Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Stefan Husmann

Default Please delete ttf-ms-extrafonts

Am 13.01.2011 16:00, schrieb Marcel Korpel:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Can someone please delete ttf-ms-extrafonts [1]; it has no maintainer
> and as mutlu_inek said in the comments his ttf-vista-fonts [2]
> provides the same fonts and has a more liberal license.
>
> Regards,
> Marcel
>
> [1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35297
> [2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=10408

Done, thank you.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 16:57 +0100, Stefan Husmann wrote:
> Am 13.01.2011 16:00, schrieb Marcel Korpel:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Can someone please delete ttf-ms-extrafonts [1]; it has no maintainer
> > and as mutlu_inek said in the comments his ttf-vista-fonts [2]
> > provides the same fonts and has a more liberal license.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marcel
> >
> > [1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35297
> > [2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=10408
> >

> Done, thank you.

Slight OT, thanks for pointing out this package, I now have more font
compatibility than previously =)

Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Peter Lewis

On Thursday 13 January 2011 17:01:42 Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 16:57 +0100, Stefan Husmann wrote:
> > Am 13.01.2011 16:00, schrieb Marcel Korpel:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > Can someone please delete ttf-ms-extrafonts [1]; it has no maintainer
> > > and as mutlu_inek said in the comments his ttf-vista-fonts [2]
> > > provides the same fonts and has a more liberal license.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Marcel
> > >
> > > [1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35297
> > > [2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=10408
> >
> > Done, thank you.
>
> Slight OT, thanks for pointing out this package, I now have more font
> compatibility than previously =)

Indeed!

Even more OT, wouldn't it be kinda cool if there was a mailing list or
something where people could post simply with news of new packages? I can't
imagine it would be very high traffic, but it would be interesting to read in
order to try new software out.

Pete.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Christoph

Am Donnerstag, 13. Januar 2011, 18:21:41 schrieb Peter Lewis:
> On Thursday 13 January 2011 17:01:42 Ng Oon-Ee wrote:

> > > Done, thank you.
> >
> > Slight OT, thanks for pointing out this package, I now have more font
> > compatibility than previously =)
>
> Indeed!
>
> Even more OT, wouldn't it be kinda cool if there was a mailing list or
> something where people could post simply with news of new packages? I can't
> imagine it would be very high traffic, but it would be interesting to read
> in order to try new software out.

"AUR Home" tells me:
Packages added or updated in the past 7 days: 2804

This makes an average of 400 per day, 16 per hour...
In my opinion that's too many...

Cheers, Christoph

Old 01-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Thomas S Hatch

2011/1/13 Christoph <chrdr@gmx.at>

> Am Donnerstag, 13. Januar 2011, 18:21:41 schrieb Peter Lewis:

> maintainer

> > > Slight OT, thanks for pointing out this package, I now have more font
> > > compatibility than previously =)
> >
> > Indeed!
> >
> > Even more OT, wouldn't it be kinda cool if there was a mailing list or
> > something where people could post simply with news of new packages? I
> can't
> > imagine it would be very high traffic, but it would be interesting to
> read
> > in order to try new software out.
>
> "AUR Home" tells me:
> Packages added or updated in the past 7 days: 2804
>
> This makes an average of 400 per day, 16 per hour...
> In my opinion that's too many...
>
> Cheers, Christoph

I thought that the community contributions was the place to post about new
packages, thats where I put info about things like varch and libguestfs, but
I agree, some sort of pipe to talk about the new packages would be a nice
thing to have, while I recognize the scope of adoptions and package updates
I still think it is worth consideration.

-Tom Hatch

Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Magnus Therning

On 13/01/11 18:00, Christoph wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 13. Januar 2011, 18:21:41 schrieb Peter Lewis:

>>> Slight OT, thanks for pointing out this package, I now have more font
>>> compatibility than previously =)
>>
>> Indeed!
>>
>> Even more OT, wouldn't it be kinda cool if there was a mailing list or
>> something where people could post simply with news of new packages? I can't
>> imagine it would be very high traffic, but it would be interesting to read
>> in order to try new software out.
>
> "AUR Home" tells me:
> Packages added or updated in the past 7 days: 2804
>
> This makes an average of 400 per day, 16 per hour...
> In my opinion that's too many...

Please look at a seven-day period that doesn't include yesterday (Wed 12).
Yours truly have had a very high impact on that number; all haskell packages
were updated yesterday.

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org

Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Joel Heaton

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 11:04 -0700, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> 2011/1/13 Christoph <chrdr@gmx.at>
> > > Indeed!
> > >
> > > Even more OT, wouldn't it be kinda cool if there was a mailing list or
> > > something where people could post simply with news of new packages? I
> > can't
> > > imagine it would be very high traffic, but it would be interesting to
> > read
> > > in order to try new software out.
> >
> > "AUR Home" tells me:
> > Packages added or updated in the past 7 days: 2804
> >
> > This makes an average of 400 per day, 16 per hour...
> > In my opinion that's too many...
> >
> > Cheers, Christoph
> >

> I thought that the community contributions was the place to post about new
> packages, thats where I put info about things like varch and libguestfs, but
> I agree, some sort of pipe to talk about the new packages would be a nice
> thing to have, while I recognize the scope of adoptions and package updates
> I still think it is worth consideration.
>
> -Tom Hatch

I agree. Furthermore, I don't think everyone who updates or releases a
package would make an announcement, so whilst it may be there are 16
submissions per-hour to the AUR, it's very unlikely that there would be
16 announcements per-hour on a mailing list created for the purpose of
making such announcements.

Of course, I'm not really in a position to say whether or not the
potential level of traffic is too great, but I would like to see such a
list implemented if it were at all possible.

Regards,

Joel.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Thomas S Hatch

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Joel Heaton <jheaton@archlinux.us> wrote:

> or
> > > can't
> > > read
> > >
> > > "AUR Home" tells me:
> > > Packages added or updated in the past 7 days: 2804
> > >
> > > This makes an average of 400 per day, 16 per hour...
> > > In my opinion that's too many...
> > >
> > > Cheers, Christoph
> > >

> > I thought that the community contributions was the place to post about
> new
> > packages, thats where I put info about things like varch and libguestfs,
> but
> > I agree, some sort of pipe to talk about the new packages would be a nice
> > thing to have, while I recognize the scope of adoptions and package
> updates
> > I still think it is worth consideration.
> >
> > -Tom Hatch
>
> I agree. Furthermore, I don't think everyone who updates or releases a
> package would make an announcement, so whilst it may be there are 16
> submissions per-hour to the AUR, it's very unlikely that there would be
> 16 announcements per-hour on a mailing list created for the purpose of
> making such announcements.
>
> Of course, I'm not really in a position to say whether or not the
> potential level of traffic is too great, but I would like to see such a
> list implemented if it were at all possible.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joel.

One of my greatest professional advantages is found in software awareness,
knowing what is out there and what I can leverage, I agree with Joel that it
would be highly advantageous to the community to have a place to post this
sort of stuff. If anything else presenting it as an experiment, I think, is
worth consideration.

-Tom