Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Kaiting Chen

Default Does anyone use tdl?

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Lauri Niskanen <ape@ape3000.com> wrote:

> On 01/08/11 21:38, Kaiting Chen wrote:
>
>> Just out of curiosity does anyone use tdl? The last release was way back
>> in
>> 2004. --Kaiting.
>>

> I use it. However, if you know better applications for the same job, please
> tell me.

How about RememberTheMilk? --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Mike Sampson

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Lauri Niskanen <ape@ape3000.com> wrote:
> On 01/08/11 21:38, Kaiting Chen wrote:
>>
>> Just out of curiosity does anyone use tdl? The last release was way back
>> in
>> 2004. --Kaiting.
>>
>> [1]: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/tdl/
>>

> I use it. However, if you know better applications for the same job, please
> tell me.

Task Warrior - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22085

Mike

Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Bjørn Michelsen

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 09:54:10PM +0200, Lauri Niskanen wrote:

> On 01/08/11 21:38, Kaiting Chen wrote:

> >Just out of curiosity does anyone use tdl? The last release was way back in
> >2004. --Kaiting.
> >
> >[1]: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/tdl/
> >

> I use it. However, if you know better applications for the same job,
> please tell me.

I use etm, which is an "Event and Task Manager"

http://www.duke.edu/~dgraham/ETM/

It's available in aur over at

Sincerely,
Bjorn Michelsen

Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Peter Lewis

On Saturday 08 January 2011 23:23:26 Mike Sampson wrote:
> >> [1]: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/tdl/
> >
> > I use it. However, if you know better applications for the same job,
> > please tell me.
>
> Task Warrior - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22085

+1, this is great.

Pete.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Magnus Therning

On 08/01/11 23:18, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Lauri Niskanen <ape@ape3000.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/08/11 21:38, Kaiting Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Just out of curiosity does anyone use tdl? The last release was way back
>>> in
>>> 2004. --Kaiting.
>>>

>> I use it. However, if you know better applications for the same job, please
>> tell me.
>>

> How about RememberTheMilk? --Kaiting.

Are you referring to http://www.rememberthemilk.com/ ? They seem to
target very different problems. I use tdl for per-project todo-lists,
and I check the list into version control. RememberTheMilk would not be
a suitable replacement for that.

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org

Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Magnus Therning

On 08/01/11 19:38, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> Just out of curiosity does anyone use tdl? The last release was way back in
> 2004. --Kaiting.

I use it occasionally, it's a nice, light-weight little ToDo manager.

/M

Old 01-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Kaiting Chen

On Jan 9, 2011, at 5:54, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:

> On 08/01/11 19:38, Kaiting Chen wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity does anyone use tdl? The last release was way back in
>> 2004. --Kaiting.
>
> I use it occasionally, it's a nice, light-weight little ToDo manager.

Okay I was just wondering whether or not I should keep it in [community]. Looks like I should. --Kaiting.

Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Old 01-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Magnus Therning

On 09/01/11 17:33, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2011, at 5:54, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
>> On 08/01/11 19:38, Kaiting Chen wrote:
>>> Just out of curiosity does anyone use tdl? The last release was way back in
>>> 2004. --Kaiting.
>>
>> I use it occasionally, it's a nice, light-weight little ToDo manager.
>
> Okay I was just wondering whether or not I should keep it in [community]. Looks like I should. --Kaiting.

I'd nominate it for a migration back to AUR actually. So far people seem to
have gotten excited about all the alternatives suggested in the thread, and
personally I can always use vimoutliner instead anyway :-)

Is there no "package popularity contest" that could offer information about
actual usage?

/M

Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Thomas S Hatch

Well said magnus, if it is low on the usage stats we could simply move it to
the aur, and if the votes climb we can bring it back to community, right?
But the program does seem to be unmaintained, and there are many alts...

Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Kaiting Chen

On Jan 9, 2011, at 12:50, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
> Is there no "package popularity contest" that could offer information about
> actual usage?

This is always an interesting topic to discuss. There is pkgstats which unfortunately is not ideal statistically in that it does not pull data from a characteristic sample. To figure out actual usage data is probably impossible. The metrics from MirrorBrain might be the closest one can actually get to that. Unfortunately that is not what we use to manage our mirrors. --Kaiting.

Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/