Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Peter Lewis

Default List for new package announcements?

On Thursday 13 January 2011 18:00:12 Christoph wrote:
> > > Slight OT, thanks for pointing out this package, I now have more font
> > > compatibility than previously =)
> >
> > Indeed!
> >
> > Even more OT, wouldn't it be kinda cool if there was a mailing list or
> > something where people could post simply with news of new packages? I
> > can't imagine it would be very high traffic, but it would be interesting
> > to read in order to try new software out.
>
> "AUR Home" tells me:
> Packages added or updated in the past 7 days: 2804
>
> This makes an average of 400 per day, 16 per hour...
> In my opinion that's too many...

Well, that includes every package that's even just version bumped! I don't
know, but I'd imagine that updates to existing packages make up the vast
majority of the uploads to the AUR.

I had in mind a list with no automation, just a place where people could post
notifications about a *new* package upload, not "foo is now at version 2.3". I
don't think update notifications would be at all appropriate, unless they
provide significant new functionality that might make someone look anew at a
piece of software.

A message might look like this:

Subject: AUR/ttf-vista-fonts
ttf-vista fonts is a new package which provides nice new fonts included in
Windows Vista. Installing this might help with font compatibility in some
applications.

(or something like that).

Also, it should be totally optional, just a place for useful voluntary
notices, really. I certainly don't think that it would be high traffic.

On Thursday 13 January 2011 18:34:23 Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> > > I agree, some sort of pipe to talk about the new packages would be a
> > > nice thing to have, while I recognize the scope of adoptions and
> > > package updates
> >
> > > I still think it is worth consideration.
> >
> > I agree. Furthermore, I don't think everyone who updates or releases a
> > package would make an announcement, so whilst it may be there are 16
> > submissions per-hour to the AUR, it's very unlikely that there would be
> > 16 announcements per-hour on a mailing list created for the purpose of
> > making such announcements.
> >
> > Of course, I'm not really in a position to say whether or not the
> > potential level of traffic is too great, but I would like to see such a
> > list implemented if it were at all possible.
>
> One of my greatest professional advantages is found in software awareness,
> knowing what is out there and what I can leverage, I agree with Joel that
> it would be highly advantageous to the community to have a place to post
> this sort of stuff. If anything else presenting it as an experiment, I
> think, is worth consideration.

Okay. Let's wait for a few more opinions - this wouldn't have to be just AUR
either. New stuff in the binary repos could be included too.

Pete.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Thomas S Hatch

2011/1/13 Peter Lewis <plewis@aur.archlinux.org>

> > > Indeed!
> > >
> > > Even more OT, wouldn't it be kinda cool if there was a mailing list or
> > > something where people could post simply with news of new packages? I
> > > can't imagine it would be very high traffic, but it would be
> interesting
> > > to read in order to try new software out.
> >
> > "AUR Home" tells me:
> > Packages added or updated in the past 7 days: 2804
> >
> > This makes an average of 400 per day, 16 per hour...
> > In my opinion that's too many...
>
> Well, that includes every package that's even just version bumped! I don't
> know, but I'd imagine that updates to existing packages make up the vast
> majority of the uploads to the AUR.
>
> I had in mind a list with no automation, just a place where people could
> post
> notifications about a *new* package upload, not "foo is now at version
> 2.3". I
> don't think update notifications would be at all appropriate, unless they
> provide significant new functionality that might make someone look anew at
> piece of software.
>
> A message might look like this:
>
> Subject: AUR/ttf-vista-fonts
> ttf-vista fonts is a new package which provides nice new fonts included in
> Windows Vista. Installing this might help with font compatibility in some
> applications.
>
> (or something like that).
>
> Also, it should be totally optional, just a place for useful voluntary
> notices, really. I certainly don't think that it would be high traffic.

> > > I agree. Furthermore, I don't think everyone who updates or releases a
> > > package would make an announcement, so whilst it may be there are 16
> > > submissions per-hour to the AUR, it's very unlikely that there would be
> > > 16 announcements per-hour on a mailing list created for the purpose of
> > > making such announcements.
> > >
> > > Of course, I'm not really in a position to say whether or not the
> > > potential level of traffic is too great, but I would like to see such a
> > > list implemented if it were at all possible.
> >
> > One of my greatest professional advantages is found in software
> awareness,
> > knowing what is out there and what I can leverage, I agree with Joel that
> > it would be highly advantageous to the community to have a place to post
> > this sort of stuff. If anything else presenting it as an experiment, I
> > think, is worth consideration.
>
> Okay. Let's wait for a few more opinions - this wouldn't have to be just
> AUR
> either. New stuff in the binary repos could be included too.
>
> Pete.

My vote is all for this, I think it would be a hugely advantageous place to
discuss packages moving into Arch, and great place to post information about
packages graduating to community.

For what it is worth +1

-Tom Hatch

Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Joel Heaton

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 18:55 +0000, Peter Lewis wrote:
> I had in mind a list with no automation, just a place where people could post
> notifications about a *new* package upload, not "foo is now at version 2.3". I
> don't think update notifications would be at all appropriate, unless they
> provide significant new functionality that might make someone look anew at a
> piece of software.

My own thinking was similar, but I would include announcements of
adopted and repaired/updated packages as being appropriate. So if foo
had been unusable for a period of time and then dropped by the
maintainer, and you took over responsibility for it, then upon uploading
the new package an announcement would be reasonable in my opinion. But
minor version jumps, as you say, may not be so in some peoples' minds.

> Okay. Let's wait for a few more opinions - this wouldn't have to be just AUR
> either. New stuff in the binary repos could be included too.
>
> Pete.

That's actually something I hadn't considered, but I do like the idea of
getting such announcements regarding the officially supported
repositories, too. This would get my vote (if it counts for anything)
for both official and AUR packages. :-)

Regards,

Joel.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Christoph

Am Donnerstag, 13. Januar 2011, 19:55:58 schrieb Peter Lewis:

> > > Indeed!
> > >
> > > Even more OT, wouldn't it be kinda cool if there was a mailing list or
> > > something where people could post simply with news of new packages? I
> > > can't imagine it would be very high traffic, but it would be
> > > interesting to read in order to try new software out.
> >
> > "AUR Home" tells me:
> > Packages added or updated in the past 7 days: 2804
> >
> > This makes an average of 400 per day, 16 per hour...
> > In my opinion that's too many...
>
> Well, that includes every package that's even just version bumped! I don't
> know, but I'd imagine that updates to existing packages make up the vast
> majority of the uploads to the AUR.
>
> I had in mind a list with no automation, just a place where people could
> post notifications about a *new* package upload, not "foo is now at
> version 2.3". I don't think update notifications would be at all
> appropriate, unless they provide significant new functionality that might
> make someone look anew at a piece of software.

okay, then I misunderstood you. And since the list would be optional anyway, I
have no objection. Should not be too difficult to implement, either: The list,
and some announcements on the right places in the wiki and the forum(s) should
suffice.

Cheers, Christoph

Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 18:55 +0000, Peter Lewis wrote:
> Okay. Let's wait for a few more opinions - this wouldn't have to be just AUR
> either. New stuff in the binary repos could be included too.
>
> Pete.

There ARE no new packages in the binary repos =p. From what I've seen,
everything starts life in the AUR (as an alpha/beta of something).
Anything that goes into the binary repos is discussed on
[arch-dev-public] first.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Seblu

2011/1/13 Peter Lewis <plewis@aur.archlinux.org>:
> On Thursday 13 January 2011 18:00:12 Christoph wrote:
> Okay. Let's wait for a few more opinions - this wouldn't have to be just AUR
> either. New stuff in the binary repos could be included too.
Great idea! If traffic is not heavy, information wite succinctly, this
will be really interesting!

--
Sébastien Luttringer
www.seblu.net

Old 01-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Thomas S Hatch

2011/1/13 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>

> On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 18:55 +0000, Peter Lewis wrote:
> > Okay. Let's wait for a few more opinions - this wouldn't have to be just
> AUR
> > either. New stuff in the binary repos could be included too.
> >
> > Pete.
>
> There ARE no new packages in the binary repos =p. From what I've seen,
> everything starts life in the AUR (as an alpha/beta of something).
> Anything that goes into the binary repos is discussed on
> [arch-dev-public] first.

Right everything does start in the AUR, but if a package is moving from the
AUR into community, it is probably a noteworthy package, and a noteworthy
event - and I want to hear about it.

Also, when there is a major update to a package, I would love to hear about
it.

Maintaining a radar on the vast array of open source software packages is
hard, but this strikes me as one of the best ways for us to be given simple
news, presented by the people packaging the software.

This would also make a great place for the packager to let the rest of the
community know about their latest packages, and why they bothered to package
them at all.

-Tom Hatch