Old 01-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Brad Fanella

Default Anybody want apvlv?

So with the recent release of apvlv 0.1.0, I have decided to drop
maintaining it.

I believe it now supports UMD file reading of some sort, and this
requires the whole the PSP toolchain to be packaged and submitted to
the repo, which is something I have no interest in doing whatsoever,
as I haven't even used the software in months.

Any takers (TUs of course)?

Regards,
Brad

Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Stefan Husmann

Am 08.01.2011 20:27, schrieb Brad Fanella:
> So with the recent release of apvlv 0.1.0, I have decided to drop
> maintaining it.
>
> I believe it now supports UMD file reading of some sort, and this
> requires the whole the PSP toolchain to be packaged and submitted to
> the repo, which is something I have no interest in doing whatsoever,
> as I haven't even used the software in months.
>
> Any takers (TUs of course)?
>
> Regards,
> Brad

Hello,

what about not supporting umd files? There is an configure-option
"--without-umd"?

I can take it back, but I am not interested in supporting umd, too.

Regards Stefan

Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Brad Fanella

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Stefan Husmann
<stefan-husmann@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 08.01.2011 20:27, schrieb Brad Fanella:
>> So with the recent release of apvlv 0.1.0, I have decided to drop
>> maintaining it.
>>
>> I believe it now supports UMD file reading of some sort, and this
>> requires the whole the PSP toolchain to be packaged and submitted to
>> the repo, which is something I have no interest in doing whatsoever,
>> as I haven't even used the software in months.
>>
>> Any takers (TUs of course)?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Brad
>>
> Hello,
>
> what about not supporting umd files? There is an configure-option
> "--without-umd"?
>
> I can take it back, but I am not interested in supporting umd, too.
>
> Regards Stefan

I was contemplating doing that, but I assumed that that was considered
a "downstream modification", and would take away some functionality of
the software, therefore not allowed.

I have no problem keeping it if I do not have to build with UMD support.

Regards,
Brad

Old 01-10-2011, 05:05 AM
Ray Rashif

On 9 January 2011 03:27, Brad Fanella <bradfanella@archlinux.us> wrote:
> So with the recent release of apvlv 0.1.0, I have decided to drop
> maintaining it.
>
> I believe it now supports UMD file reading of some sort, and this
> requires the whole the PSP toolchain to be packaged and submitted to
> the repo, which is something I have no interest in doing whatsoever,
> as I haven't even used the software in months.

What exactly is this "PSP toolchain"? Are the tools available from AUR?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Brad Fanella

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Ray Rashif <schiv@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 9 January 2011 03:27, Brad Fanella <bradfanella@archlinux.us> wrote:
>> So with the recent release of apvlv 0.1.0, I have decided to drop
>> maintaining it.
>>
>> I believe it now supports UMD file reading of some sort, and this
>> requires the whole the PSP toolchain to be packaged and submitted to
>> the repo, which is something I have no interest in doing whatsoever,
>> as I haven't even used the software in months.
>
> What exactly is this "PSP toolchain"? Are the tools available from AUR?

Think of it as something similar to, say, the AVR toolchain. It is
simply packages that are patched/modified for a certain architecture,
which is the PSP (PlayStation Portable) in this case.

You can check out:
http://svn.ps2dev.org/listing.php?repname=psp&path=/trunk/&rev=0&sc=0

I couldn't find any PSP/UMD-related packages in the official repos, nor the AUR.

Regards,
Brad

Old 01-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Thorsten Töpper

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:21:55 -0600 Brad Fanella
<bradfanella@archlinux.us> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Stefan Husmann
> <stefan-husmann@t-online.de> wrote:
> > Am 08.01.2011 20:27, schrieb Brad Fanella:
> >> So with the recent release of apvlv 0.1.0, I have decided to drop
> >> maintaining it.
> >>
> >> I believe it now supports UMD file reading of some sort, and this
> >> requires the whole the PSP toolchain to be packaged and submitted
> >> to the repo, which is something I have no interest in doing
> >> whatsoever, as I haven't even used the software in months.
> >>
> >> Any takers (TUs of course)?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Brad
> >>
> > Hello,
> >
> > what about not supporting umd files? There is an configure-option
> > "--without-umd"?
> >
> > I can take it back, but I am not interested in supporting umd, too.
> >
> > Regards Stefan
> >

> I was contemplating doing that, but I assumed that that was considered
> a "downstream modification", and would take away some functionality of
> the software, therefore not allowed.
>
> I have no problem keeping it if I do not have to build with UMD
> support.
>
> Regards,
> Brad

You don't have to bring that, if some functionality can be modified
using configure/make commands, there's no one who can complain,
upstream made it possible, so it is obviously also in their intent to
let people build it with features they need. If a user needs it, but
not the majority of users, well, we have abs, not much of a deal to do
a modified rebuild for what one needs.

Though I'm a bit confused, I myself own a PSP (old FAT/1000 model) and
UMDs are the "caged" hardware disks, an ebook reader for this? Sure
they don't mean another format for document files?

--
Jabber: atsutane@freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
Key: 295AFBF4 FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4

Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Ray Rashif

On 11 January 2011 05:10, Brad Fanella <bradfanella@archlinux.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Ray Rashif <schiv@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On 9 January 2011 03:27, Brad Fanella <bradfanella@archlinux.us> wrote:
>>> So with the recent release of apvlv 0.1.0, I have decided to drop
>>> maintaining it.
>>>
>>> I believe it now supports UMD file reading of some sort, and this
>>> requires the whole the PSP toolchain to be packaged and submitted to
>>> the repo, which is something I have no interest in doing whatsoever,
>>> as I haven't even used the software in months.
>>
>> What exactly is this "PSP toolchain"? Are the tools available from AUR?
>>

> Think of it as something similar to, say, the AVR toolchain. It is
> simply packages that are patched/modified for a certain architecture,
> which is the PSP (PlayStation Portable) in this case.
>
> You can check out:
> http://svn.ps2dev.org/listing.php?repname=psp&path=/trunk/&rev=0&sc=0
>
> I couldn't find any PSP/UMD-related packages in the official repos, nor the AUR.

An entire toolchain for a viewer? Either abandon the software
altogether or build it without this "feature".

Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Jakob Gruber

[...]

Nah, umd in this case is an ebook file format, so you don't need a PSP
toolchain

Brad, I think you solved this already?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Brad Fanella

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Jakob Gruber <jakob.gruber@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nah, umd in this case is an ebook file format, so you don't need a PSP
> toolchain
> Brad, I think you solved this already?

Yes, I have solved this. I apologize for my ignorance; I was not aware
of the UMD ebook format (for mobile devices IIRC). All of this was
sorted out in the IRC channel. :-)

Although, the reason I wasn't able to build (link, to be more
specific) was the fact that upstream forgot to strip the object files
and binaries from the src/ dir. A "make clean" in the PKGBUILD fixed
this.

Regards,
Brad