Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Daenyth Blank

Default TU application for Sven-Hendrik Haase

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:05, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I'd like to apply for TU. I tricked Daenyth into sponsoring me.
Yup. I'll sponsor him. He's a good guy and has been a great
contributor to the arch-games project.

> Is it true that the secret TU tower is where all the girls are kept?
Don't talk about that on the public list!!!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Uli Armbruster

* Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> [24.06.2010 17:05]:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I'd like to apply for TU. I tricked Daenyth into sponsoring me.
> Rocking since 1990 in Germany, I've been using Arch Linux for around two
> years now and since I
> seem to stick with it I thought I might as well become TU. I have past
> experience in Suse, Debian, Ubuntu,
> Fedora and DSL as well as a few minor ones (mostly spin-offs). I
> currently have about 10 Arch installations
> in all kinds of forms, virtual, chroot, desktop, laptop, incandescent gas.
>
> Whenever I'm not busy trying to create another cdrkit vs. cdrtools flame
> fest on the mailing list
> I'm generally trying to be helpful on the wiki, forums, IRC and AUR. I
> like being pedantic about things
> like replaces() vs. conflicts() + provides() or $startdir/src vs. $srcdir.
>
> In AUR I currently maintain 66 packages. My most important packages are
> multimedia/game development
> related though I tend to package whatever I think it useful or fun.
> While I'm aware that many Archers
> consider games wasteful in terms of time investment and disk space, I
> think the number of votes on my
> packages still make some of them same valid candidates for [community].
> See my awe-inspiring list of packages:
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=Svenstaro
>
> I'm rather interested in Python and since PyPy might become more
> important in the future I will continue
> to take good care of that package.
>
> I'm somewhat involved or at least interested in the upstream development
> for some of my packages (SFML,
> Ogre3D, SFML, Gobby, Bullet, Box2D, -gallium). I like trying out new
> fancy things. I've used all major DEs
> and a bunch of WMs. I maintain my own live distribution closely based on
> Arch Linux and archiso (live.linux-gamers.net)
> and in the process of creating it wrote the archiso article for the wiki.
>
> I care about guidelines and consistency, though I am aware that my AUR
> packages aren't all fully consistent. Working on that.
> On LinuxTag 2010, I openly promoted my religion using my Arch shirt
> together with a fellow Archer. We tried our best
> to sound like the condescending Arch jerks that we are. Just kidding. We
> showed-off Arch to quite a few people who
> were interested, though. We met quite a few unrelated Archers on the
> fair as well but they didn't seem to have as much
> Arch-esteem as we did.
>
> Is it true that the secret TU tower is where all the girls are kept?
>
> -- Sven-Hendrik

To be honest, I really have been waiting for this day. You are so amazingly active here in the mailing list and you always seem to be very competent. I wish you the very best!

Schlaaaaaaaand

Greetz
Army

Old 06-24-2010, 05:22 PM
"Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)"

On 06/24/10 at 11:10am, Daenyth Blank wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:05, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> > Hey everybody,
> >
> > I'd like to apply for TU. I tricked Daenyth into sponsoring me.
> Yup. I'll sponsor him. He's a good guy and has been a great
> contributor to the arch-games project.
>
> > Is it true that the secret TU tower is where all the girls are kept?
> Don't talk about that on the public list!!!
Why not? Everyone knows that the best girls are kept in the super-top-secret
Dev tower! Oops... shouldn't say that on the public list either, huh?

Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)
<ghost1227@archlinux.us> wrote:
> Why not? Everyone knows that the best girls are kept in the super-top-secret
> Dev tower!

Well, that explains a lot... I knew that there must be some very good
reasons to become a developer.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?

Denis A. Altoe Falqueto

Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Angel Velásquez

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:

> Whenever I'm not busy trying to create another cdrkit vs. cdrtools flame
> fest on the mailing list
> I'm generally trying to be helpful on the wiki, forums, IRC and AUR. I
> like being pedantic about things
> like replaces() vs. conflicts() + provides() or $startdir/src vs. $srcdir.
>
> In AUR I currently maintain 66 packages. My most important packages are
> multimedia/game development
> related though I tend to package whatever I think it useful or fun.
> While I'm aware that many Archers
> consider games wasteful in terms of time investment and disk space, I
> think the number of votes on my
> packages still make some of them same valid candidates for [community].
> See my awe-inspiring list of packages:
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=Svenstaro
>
> I'm rather interested in Python and since PyPy might become more
> important in the future I will continue
> to take good care of that package.

Hi, Sven I remember you from some debates that you participated /
created ;P. Nice one to see another Pythonist on the group.

> I'm somewhat involved or at least interested in the upstream development
> for some of my packages (SFML,
> Ogre3D, SFML, Gobby, Bullet, Box2D, -gallium). I like trying out new
> fancy things. I've used all major DEs
> and a bunch of WMs. I maintain my own live distribution closely based on
> Arch Linux and archiso (live.linux-gamers.net)
> and in the process of creating it wrote the archiso article for the wiki.

You can maintain gobby-unstable and libinfinity if you got aproved,
remember don't replace for now the stable release of gobby .

> I care about guidelines and consistency, though I am aware that my AUR
> packages aren't all fully consistent. Working on that.
> On LinuxTag 2010, I openly promoted my religion using my Arch shirt
> together with a fellow Archer. We tried our best
> to sound like the condescending Arch jerks that we are. Just kidding. We
> showed-off Arch to quite a few people who
> were interested, though. We met quite a few unrelated Archers on the
> fair as well but they didn't seem to have as much
> Arch-esteem as we did.

Arch shirt? pictures?

> Is it true that the secret TU tower is where all the girls are kept?

All the good ones, yes,

Good luck with your application!

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 06-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 24.06.2010 20:23, Angel Velásquez wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:
>
>> I care about guidelines and consistency, though I am aware that my AUR
>> packages aren't all fully consistent. Working on that.
>> On LinuxTag 2010, I openly promoted my religion using my Arch shirt
>> together with a fellow Archer. We tried our best
>> to sound like the condescending Arch jerks that we are. Just kidding. We
>> showed-off Arch to quite a few people who
>> were interested, though. We met quite a few unrelated Archers on the
>> fair as well but they didn't seem to have as much
>> Arch-esteem as we did.
> Arch shirt? pictures?

LinuxTag pictures by yours truly:
http://svenstaro.imgur.com/linuxtag_2010/all
Observe as the Microsoft booth slowly changes during the course of the fair.

We proudly wore this:
http://www.linux-onlineshop.de/media/images/popup/4666_0.png
We were severely outnumbered by Debian shirt people, however. As a
consequence,
we tried as hard as we could to make as many loud Debian-is-99%-obsolete
jokes as
possible. In the process, we made/found a few strong allies but we made
even more
enemies that, as they used Debian, obviously were orders of magnitude
weaker.

It all worked according to plan.

Fun story: I gave some Debian guy some ISO file on an ext4 formatted USB
key and he was not able to read it because his kernel did not yet
support it. He didn't like my suggestion to install Arch. Strange people.

>> Is it true that the secret TU tower is where all the girls are kept?
> All the good ones, yes,
Nice, I would not have expected anything less.

> Good luck with your application!

Thank you, but I will not need any luck to achieve this. Do you think
I'd apply with even the slightest possibility of failure? I have made my
arrangements. See you in the TU tower in a bit. Let's use the other
thread for party theme suggestions and girl allocation.

-- Sven-Hendrik

Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Ray Rashif

On 25/06/2010, Angel Velásquez <angvp@archlinux.com.ve> wrote:
>> Is it true that the secret TU tower is where all the girls are kept?
>
> All the good ones, yes,

Remember what Dan Bowel teaches us in his latest novel - there are
hierarchies within hierarchies, secrets within secrets..and girls
within boys.

But anyhow, though I don't recall crossing paths with him, I'm giving
this initiate a big +1 for Ogre et al.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

Old 06-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Hubert Grzeskowiak

On 24.06.2010 17:05, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> Hey everybody,
Hi

> Whenever I'm not busy trying to create another cdrkit vs. cdrtools flame
> fest on the mailing list
cdrtools is/was free, you DFSG-fetishists! *scnr*

> In AUR I currently maintain 66 packages. My most important packages are
> multimedia/game development (...)
> I'm somewhat involved or at least interested in the upstream development
> for some of my packages (SFML,
> Ogre3D, SFML, Gobby, Bullet, Box2D, -gallium)
Would be nice to see all the game libs in [community]. I'm using a few of them.

> I'm rather interested in Python
++1

> I care about guidelines and consistency
++1

> Is it true that the secret TU tower is where all the girls are kept?
Except for those in my cellar, yes.

Good luck and have a nice day

Hubert Grzeskowiak (Nemesis#13)

Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Jaroslav Lichtblau

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 05:05:36PM +0200, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> Hey everybody,

<snip>

> In AUR I currently maintain 66 packages. My most important packages are
> multimedia/game development
> related though I tend to package whatever I think it useful or fun.
> While I'm aware that many Archers
> consider games wasteful in terms of time investment and disk space, I
> think the number of votes on my
> packages still make some of them same valid candidates for [community].
> See my awe-inspiring list of packages:
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=Svenstaro

<snip>

> I care about guidelines and consistency, though I am aware that my AUR
> packages aren't all fully consistent. Working on that.

<snip>
> -- Sven-Hendrik

Hi Sven-Hendrik,
I did have a closer look on your AUR PKGBUILDs and this is what came out:

PKGBUILD (csfml) W: Missing Maintainer tag
PKGBUILD (irrklang) W: Description should not contain the package name.
PKGBUILD (knyttstories-contrib) W: Missing Maintainer tag
PKGBUILD (ogre-branch-1.4) E: Use $srcdir instead of $startdir/src
PKGBUILD (ogre-branch-1.4) E: Use $pkgdir instead of $startdir/pkg
PKGBUILD (ogre-branch-1.4) W: Missing Maintainer tag

Mainly minor things, just the ogre-branch-1.4 needs bigger corrections.
This package was probably just adopted by you and not touched yet, according
to the contributor lines in the PKGBUILD. It should not be difficult to get it fixed.
I also see in few of your package a little longer decription than usual, but
I don't see this as a big issue neither. Otherwise I like the overall quality
of your packages.
10 installation of Arch? You look like an addict to me
Good luck with your application and I hope you find a girlfriend soon! That's what
was your last remark in the application about, correct?

Cheers,
Jaroslav

--
Men seldom show dimples to girls who have pimples.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 27.06.2010 09:56, Jaroslav Lichtblau wrote:
> Hi Sven-Hendrik,
> I did have a closer look on your AUR PKGBUILDs and this is what came out:
>
> PKGBUILD (csfml) W: Missing Maintainer tag
> PKGBUILD (irrklang) W: Description should not contain the package name.
> PKGBUILD (knyttstories-contrib) W: Missing Maintainer tag
> PKGBUILD (ogre-branch-1.4) E: Use $srcdir instead of $startdir/src
> PKGBUILD (ogre-branch-1.4) E: Use $pkgdir instead of $startdir/pkg
> PKGBUILD (ogre-branch-1.4) W: Missing Maintainer tag
>
> Mainly minor things, just the ogre-branch-1.4 needs bigger corrections.
> This package was probably just adopted by you and not touched yet, according
> to the contributor lines in the PKGBUILD. It should not be difficult to get it fixed.
> I also see in few of your package a little longer decription than usual, but
> I don't see this as a big issue neither. Otherwise I like the overall quality
> of your packages.
> 10 installation of Arch? You look like an addict to me
I just fixed all of those. Yeah, I did indeed not touch ogre-branch-1.4
after adopting it. The old maintainer shot me a mail that he wants me to
take over and that the package is not currently broken so I did and
didn't touch it yet.

Thanks for the heads-up.
> Good luck with your application and I hope you find a girlfriend soon! That's what
> was your last remark in the application about, correct?
Alas! Seen right through me. It's harder than one would think, though.
Let's not go there.

-- Sven-Hendrik