Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
"Michael Düll (akurei)"

Default Why is there no option to delete your own package in AUR yourself?

Am Mittwoch 14 Juli 2010, 23:10:07 schrieb Ionuț Bîru:
> On 07/14/2010 11:54 PM, Michael Düll (akurei) wrote:
> > Hello fellow Archers!
> >
> > I wonder why there's no option to delete your own package from AUR.
> >
> > Some users pointed out, that there once was too much abusive behaviour. I
> > can't think of a way how this could be abused, if you are only allowed to
> > delete your _own_ uploaded packages, except one: If there's many users
> > (and OTHER packages from AUR that rely on that perticular package [eg
> > bin32-wine relies on lib32-libldap from AUR]), and you delete it, thus
> > breaking dependencies.
> > My proposal is: Allow people to delete their own AUR packages if a) No
> > other AUR package depends on it and b) if there's less than 10 people
> > "using" it (aurvote). This way it would be easy to delete a faulty
> > package without first asking on the list and it would hopefully
> > encourage more people to try and put PKGBUILDS on AUR.
> >
> > akurei
>
> we had in the past a problem with an user who deleted a lot of packages.
> he did that by adopting orphaned packages

Okay, so let's introduce a "barrier": Let one delete packages like I said (he
owns them, no other package relies on it, no more than 10 aurvotes) _plus_ let
one delete packages, that he owns for _more than three months_. This way
there's less chance that someboy "goes amok".
Additionally there could be an "Trusted-User-Only Undelete" feature for a few
weeks.

akurei

Old 07-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Michael Düll (akurei) <mail@akurei.org> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 14 Juli 2010, 23:10:07 schrieb Ionuț Bîru:
>> On 07/14/2010 11:54 PM, Michael Düll (akurei) wrote:
>> > Hello fellow Archers!
>> >
>> > I wonder why there's no option to delete your own package from AUR.
>> >
>> > Some users pointed out, that there once was too much abusive behaviour. I
>> > can't think of a way how this could be abused, if you are only allowed to
>> > delete your _own_ uploaded packages, except one: If there's many users
>> > (and OTHER packages from AUR that rely on that perticular package [eg
>> > bin32-wine relies on lib32-libldap from AUR]), and you delete it, thus
>> > breaking dependencies.
>> > My proposal is: Allow people to delete their own AUR packages if a) No
>> > other AUR package depends on it and b) if there's less than 10 people
>> > "using" it (aurvote). This way it would be easy to delete a faulty
>> > package without first asking on the list and it would hopefully
>> > encourage more people to try and put PKGBUILDS on AUR.
>> >
>> > akurei
>>
>> we had in the past a problem with an user who deleted a lot of packages.
>> he did that by adopting orphaned packages
>
> Okay, so let's introduce a "barrier": Let one delete packages like I said (he
> owns them, no other package relies on it, no more than 10 aurvotes) _plus_ let
> one delete packages, that he owns for _more than three months_. This way
> there's less chance that someboy "goes amok".
> Additionally there could be an "Trusted-User-Only Undelete" feature for a few
> weeks.
>
> akurei

I guess you could open this as a feature request if you really want
to, the problem I see is that you have to make sure the system can't
be abused. Also, someone has to code it up, and I haven't really seen
much interest in the aur website at all. Its just what I think atm.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Michael Düll (akurei) <mail@akurei.org> wrote:

>>> we had in the past a problem with an user who deleted a lot of packages.
>>> he did that by adopting orphaned packages
>>
>> Okay, so let's introduce a "barrier": Let one delete packages like I said (he
>> owns them, no other package relies on it, no more than 10 aurvotes) _plus_ let
>> one delete packages, that he owns for _more than three months_. This way
>> there's less chance that someboy "goes amok".
>> Additionally there could be an "Trusted-User-Only Undelete" feature for a few
>> weeks.
>>
>> akurei
>>
> I guess you could open this as a feature request if you really want
> to, the problem I see is that you have to make sure the system can't
> be abused. Also, someone has to code it up, and I haven't really seen
> much interest in the aur website at all. Its just what I think atm.

Also, this seems like more work then just asking for a tu to check out
a package and delete it.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 PM
"Michael Düll (akurei)"

Am Donnerstag 15 Juli 2010, 00:41:13 schrieb Thomas Dziedzic:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Michael Düll (akurei) <mail@akurei.org>
wrote:

> >> Okay, so let's introduce a "barrier": Let one delete packages like I
> >> said (he owns them, no other package relies on it, no more than 10
> >> aurvotes) _plus_ let one delete packages, that he owns for _more than
> >> three months_. This way there's less chance that someboy "goes amok".
> >> Additionally there could be an "Trusted-User-Only Undelete" feature for
> >> a few weeks.
> >>
> >> akurei
> >
> > I guess you could open this as a feature request if you really want
> > to, the problem I see is that you have to make sure the system can't
> > be abused. Also, someone has to code it up, and I haven't really seen
> > much interest in the aur website at all. Its just what I think atm.
>
> Also, this seems like more work then just asking for a tu to check out
> a package and delete it.

I could take over this task. Somehow (if there's PHP and SQL). I am merely
asking if it would be accepted by the Archers

akurei

Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 15/07/10 08:49, Michael Düll (akurei) wrote:
>>
>> Am Donnerstag 15 Juli 2010, 00:41:13 schrieb Thomas Dziedzic:

>>> Also, this seems like more work then just asking for a tu to check out
>>> a package and delete it.
>>
>> I could take over this task. Somehow (if there's PHP and SQL). I am merely
>> asking if it would be accepted by the Archers
>
> I think it would be better to just have a "delete request" button which
> would require a note why the package needs deleted so that the TUs could
> have a list they can easily access and work through.
>
> Allan

+1 for this idea

Old 07-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Michael Düll (akurei) <mail@akurei.org> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 15 Juli 2010, 00:41:13 schrieb Thomas Dziedzic:
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I guess you could open this as a feature request if you really want
>> > to, the problem I see is that you have to make sure the system can't
>> > be abused. Also, someone has to code it up, and I haven't really seen
>> > much interest in the aur website at all. Its just what I think atm.
>>
>> Also, this seems like more work then just asking for a tu to check out
>> a package and delete it.
>
> I could take over this task. Somehow (if there's PHP and SQL). I am merely
> asking if it would be accepted by the Archers
>
> akurei

I just think that maintaining the aur should be left up to the TUs is
all. And Allan's just proposed idea seems a lot more appealing to me

Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 18:58, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> I think it would be better to just have a "delete request" button which
> would require a note why the package needs deleted so that the TUs could
> have a list they can easily access and work through.
>
> Allan
+1

Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 PM
"Michael Düll (akurei)"

Am Donnerstag 15 Juli 2010, 00:54:56 schrieb Thomas Dziedzic:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> >> I could take over this task. Somehow (if there's PHP and SQL). I am
> >> merely asking if it would be accepted by the Archers
> >
> > I think it would be better to just have a "delete request" button which
> > would require a note why the package needs deleted so that the TUs could
> > have a list they can easily access and work through.
> >
> > Allan
>
> +1 for this idea

I like this idea, too.