Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Thomas S Hatch

Default TU Application -Thomas Hatch

Hello, ArchLinux Tus

Xyne has agreed to sponsor me as a TU. I am very excited at the potential
opportunity to become more directly involved with the development of
ArchLinux.

I atteneded Southern Utah University (SUU) where I studied Computer Science.
While at SUU I set up one of the first American ArchLinux mirrors, a mirror
which is still in operation – locke.suu.edu. At SUU I also worked as a
research assistant and developed a (now defunct) Linux distribution based on
Arch called Axiom Linux for rediculously parallel compute clusters. It was
based on Larch and involved a modified Arch installer, (this was before the
aif days).

Since then I have worked as a trainer for Red Hat, then a systems software
developer for a United States DOD contractor and I am presently employed as
a Sr Systems Engineer at Beyond Oblivion.

My contributions to Arch so far have been:

Created and maintained a working puppet package for Arch, and updated the
existing puppet pacman code.

Ported libguestfs to Arch, this involved working with the libguestfs
developers to create a build port specific to Arch since the build process
requires the creation of a specialized Arch Qemu Vm image.

Set up MooseFS support for Arch – This is a VERY cool project that I
strongly recommend people take a look at : moosefs.org

I have been working on standardizing the Ocaml packages for Arch and
currently maintain about 25 Ocaml packages.

I am the author of the Varch Project:

http://code.google.com/p/varch/

My packages and project staging repo is at:

http://code.google.com/p/enterprise-archlinux/

I am working on a project that I hope will greatly benefit Arch called
quarters:

http://code.google.com/p/quarters/

It is still sparse, I just started a re architect

And my packages for you to look over:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=thatch45

All in all, I am deeply passionate about open source and Linux, I believe in
the pragmatic approach to Linux and have continued to find Arch as one of,
if the the, superior Linux distribution out there today, not only in
principal, but also in engineering.

My hope is to assist in bringing ArchLinux further into the forefront of the
overall Linux community and to continue to port enterprise grade software to
Arch.

Hopefully my current contributions suffice to allow me to work as a TU, if
there is anything in my contributions or packages that needs improvement, or
if there is anything else I can do to improve my standing, please let me
know so I can make my application as spotless as possible.

-thatch45

-Thomas S Hatch

Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, ArchLinux Tus
>
> Xyne has agreed to sponsor me as a TU. I am very excited at the potential
> opportunity to become more directly involved with the development of
> ArchLinux.
>
> I atteneded Southern Utah University (SUU) where I studied Computer Science.
> While at SUU I set up one of the first American ArchLinux mirrors, a mirror
> which is still in operation – locke.suu.edu. At SUU I also worked as a
> research assistant and developed a (now defunct) Linux distribution based on
> Arch called Axiom Linux for rediculously parallel compute clusters. It was
> based on Larch and involved a modified Arch installer, (this was before the
> aif days).
>
> Since then I have worked as a trainer for Red Hat, then a systems software
> developer for a United States DOD contractor and I am presently employed as
> a Sr Systems Engineer at Beyond Oblivion.
>
> My contributions to Arch so far have been:
>
> Created and maintained a working puppet package for Arch, and updated the
> existing puppet pacman code.
>
> Ported libguestfs to Arch, this involved working with the libguestfs
> developers to create a build port specific to Arch since the build process
> requires the creation of a specialized Arch Qemu Vm image.
>
> Set up MooseFS support for Arch – This is a VERY cool project that I
> strongly recommend people take a look at : moosefs.org
>
> I have been working on standardizing the Ocaml packages for Arch and
> currently maintain about 25 Ocaml packages.
>
> I am the author of the Varch Project:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/varch/
>
> My packages and project staging repo is at:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/enterprise-archlinux/
>
> I am working on a project that I hope will greatly benefit Arch called
> quarters:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/quarters/
>
> It is still sparse, I just started a re architect
>
> And my packages for you to look over:
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=thatch45
>
> All in all, I am deeply passionate about open source and Linux, I believe in
> the pragmatic approach to Linux and have continued to find Arch as one of,
> if the the, superior Linux distribution out there today, not only in
> principal, but also in engineering.
>
> My hope is to assist in bringing ArchLinux further into the forefront of the
> overall Linux community and to continue to port enterprise grade software to
> Arch.
>
> Hopefully my current contributions suffice to allow me to work as a TU, if
> there is anything in my contributions or packages that needs improvement, or
> if there is anything else I can do to improve my standing, please let me
> know so I can make my application as spotless as possible.
>
> -thatch45
>
> -Thomas S Hatch

quarters seems like an interesting project. Also, can you give
examples of enterprise grade software you would bring into
[community], are you talking about the packages you currently
maintain? Overall awesome, and +1 from me once you answer my question
=)

Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Thomas S Hatch

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> the
> > overall Linux community and to continue to port enterprise grade software
> > Arch.
> >
> > Hopefully my current contributions suffice to allow me to work as a TU,
> if
> > there is anything in my contributions or packages that needs improvement,
> or
> > if there is anything else I can do to improve my standing, please let me
> > know so I can make my application as spotless as possible.
> >
> > -thatch45
> >
> > -Thomas S Hatch
> >

> quarters seems like an interesting project. Also, can you give
> examples of enterprise grade software you would bring into
> [community], are you talking about the packages you currently
> maintain? Overall awesome, and +1 from me once you answer my question

At this point yes, mostly things like puppet and libguestfs (of course
puppet still relies on ruby 1.8, so that will have to wait a bit still). One
of my goals is really to bring more automation and virtualization support to
Arch.

Also to bring in things like func and certmaster, and to package more
automation systems than just puppet.

I also want to bring a number of technologies used by Red Hat to Arch, and
by technologies I mean more along the lines of copying things that we know
have worked for other distros. This would involve the quarters project and
varch of course (so koji for redhat == quarters for Arch; thincrust for
redhat == varch for Arch). but also get a number of the fedorahosted
projects that could benefit Arch ported over (I still need to query which
ones to bring over).

That, and anything I can come up with that would benefit Arch of course

Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Kaiting Chen

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am working on a project that I hope will greatly benefit Arch called
> quarters:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/quarters/
>
> It is still sparse, I just started a re architect

Hi dude I took a very *quick* look at your project. It looks like most of
your build logic can be replace with just `extra-$arch-build`. Are you
planning on leveraging more of 'devtools' for your re-architecture?
--Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Old 01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Thomas S Hatch

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I am working on a project that I hope will greatly benefit Arch called
> > quarters:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/quarters/
> >
> > It is still sparse, I just started a re architect
> >

> Hi dude I took a very *quick* look at your project. It looks like most of
> your build logic can be replace with just `extra-$arch-build`. Are you
> planning on leveraging more of 'devtools' for your re-architecture?
> --Kaiting.
>
> --
> Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Oh yes!
When I started the first time I was not as aware of the available dev tools,
it is one of the big motivations for the rearchitect! Besides, you never get
software right the first time anyway