Old 06-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Peter Lewis

Default "tower-girls"

On Saturday 26 Jun 2010 at 01:42 Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 17:47 -0400, Andrew Antle wrote:
> > > I've always been quite proud that the free / open source software
> > > world has
> > > projects like these:
> > >
> > > http://women.debian.org/home/
> > > http://community.kde.org/KDE_Women
> > > http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen
> > >
> > > I know the comments were just supposed to be a bit of fun, but
> > > perhaps they
> > > highlight that something like wouldn't be a bad idea in Arch too.
> > >
> > Patches welcome , preferably from women actually involved in Arch,
> > not pseudo-politically-correct males trying to make themselves feel
> > better.

Absolutely, it would be rather odd and pointless if an Arch-women project were
to be started by men. In the absence of any women (really are there none?), of
course no patches will be forthcoming.

But please don't assume you know my motivation for mentioning these projects.
I'm not "trying to make myself feel better", I'm just pointing out that it's
rather a shame in my view that Arch doesn't have a (more active) female
component to the community, and was wondering why that was. As evidenced by
the links, it's not that "women don't like linux".

> +1000. I haven't actually seen any females on the forum/IRC/mailing list
> (though to be fair names from some cultures are androgynous to my eyes).
> Recently on this list someone posted up linuxTag photos, there were more
> signs of Microsoft than women in those pics.
>
> I think this conversation has exhausted its lifetime though to be fair.
> Back to the TU application!

And you may think that this conversation is irrelevant or off topic or
whatever, but in my view any healthy community engages in a bit of self-
reflection from time to time. Most importantly in this is identifying barriers
or perceived barriers to participation.

Pete.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Andrew Antle

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Peter Lewis <pete@muddygoat.org> wrote:
> But please don't assume you know my motivation for mentioning these projects.
> I'm not "trying to make myself feel better",

I'm sorry; was I "stereotyping" you? Sucks, doesn't it?
--
Andrew

Old 06-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Renato Garcia

2010/6/26 Andrew Antle <andrew.antle@gmail.com>

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Peter Lewis <pete@muddygoat.org> wrote:
> > But please don't assume you know my motivation for mentioning these
> projects.
> > I'm not "trying to make myself feel better",
>
> I'm sorry; was I "stereotyping" you? Sucks, doesn't it?
> --
> Andrew

In Debian Women FAQ there are two links to pages wrote by womens, speaking
about womens in computer science.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/
http://people.mills.edu/spertus/Gender/pap/pap.html

I think that may be relevant to this discussion, mainly the sexist jokes
sections:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/x168.html#AEN171
http://people.mills.edu/spertus/Gender/pap/node10.html#SECTION00410000000000000000

Regards,