Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Laurent Carlier

Default First step to become a TU

Hi, my name is Laurent Carlier (lordheavy).

I would like to become a TU, so decided to go through the first step : find a
sponsor;

I'm a linux user since '98, archer for about 2 years now (i've got some
mandrake/debian/LFS/openbsd/...) and i'm adept of free software and KISS
philosophy.

Got knowledges about c/c++/bash/autotools/cmake/git/svn/..., and currently an
active developper of the gambas project. I maintain some packages in aur see
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=lordheavy .

I've proposed a PKGBUILD for a splitted gambas2 package see
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19318

Feel free for questions :-)

Regards,
LordHeavy

Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Ionuț Bîru

Hi, my name is Laurent Carlier (lordheavy).

I would like to become a TU, so decided to go through the first step : find a
sponsor;

i'm happy to sponsor you

I'm a linux user since '98, archer for about 2 years now (i've got some
mandrake/debian/LFS/openbsd/...) and i'm adept of free software and KISS
philosophy.

Got knowledges about c/c++/bash/autotools/cmake/git/svn/..., and currently an
active developper of the gambas project. I maintain some packages in aur see
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=lordheavy .

I've proposed a PKGBUILD for a splitted gambas2 package see
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19318

i was impressed about this one but i was reticent on adopting it since i
don't know anything about gambas2 and most important thing i don't use it.

Feel free for questions :-)

do you intend to maintain any other packages that you use?

Regards,
LordHeavy

--
Ionuț

Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Laurent Carlier

Le mercredi 23 juin 2010 21:34:22, Ionuț Bîru a écrit :
> On 06/23/2010 11:14 AM, Laurent Carlier wrote:
> > Hi, my name is Laurent Carlier (lordheavy).
> >
> > I would like to become a TU, so decided to go through the first step :
> > find a sponsor;
>
> i'm happy to sponsor you

Thank you !

> > I'm a linux user since '98, archer for about 2 years now (i've got some
> > mandrake/debian/LFS/openbsd/...) and i'm adept of free software and KISS
> > philosophy.
> >
> > Got knowledges about c/c++/bash/autotools/cmake/git/svn/..., and
> > currently an active developper of the gambas project. I maintain some
> > packages in aur see
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=lordheavy .
> >
> > I've proposed a PKGBUILD for a splitted gambas2 package see
> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19318
>
> i was impressed about this one but i was reticent on adopting it since i
> don't know anything about gambas2 and most important thing i don't use it.
>
> > Feel free for questions :-)
>
> do you intend to maintain any other packages that you use?

Sure i will be happy to maintain other packages, i don't want to maintain only
one package :-) , but not only packages i use of course.

I don't think a good packager is only an intensive user of the packages he
maintain, but got a good relationship between the package users and the
maintainers of the software, so be able to produce a good feedback/bugreports
for the software maintainers, and package users.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Ionuț Bîru

[...]

lets start the discussion period

--
Ionuț

Old 06-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Stefan Husmann

[...]

Hello,

I think, if we want to keep gambas2 in Community we will have to vote for
LordHeavy, because noone else will understand the PKGBUILD :.)

I think regarding this PKGBUILD shows his skills well enough. Many of
your other packages semm to be not so easy, too. So I think he could really help us.

Regards Stefan

Old 06-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Thorsten Töpper

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:12:12 +0200
Stefan Husmann <stefan-husmann@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 24.06.2010 19:24, schrieb Ionuț Bîru:
> > lets start the discussion period
> >

> Hello,
>
> I think, if we want to keep gambas2 in Community we will have to vote
> for LordHeavy, because noone else will understand the PKGBUILD :.)
>
> I think regarding this PKGBUILD shows his skills well enough. Many of
> your other packages semm to be not so easy, too. So I think he could
> really help us.
>
> Regards Stefan

Hi,
I haven't come to read the gambas PKGBUILD yet, however I took a look
at several of the PKGBUILDs in AUR this morning and agree with the
others, that you'll make a good addition to our team.

Thorsten
--
Jabber: atsutane@freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
Key: 295AFBF4 FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4

Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Xavier Chantry

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Laurent Carlier <lordheavym@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think a good packager is only an intensive user of the packages he
> maintain, but got a good relationship between the package users and the
> maintainers of the software, so be able to produce a good feedback/bugreports
> for the software maintainers, and package users.

What about improving gambas2 build system to better support split
packages then ?
I am referring to all the "## workaround for splitting" which seem to
make that pkgbuild more complex and not so simple & stupid
And please don't take this wrongly, I am simply curious to know
whether there is room for improvements.

I also think you would be a good addition to the team, having
development skills is a big +.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Laurent Carlier

Le jeudi 24 juin 2010 22:03:29, Xavier Chantry a crit :
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Laurent Carlier <lordheavym@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I don't think a good packager is only an intensive user of the packages
> > he maintain, but got a good relationship between the package users and
> > the maintainers of the software, so be able to produce a good
> > feedback/bugreports for the software maintainers, and package users.
>
> What about improving gambas2 build system to better support split
> packages then ?
> I am referring to all the "## workaround for splitting" which seem to
> make that pkgbuild more complex and not so simple & stupid
> And please don't take this wrongly, I am simply curious to know
> whether there is room for improvements.

Gambas2 built system is really complex, providing custom macros to detect
dependencies, custom installing system (a gambas2 component can be done in
c/c++, gambas or mixed!).

The real problem is not the installation system, but the fact that a lot of
parts of gambas need cross dependencies, and it's not really easy to package
it with pacman, because all parts (splitted packages) are installed in a
sandbox. The workaround i've done is only for this purpose, i install the
needed dependencies to properly built the splitted package (part of another
splitted package usually). The fact i've got a pretty good knowledge of the
built system is a benefit.

As far as i know, other linux distros doesn't have such problems (i haven't
looked too at other distros packages)

> I also think you would be a good addition to the team, having
> development skills is a big +.

Thanks :-p

Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 AM
Ray Rashif

On 25/06/2010, Laurent Carlier <lordheavym@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le jeudi 24 juin 2010 22:03:29, Xavier Chantry a crit :
>> I also think you would be a good addition to the team, having
>> development skills is a big +.
>
> Thanks :-p

I think it's time we started the discussion period proper

Or can we already count this as one since some have already stated
their opinions?

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

Old 07-01-2010, 07:54 PM