Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

Default sage-mathematics (was: TU application for Thomas Dziedzic)

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Peter Lewis <pete@muddygoat.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 Jun 2010 at 23:31 Xyne wrote:
>> Incidentally, I remember that when I compiled it the package duplicated
>> several other packages, e.g. maxima, because it includes other
>> applications internally. Is there any way (yet) to make it use other
>> packages instead? If not, does it fully provide any other packages?
>
> Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to describe in my previous post - thanks
> for stating it clearer than me. And I think your suggestions are what is needed.

I took a longer look at their build/install system, and it doesn't
look like it is very flexible in using external packages.
It fully provides http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/ by default.
These packages are optional http://www.sagemath.org/packages/optional/
which you would have to install after installing sage-mathematics
afaik.
Also, another optional package is in http://www.sagemath.org/sagedb/
which is basically a database that's worth a 2.6GB download :/
I have contacted upstream in case there is a relatively sane way of
using external packages that come with the distro. I will post back if
upstream says it's possible, but it looks like it won't be possible.

>> * The idea of an "arch-science" team comes to mind, similar to the
>> * "arch-haskell" team, which has done great work in making Arch useful
>> * for Haskell users, but I don't actually have any concrete ideas of
>> * what that would entail.
>
> I'd be interested in helping out with this :-)
>
> Pete.

I would also be interested.

Thomas Dziedzic