Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Brieuc ROBLIN

Default packages

On 25 October 2010 15:06, Florian Pritz <bluewind@server-speed.net> wrote:

> On 25.10.2010 12:35, Christopher Brannon wrote:
> > I've been polling <https://archlinux.de/?page=PackageStatistics>
> > regularly for several weeks, and I've noticed that roughly 50% of the
> > packages in [community] are not installed by anyone.
>
> The page doesn't show the whole database.
>
> --
> Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net<bluewind%7D@server-speed.net>

Is there a way to get the whole database ? Would be cool if we could play
with the raw statistics from pkgstat

Old 10-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Pierre Schmitz

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:13:18 +0100, Brieuc ROBLIN
<brieuc.roblin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 October 2010 15:06, Florian Pritz <bluewind@server-speed.net> wrote:
>
>> On 25.10.2010 12:35, Christopher Brannon wrote:
>> > I've been polling <https://archlinux.de/?page=PackageStatistics>
>> > regularly for several weeks, and I've noticed that roughly 50% of the
>> > packages in [community] are not installed by anyone.
>>
>> The page doesn't show the whole database.
>>
>> --
>> Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net<bluewind%7D@server-speed.net>
>>

> Is there a way to get the whole database ? Would be cool if we could play
> with the raw statistics from pkgstat

I can't tell when it'll be done but I am working on a new
implementation. I plan to provide the raw data in different formats
(plain text, csv and json).

The current page only displays packages with >= 1% usage. So 50% of
community is used by less than 1%.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Brieuc Roblin

On 25 October 2010 16:13, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:13:18 +0100, Brieuc ROBLIN
> <brieuc.roblin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 25 October 2010 15:06, Florian Pritz <bluewind@server-speed.net>
> wrote:

> >> The page doesn't show the whole database.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net<bluewind%7D@server-speed.net>
> <bluewind%7D@server-speed.net <bluewind%257D@server-speed.net>>
> >>

> > Is there a way to get the whole database ? Would be cool if we could play
> > with the raw statistics from pkgstat
>
> I can't tell when it'll be done but I am working on a new
> implementation. I plan to provide the raw data in different formats
> (plain text, csv and json).
>
> The current page only displays packages with >= 1% usage. So 50% of
> community is used by less than 1%.
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre<https://users.archlinux.de/%7Epierre>

That would be great. if you need any help to get things done, feel free to
ask

Old 10-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Xyne

Brieuc ROBLIN wrote:

> On 25 October 2010 15:06, Florian Pritz <bluewind@server-speed.net> wrote:
>
> > On 25.10.2010 12:35, Christopher Brannon wrote:
> > > I've been polling <https://archlinux.de/?page=PackageStatistics>
> > > regularly for several weeks, and I've noticed that roughly 50% of the
> > > packages in [community] are not installed by anyone.
> >
> > The page doesn't show the whole database.
> >
> > --
> > Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net<bluewind%7D@server-speed.net>
> >

> Is there a way to get the whole database ? Would be cool if we could play
> with the raw statistics from pkgstat

Not all users submit stats so unless Arch installs spyware on everyone's system
or pools download stats from the mirrors, those states are not sufficient to
motivate removals.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
ngel Velsquez

Well, we can discuss the generated list of the unused packages, I'd be
agree if a package that I maintain it will be removed (in fact is not
remove at all, is a move to AUR) if it's unused.

Cheers

--
Angel Velsquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Ionuț Bîru

here is the list http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Community_cleanup

--
Ionuț

Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Andrea Scarpino

On Monday 25 October 2010 19:50:16 Ionuț Bîru wrote:
> here is the list http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Community_cleanup
I agree to remove them too. At least packages with 0% of usage can be removed.

--
Andrea Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer

Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Cédric Girard

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org>wrote:

> On Monday 25 October 2010 19:50:16 Ionuț Bîru wrote:
> > here is the list http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Community_cleanup
> I agree to remove them too. At least packages with 0% of usage can be
> removed.
>
> --
> Andrea Scarpino
> Arch Linux Developer

And what if we are actually using some of them ? I can think of "cacti" for
instance.

--
Cédric Girard

Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Stefan Husmann

Am 25.10.2010 19:46, schrieb Xyne:
> Brieuc ROBLIN wrote:

>>> The page doesn't show the whole database.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net<bluewind%7D@server-speed.net>
>>>

>> Is there a way to get the whole database ? Would be cool if we could play
>> with the raw statistics from pkgstat
>
> Not all users submit stats so unless Arch installs spyware on everyone's system
> or pools download stats from the mirrors, those states are not sufficient to
> motivate removals.

I agree. We have a rule for not letting packages enter community which have
less than 10 votes _or_ less than 1 percent usage in pkgstats. There were good
reasons to have this decision be based on two sources. If we want to enforce
removal of packages that do fulfil one of these conditions, we need at least
another proposal with a discussion and a voting period afterwards. And I would
be against it.

Regards Stefan

Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Ionuț Bîru

On 10/25/2010 09:22 PM, Andrea Scarpino wrote:

On Monday 25 October 2010 19:50:16 Ionuț Bîru wrote:

here is the list http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Community_cleanup

I agree to remove them too. At least packages with 0% of usage can be removed.

lets don't rush. first lets discuss what can be kept.

for example i want to keep thunberbird-spell and gambas2, python2-docs,
python2-pysfml

--
Ionuț