Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Bernardo Barros

Default Audio plug-ins name convention

Hi all!

I'm packaging some audio plug-ins and I wanted to know if there is any
naming convention to this, as with fonts.

Since there are different formats (LADSPA, LV2, DSSI and VST), if we
follow the convention used with fonts (like ttf-xxxxx), we will get:

lv2-xxxxx
dssi-xxxxx
ladspa-xxxxx
vst-xxxxx

It makes sense?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Philipp ‹berbacher

Excerpts from Bernardo Barros's message of 2011-01-04 14:54:26 +0100:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm packaging some audio plug-ins and I wanted to know if there is any
> naming convention to this, as with fonts.
>
> Since there are different formats (LADSPA, LV2, DSSI and VST), if we
> follow the convention used with fonts (like ttf-xxxxx), we will get:
>
> lv2-xxxxx
> dssi-xxxxx
> ladspa-xxxxx
> vst-xxxxx
>
> It makes sense?

I think there's no convention yet, but maybe an unspoken one: use the
plugin format in the description.

For ladspa and dssi it makes sense, but vst and lv2 is rather more
difficult. VST can mean at least two incompatible things,
windows and native VSTs.

With LV2 it's similar, given the extensible nature of the format.

So far I had no problems with the current 'convention' unless someone
didn't mention the format.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Ray Rashif

On 4 January 2011 21:54, Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm packaging some audio plug-ins and I wanted to know if there is any
> naming convention to this, as with fonts.

Nope.

> Since there are different formats (LADSPA, LV2, *DSSI and VST), if we
> follow the convention used with fonts (like ttf-xxxxx), we will get:
>
> *lv2-xxxxx
> *dssi-xxxxx
> *ladspa-xxxxx
> *vst-xxxxx
>
> It makes sense?

It makes sense, no doubt about that. Remember to also provide the
general name of the plugin. An example:

'lv2awesome' is a set of LV2 plug-ins. To fit in with the naming
convention, you can name it lv2-awesome, but have:

provides=('lv2awesome')

If that doesn't conflict with anything. Strip 'plugins' and the type
from the name (for the package, not the provision) and try to be as
short as possible, but still make sure people know what it is from one
glance. A real example:

inavada-studio-plugins -> ladspa-invada
provides: 'invada-studio-plugins'
groups: 'ladspa-plugins'
desc: "A set of LADSPA audio effect plug-ins ported from VST by
Invada Records"

invada-studio-plugins-lv2 -> lv2-invada
provides: 'invada-studio-plugins-lv2'
groups: 'lv2-plugins'
desc: "A set of LV2 audio effect plug-ins ported from VST by Invada Records"

For stuff that are apps by their own rights, like calf, skip the
convention. Strictly use the (proposed) convention for plugins-only
packages.

For VST, use the following:

linuxvst-*
win32vst-*

To be honest, conventions only "appear" when in use in the
repositories. We don't yet have that many plugins in extra/community
to warrant use of a convention.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Bernardo Barros

Ray,

I applied this rule, see if you agree and/or have comments about this commit:

https://bitbucket.org/smoge/archaudio/changesets
commit 207
bdcca46a0a12

I find it looks clearer and more organized.

Best!
Bernardo