Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Ionuț Bîru

Default Why is there no option to delete your own package in AUR yourself?

On 07/14/2010 11:54 PM, Michael Düll (akurei) wrote:

Hello fellow Archers!

I wonder why there's no option to delete your own package from AUR.

Some users pointed out, that there once was too much abusive behaviour. I
can't think of a way how this could be abused, if you are only allowed to
delete your _own_ uploaded packages, except one: If there's many users (and
OTHER packages from AUR that rely on that perticular package [eg bin32-wine
relies on lib32-libldap from AUR]), and you delete it, thus breaking
dependencies.
My proposal is: Allow people to delete their own AUR packages if a) No other
AUR package depends on it and b) if there's less than 10 people "using" it
(aurvote). This way it would be easy to delete a faulty package without first
asking on the list and it would hopefully encourage more people to try and put
PKGBUILDS on AUR.

akurei

we had in the past a problem with an user who deleted a lot of packages.
he did that by adopting orphaned packages

--
Ionuț

Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Allan McRae

[...]

Okay, so let's introduce a "barrier": Let one delete packages like I
said (he owns them, no other package relies on it, no more than 10
aurvotes) _plus_ let one delete packages, that he owns for _more than
three months_. This way there's less chance that someboy "goes amok".
Additionally there could be an "Trusted-User-Only Undelete" feature for
a few weeks.

akurei

I guess you could open this as a feature request if you really want
to, the problem I see is that you have to make sure the system can't
be abused. Also, someone has to code it up, and I haven't really seen
much interest in the aur website at all. Its just what I think atm.

Also, this seems like more work then just asking for a tu to check out
a package and delete it.

I could take over this task. Somehow (if there's PHP and SQL). I am merely
asking if it would be accepted by the Archers

I think it would be better to just have a "delete request" button which
would require a note why the package needs deleted so that the TUs could
have a list they can easily access and work through.

Allan

Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Peter Hultqvist

Allan McRae wrote:
> I think it would be better to just have a "delete request" button which
> would require a note why the package needs deleted so that the TUs could
> have a list they can easily access and work through.

Good idea, especially since the management of AUR will be more connected
with the website. It confused me that the management was outside on this
list, and it still presents a mental barrier on how to work with the AUR.

Could something similar also be done with adopt requests?

I both situations I assume that the package owner will be contacted as
well with time given to response before a TU takes a look at it.