-   -   Packages that can be moved to aur (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-user-repository/400578-packages-can-moved-aur.html)

Laurent Carlier 07-17-2010 02:44 PM

Packages that can be moved to aur

I would like to start a talk about packages that can be moved to aur, for
various reasons, not only because they are orphaned, but essencially due to
lack of maintainance upstream.

Feel free to comment and add other packages.

striim:
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/striim/
Project seem dead upstream, better alternatives exist

xf4vnc-xcliplistproto
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/xf4vnc-xcliplistproto/
Depend on a cvs snapshot from 2007, not update for 3 years (project is dead ?)

xf4vnc-vncproto
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/xf4vnc-vncproto/
Similar to xf4vnc-xcliplistproto

sfarkxtc
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/sfarkxtc/
Binary only, x86 only (x86_64 with lib32), doesn't seem maintain upstream

Thomas Dziedzic 07-17-2010 03:14 PM

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Laurent Carlier <lordheavym@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to start a talk about packages that can be moved to aur, for
> various reasons, not only because they are orphaned, but essencially due to
> lack of maintainance upstream.
>
> Feel free to comment and add other packages.
>
> striim:
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/striim/
> Project seem dead upstream, better alternatives exist
>
> xf4vnc-xcliplistproto
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/xf4vnc-xcliplistproto/
> Depend on a cvs snapshot from 2007, not update for 3 years (project is dead ?)
>
> xf4vnc-vncproto
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/xf4vnc-vncproto/
> Similar to xf4vnc-xcliplistproto
>
> sfarkxtc
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/sfarkxtc/
> Binary only, x86 only (x86_64 with lib32), doesn't seem maintain upstream

I did
grep -R pkgname /var/abs/community
for all of them and nothing depends on them.

I also think these should be removed.

Thorsten Töpper 07-17-2010 03:56 PM

Packages that can be moved to aur

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 10:14:57 -0500
Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Laurent Carlier
> <lordheavym@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to start a talk about packages that can be moved to
> > aur, for various reasons, not only because they are orphaned, but
> > essencially due to lack of maintainance upstream.
> >
> > Feel free to comment and add other packages.
> >
> > striim:
> > http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/striim/
> > Project seem dead upstream, better alternatives exist
> >
> > xf4vnc-xcliplistproto
> > http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/xf4vnc-xcliplistproto/
> > Depend on a cvs snapshot from 2007, not update for 3 years (project
> > is dead ?)
> >
> > xf4vnc-vncproto
> > http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/xf4vnc-vncproto/
> > Similar to xf4vnc-xcliplistproto
> >
> > sfarkxtc
> > http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/sfarkxtc/
> > Binary only, x86 only (x86_64 with lib32), doesn't seem maintain
> > upstream

> I did
> grep -R pkgname /var/abs/community
> for all of them and nothing depends on them.
>
> I also think these should be removed.

I agree, however I'd say the active maintainers should also be asked.

--
Jabber: atsutane@freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
Key: 295AFBF4 FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4

Ray Rashif 07-17-2010 06:52 PM

On 17/07/2010, Thorsten Töpper <atsutane@freethoughts.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 10:14:57 -0500
> Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Laurent Carlier
>> <lordheavym@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > sfarkxtc
>> > http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/sfarkxtc/
>> > Binary only, x86 only (x86_64 with lib32), doesn't seem maintain
>> > upstream

>> I did
>> grep -R pkgname /var/abs/community
>> for all of them and nothing depends on them.
>>
>> I also think these should be removed.

sfarkxtc is used for soundfonts [1]

A project may not be active, but the use of the tool may still be
valid. Sometimes, good/simple programs don't need updates.

[1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Timidity#Soundfonts

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

Stefan Husmann 07-17-2010 08:16 PM

Am 17.07.2010 20:52, schrieb Ray Rashif:
> On 17/07/2010, Thorsten Töpper <atsutane@freethoughts.de> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 10:14:57 -0500
>> Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I did
>>> grep -R pkgname /var/abs/community
>>> for all of them and nothing depends on them.
>>>
>>> I also think these should be removed.
>
> sfarkxtc is used for soundfonts [1]
>
> A project may not be active, but the use of the tool may still be
> valid. Sometimes, good/simple programs don't need updates.
>
> [1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Timidity#Soundfonts
>

> --
> GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

1+

Maintained packages should only be removed by the maintainer, if at all.

Regards Stefan