about the votes, but comments are
usually extremely relevant to the package (and very much useful) and they
shouldn't be lost just because changing a single string in a db is "not
possible". We already lost countless useful comments on AUR before, let's
not do it again.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 17:07, D. Can Celasun <dcelasun@gmail.com> wrote:
> If this is not technically possible (which is kinda hard to believe), it
> should be implemented.

You should send in a patch that would allow TUs to do it.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM
"D. Can Celasun"

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:45 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 17:07, D. Can Celasun <dcelasun@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If this is not technically possible (which is kinda hard to believe), it
> > should be implemented.
>
> You should send in a patch that would allow TUs to do it.

As requested, patch attached. This should allow TUs to change the package
name.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Emmanuel Gras

Hi,

>> I maintain the kernel26-ck in the AUR.
>
> It's not possible. You'll need to submit the new package to AUR, then
> send a note on this ML to have the old one removed.

I had the same question for kernel26-source[1]. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Emmanuel

[1] : http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17189