Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Peter Lewis

Default "tower-girls", was TU application for Sven-Hendrik Haase

On Friday 25 Jun 2010 at 22:06 Xyne wrote:
> > I suspect of all the places a girl could stumble upon in the net, this
> > one is the least likely to be it.
>
> Well, when they do, they'll be able to confirm the stereotype of male
> computer geeks and their attitudes towards them.

Indeed.

I've always been quite proud that the free / open source software world has
projects like these:

http://women.debian.org/home/
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Women
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen

I know the comments were just supposed to be a bit of fun, but perhaps they
highlight that something like wouldn't be a bad idea in Arch too.

Pete.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Andrew Antle

I suspect of all the places a girl could stumble upon in the net,
this

one is the least likely to be it.

Well, when they do, they'll be able to confirm the stereotype of male
computer geeks and their attitudes towards them.

What stereotype? I'm a computer geek, and I'm fine with women, in
general and in computing. Stereotyping is bullshit generalization that
doesn't actually apply to anyone in particular.

Indeed.

I've always been quite proud that the free / open source software
world has

projects like these:

http://women.debian.org/home/
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Women
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen

I know the comments were just supposed to be a bit of fun, but
perhaps they

highlight that something like wouldn't be a bad idea in Arch too.

Pete.

Patches welcome , preferably from women actually involved in Arch,
not pseudo-politically-correct males trying to make themselves feel
better.

--
Andrew