Old 06-10-2010, 07:29 AM
A Rojas

Default sage-mathematics

I took a longer look at their build/install system, and it doesn't
look like it is very flexible in using external packages.
It fully provides http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/ by default.
These packages are optional http://www.sagemath.org/packages/optional/
which you would have to install after installing sage-mathematics
afaik.
Also, another optional package is in http://www.sagemath.org/sagedb/
which is basically a database that's worth a 2.6GB download :/
I have contacted upstream in case there is a relatively sane way of
using external packages that come with the distro. I will post back if
upstream says it's possible, but it looks like it won't be possible.

Mandriva has had a sage package built with external apps for a while which
works quite well [1], it could be interesting to see if their spec file can
be translated to a PKGBUILD. Also gentoo has a split ebuild here [2]. See
also [3] for the Fedora plans for a package, although it seems stalled at
the moment.

[1] http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-
bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/sagemath/current/SPECS/sagemath.spec?view=co
[2] http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/SciTech/SAGE

Old 06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 03:29, A Rojas <nqn1976list@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mandriva has had a sage package built with external apps for a while which
> works quite well [1], it could be interesting to see if their spec file can
> be translated to a PKGBUILD.

There's a spec2arch tool in pkgtools for that sort of thing. It's not
perfect but it'll give you a good jumping off point.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:29 AM, A Rojas <nqn1976list@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I took a longer look at their build/install system, and it doesn't
>> look like it is very flexible in using external packages.
>> It fully provides http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/ by default.
>> These packages are optional http://www.sagemath.org/packages/optional/
>> which you would have to install after installing sage-mathematics
>> afaik.
>> Also, another optional package is in http://www.sagemath.org/sagedb/
>> which is basically a database that's worth a 2.6GB download :/
>> I have contacted upstream in case there is a relatively sane way of
>> using external packages that come with the distro. I will post back if
>> upstream says it's possible, but it looks like it won't be possible.
>>

> Mandriva has had a sage package built with external apps for a while which
> works quite well [1], it could be interesting to see if their spec file can
> be translated to a PKGBUILD. Also gentoo has a split ebuild here [2]. See
> also [3] for the Fedora plans for a package, although it seems stalled at
> the moment.
>
> [1] http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-
> bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/sagemath/current/SPECS/sagemath.spec?view=co
> [2] http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
> [3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/SciTech/SAGE

Interesting, looking at the spec file, it looks like a major pita.
I'll look over it more thoroughly and see exactly what it does to see
if I could possibly create a PKGBUILD