Old 01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

Default TU Application -Thomas Hatch

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > Set up MooseFS support for Arch – This is a VERY cool project that I
>> > strongly recommend people take a look at : moosefs.org
>> >
>> > I have been working on standardizing the Ocaml packages for Arch and
>> > currently maintain about 25 Ocaml packages.
>> >
>> > I am the author of the Varch Project:
>> >
>> > http://code.google.com/p/varch/
>> >
>> > My packages and project staging repo is at:
>> >
>> > http://code.google.com/p/enterprise-archlinux/
>> >
>> > I am working on a project that I hope will greatly benefit Arch called
>> > quarters:
>> >
>> > http://code.google.com/p/quarters/
>> >
>> > It is still sparse, I just started a re architect
>> >
>> > And my packages for you to look over:
>> >
>> > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=thatch45
>> >
>> > All in all, I am deeply passionate about open source and Linux, I believe
>> in
>> > the pragmatic approach to Linux and have continued to find Arch as one
>> of,
>> > if the the, superior Linux distribution out there today, not only in
>> > principal, but also in engineering.
>> >
>> > My hope is to assist in bringing ArchLinux further into the forefront of
>> the
>> > overall Linux community and to continue to port enterprise grade software
>> > Arch.
>> >
>> > Hopefully my current contributions suffice to allow me to work as a TU,
>> if
>> > there is anything in my contributions or packages that needs improvement,
>> or
>> > if there is anything else I can do to improve my standing, please let me
>> > know so I can make my application as spotless as possible.
>> >
>> > -thatch45
>> >
>> > -Thomas S Hatch
>> >

>> quarters seems like an interesting project. Also, can you give
>> examples of enterprise grade software you would bring into
>> [community], are you talking about the packages you currently
>> maintain? Overall awesome, and +1 from me once you answer my question
>> =)
>>

> At this point yes, mostly things like puppet and libguestfs (of course
> puppet still relies on ruby 1.8, so that will have to wait a bit still). One
> of my goals is really to bring more automation and virtualization support to
> Arch.
>
> Also to bring in things like func and certmaster, and to package more
> automation systems than just puppet.
>
> I also want to bring a number of technologies used by Red Hat to Arch, and
> by technologies I mean more along the lines of copying things that we know
> have worked for other distros. *This would involve the quarters project and
> varch of course (so koji for redhat == quarters for Arch; thincrust for
> redhat == varch for Arch). but also get a number of the fedorahosted
> projects that could benefit Arch ported over (I still need to query which
> ones to bring over).
>
> That, and anything I can come up with that would benefit Arch of course

Ok, but do keep in mind to bring in packages with over 10 votes,
otherwise +1 from me

Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Thomas S Hatch

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> potential

> >> Science.
> >> mirror
> based
> >> on
> >> was
> before
> >> the

> >> software
> employed
> >> as

> the

> >> process

> believe
> >> in
> >> of,

> of
> >> the
> software

> TU,
> >> if
> improvement,
> >> or
> me

> >> quarters seems like an interesting project. Also, can you give
> >> examples of enterprise grade software you would bring into
> >> [community], are you talking about the packages you currently
> >> maintain? Overall awesome, and +1 from me once you answer my question
> >> =)
> >>

> > At this point yes, mostly things like puppet and libguestfs (of course
> > puppet still relies on ruby 1.8, so that will have to wait a bit still).
> One
> > of my goals is really to bring more automation and virtualization support
> > Arch.
> >
> > Also to bring in things like func and certmaster, and to package more
> > automation systems than just puppet.
> >
> > I also want to bring a number of technologies used by Red Hat to Arch,
> and
> > by technologies I mean more along the lines of copying things that we
> know
> > have worked for other distros. This would involve the quarters project
> and
> > varch of course (so koji for redhat == quarters for Arch; thincrust for
> > redhat == varch for Arch). but also get a number of the fedorahosted
> > projects that could benefit Arch ported over (I still need to query which
> > ones to bring over).
> >
> > That, and anything I can come up with that would benefit Arch of course
>

> Ok, but do keep in mind to bring in packages with over 10 votes,
> otherwise +1 from me

Of course! I have no intention of just dumping a bunch of packages into
community that don't have the votes!

Thanks for the +1!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Cédric Girard

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45@gmail.com> wrote:

> Set up MooseFS support for Arch – This is a VERY cool project that I
> strongly recommend people take a look at : moosefs.org

Thanks for speaking about this. I was looking for something able to do
exactly what MooseFS does.

Good luck with you application !

--
Cédric Girard

Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Thomas S Hatch

2011/1/5 Cédric Girard <girard.cedric@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Set up MooseFS support for Arch – This is a VERY cool project that I
> > strongly recommend people take a look at : moosefs.org
> >

> Thanks for speaking about this. I was looking for something able to do
> exactly what MooseFS does.
>
> Good luck with you application !
>
> --
> Cédric Girard

If you have any questions about MooseFS feel free to ask me, it has been an
amazing application for my company!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Kaiting Chen

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have any questions about MooseFS feel free to ask me, it has been an
> amazing application for my company!

I'm about to do some minor hijacking of your application thread. How does
MooseFS compare with Lustre? --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Thomas S Hatch

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If you have any questions about MooseFS feel free to ask me, it has been
> an
> > amazing application for my company!
> >

> I'm about to do some minor hijacking of your application thread. How does
> MooseFS compare with Lustre? --Kaiting.
>
> --
> Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Hijack away, as long as I get the vote

So the big difference with MooseFS is that it will run on commodity hardware
and can be set up by a monkey.
So you don't need hardware HPC equipment, just a bunch of computers with
hard drives. This means it can scale and works well for both small and very
large deployments.
I set it up to test it on just a couple of virtual machines and it ran like
a dream, and it also runs like a dream on my company's 165 TB setup
supporting over 12 million files.

There are a lot of other differences, but all in all, MooseFS is much MUCH
more KISS than Lustre, effectively delivers the same product, is very fast
for a distributed file system and is a snap to set up!
Grab a couple of machines and try it out!