Old 07-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Allan McRae

Default Python-3.x transition with python-2.7 update

Hi all,

Here comes a rebuild so large that our TODO list had trouble handling
it! Hopefully all packages are now in the rebuild list.... At a total
of 518 packages long, it puts the combined libpng/libjpeg rebuild to shame.

Python-2.7 has been releases and will be the last 2.x official release
of python. So it is time to switch to python-3.x as our /usr/bin/python
and python-2.7 as our /usr/bin/python2. See
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Python_Todo_List for
all the details about how to achieve this.

It is actually not that hard. I had a system converted when python-3.1
was released as a test run. The main key is to build packages in a
clean chroot so that they detect and point their files to
/usr/bin/python2. Some packages are stupid and require a sed at the end
of packaging to fix that.

Because this rebuild is crazy stupid, I would like to plan when it is
going to occur. We will need to clear out [testing] as much as possible
over the coming week or two (what is happening with perl...). Also, a
new KDE is a the beginning of next month so I would not want to conflict
with that. Any other major rebuilds on the way? Should we do this in a
separate repo?

Allan