Old 06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

Default TU application for Thomas Dziedzic

Hello,

My name is Thomas Dziedzic. I recently applied to the Junior Developer
program, but I was not accepted because of the quantity of people that
applied. Allan McRae suggested that I should apply to be a TU so here
I am. I have contacted Ionuț Bîru (wonder) and he has agreed to
sponsor me. This will mainly be a reiteration of my JD program
application. Now, onto some background about me.

I got started with open source software several years ago mainly out
of curiosity by installing a linux distro (mandrake). Some OSs that I
have used before archlinux include: mandrake (now mandriva), debian,
opensuse, fedora core (now fedora), slackware, freebsd, ubuntu, and
many others. Now my distro hopping days are mostly over thanks to
archlinux and virtualbox.

I have been using archlinux on my desktop for at least 2 years now. I
go by the following nicks, td123 on irc/aur, and tomd123 on
bbs/bugs/wiki.

I currently maintain 78 packages in the aur. [1] I keep them mostly up
to date and bug free. I know some of the packages aren't perfect but
most (if not all) work. Most importantly, I don't ignore user
requests/problem reports. I also go through some bug reports and help
out where ever I can.

I am fairly comfortable with writing packages for archlinux. I am also
comfortable fixing bugs in the packages. I currently don't actively
track upstream development of any packages, mainly because I
don't have a need to. Occasionally, if I'm curious about certain
features or just want to check out the changes/progress, I will check
the repo logs or the changelog. I am mainly interested in maintaining
scientific/mathematical apps along with apps that follow the unix
philosophy.

Initially, I would be interested in knowing if I could move
sage-mathematics from the AUR to community. Also, I would be
interested in adopting grass from community.

I am hoping that I will get accepted so I can help improve archlinux even more!

-Thomas Dziedzic

[1] - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=td123

Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Ionut Biru

My name is Thomas Dziedzic. I recently applied to the Junior Developer
program, but I was not accepted because of the quantity of people that
applied. Allan McRae suggested that I should apply to be a TU so here
I am. I have contacted Ionuț Bîru (wonder) and he has agreed to
sponsor me. This will mainly be a reiteration of my JD program
application. Now, onto some background about me.

and here is my official sponsorship message. I know him from irc, he's
helping in our channel and also in -bugs and aur. He helped in the last
bug days and is active on the bugtracker.

So, let the discussion period officially begin.

--
Ionut

Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:42, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> and here is my official sponsorship message. I know him from irc, he's
> helping in our channel and also in -bugs and aur. He helped in the last bug
> days and is active on the bugtracker.
>
> So, let the discussion period officially begin.
>
> --
> Ionut

I've seen him on IRC also, and he's always helpful.
+1

Old 06-09-2010, 06:04 PM
"Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)"

On 06/09/10 at 11:29am, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Thomas Dziedzic. I recently applied to the Junior Developer
> program, but I was not accepted because of the quantity of people that
> applied. Allan McRae suggested that I should apply to be a TU so here
> I am. I have contacted Ionuț Bîru (wonder) and he has agreed to
> sponsor me. This will mainly be a reiteration of my JD program
> application. Now, onto some background about me.
>
> I got started with open source software several years ago mainly out
> of curiosity by installing a linux distro (mandrake). Some OSs that I
> have used before archlinux include: mandrake (now mandriva), debian,
> opensuse, fedora core (now fedora), slackware, freebsd, ubuntu, and
> many others. Now my distro hopping days are mostly over thanks to
> archlinux and virtualbox.
>
> I have been using archlinux on my desktop for at least 2 years now. I
> go by the following nicks, td123 on irc/aur, and tomd123 on
> bbs/bugs/wiki.
>
> I currently maintain 78 packages in the aur. [1] I keep them mostly up
> to date and bug free. I know some of the packages aren't perfect but
> most (if not all) work. Most importantly, I don't ignore user
> requests/problem reports. I also go through some bug reports and help
> out where ever I can.
>
> I am fairly comfortable with writing packages for archlinux. I am also
> comfortable fixing bugs in the packages. I currently don't actively
> track upstream development of any packages, mainly because I
> don't have a need to. Occasionally, if I'm curious about certain
> features or just want to check out the changes/progress, I will check
> the repo logs or the changelog. I am mainly interested in maintaining
> scientific/mathematical apps along with apps that follow the unix
> philosophy.
>
> Initially, I would be interested in knowing if I could move
> sage-mathematics from the AUR to community. Also, I would be
> interested in adopting grass from community.
>
> I am hoping that I will get accepted so I can help improve archlinux even more!
>
> -Thomas Dziedzic
>
> [1] - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=td123

I've seen you around and don't have anything bad to say about you, so
that's a start... In regards to you adopting grass if you get the position,
PLEASE DO!!! I hate rebuilding that damn thing :P I have one question for
you though... You mentioned wanting to move one package to [community], and
an interest in adopting one other, but what do you really want to do as a
Trusted User? Is there a specific group of packages that you are interested
in maintaining? As you interested in helping out with site development or
the AUR? Basically, what are your goals for becoming a Trusted User?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

My main goals initially are maintaining [community] packages which
includes fixing bugs in those packages, and maintaining the integrity
of the AUR, for instance, looking over PKGBUILDs submitted to the AUR
and responding to comments made in aur-general.

I'm mainly interested in science/math/unix-philosophy packages.
Although there aren't many of those that are orphans in the community
repos right now. I could also maintain other orphans, most notably the
outdated ones, in community for some time just to update and tidy them
up.

I am not necessarily that interested in developing the web site,
although if there are any outstanding problems I can certainly take a
look at the problems.

P.S. If you think grass is bad, you should see sage-mathematics!!! :P

Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Stefan Husmann

Am 09.06.2010 20:53, schrieb Thomas Dziedzic:

My main goals initially are maintaining [community] packages which
includes fixing bugs in those packages, and maintaining the integrity
of the AUR, for instance, looking over PKGBUILDs submitted to the AUR
and responding to comments made in aur-general.

I'm mainly interested in science/math/unix-philosophy packages.
Although there aren't many of those that are orphans in the community
repos right now. I could also maintain other orphans, most notably the
outdated ones, in community for some time just to update and tidy them
up.

I am not necessarily that interested in developing the web site,
although if there are any outstanding problems I can certainly take a
look at the problems.

P.S. If you think grass is bad, you should see sage-mathematics!!! :P

well, sage-mathematics is not a package, it is a distribution (btw, do you
know scilab?). Some years ago I asked on this list if it should go to
community, and the short discussion ended in the conclusion, that it
should not. But I am fine with disussing it again.

I wish you good luck for your application.

Stefan

Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Stefan Husmann
<stefan-husmann@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 09.06.2010 20:53, schrieb Thomas Dziedzic:
>>
>> My main goals initially are maintaining [community] packages which
>> includes fixing bugs in those packages, and maintaining the integrity
>> of the AUR, for instance, looking over PKGBUILDs submitted to the AUR
>> and responding to comments made in aur-general.
>>
>> I'm mainly interested in science/math/unix-philosophy packages.
>> Although there aren't many of those that are orphans in the community
>> repos right now. I could also maintain other orphans, most notably the
>> outdated ones, in community for some time just to update and tidy them
>> up.
>>
>> I am not necessarily that interested in developing the web site,
>> although if there are any outstanding problems I can certainly take a
>> look at the problems.
>>
>> P.S. If you think grass is bad, you should see sage-mathematics!!! :P
>>
> well, sage-mathematics is not a package, it is a distribution (btw, do you
> know scilab?). Some years ago I asked on this list if it should go to
> community, and the short discussion ended in the conclusion, that it
> should not. But I am fine with disussing it again.
>
> I wish you good luck for your application.
>
> Stefan

I guess you could call it a distribution which puts a lot of tools
under a common interface because that's basically what it is.
Afaik, the programs that come with it are isolated to the package. Too
bad it wont make it to community then, since I was hoping to spare a
lot of compilation time for people :P

With regard to scilab, I haven't used it myself, but it certainly
looks interesting. I'll take a look at it later today.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Ray Rashif

On 10/06/2010, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Stefan Husmann
> <stefan-husmann@t-online.de> wrote:
>> Am 09.06.2010 20:53, schrieb Thomas Dziedzic:
>>>
>>> My main goals initially are maintaining [community] packages which
>>> includes fixing bugs in those packages, and maintaining the integrity
>>> of the AUR, for instance, looking over PKGBUILDs submitted to the AUR
>>> and responding to comments made in aur-general.

I've seen td123 on IRC and bugtracker as well, and I recall him as
being a very friendly fellow. I've yet to take a look at his
buildscripts, but I'm sure he'll be of help to the team.

Good luck!

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Xyne

Stefan Husmann wrote:

> well, sage-mathematics is not a package, it is a distribution (btw, do you
> know scilab?). Some years ago I asked on this list if it should go to
> community, and the short discussion ended in the conclusion, that it
> should not. But I am fine with disussing it again.

I installed Sage once from the AUR back when it was compiled in the
install script (which is also what led to my 32 MB Pacman log). This
seemed very hackish to me and I would expect that was a factor in its
exclusion from [community]. Looking at the current PKGBUILD, it seems
that upstream has finally cleaned up their build scripts to the point
that Sage can be packaged properly.

Considering this along with the relative popularity of Sage (both the
AUR package and the application in general), it would probably be worth
reconsidering its inclusion in [community].

Incidentally, I remember that when I compiled it the package duplicated
several other packages, e.g. maxima, because it includes other
applications internally. Is there any way (yet) to make it use other
packages instead? If not, does it fully provide any other packages?

As for Thomas' application, I have no objections or concerns at the
moment. I've noticed him on the forum and I also use some of his
packages in the AUR (although I hadn't realized that the accounts
belonged to the same person). His packaging skills seem good to me and
he's responsive to user feedback. Coupled with the general attitude
that I've seen in his posts I think he would make a great addition to
the team.

As for the questions raised by others of what he specifically hopes to
do as a TU, I think a focus on scientific apps is a good cause. Science
apps form an important niche and having TUs who can properly maintain
science packages will benefit all users with an interest in science.*

/Xyne

* The idea of an "arch-science" team comes to mind, similar to the
"arch-haskell" team, which has done great work in making Arch useful
for Haskell users, but I don't actually have any concrete ideas of
what that would entail.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Allan McRae

On 10/06/10 02:29, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:

Hello,

My name is Thomas Dziedzic. I recently applied to the Junior Developer
program, but I was not accepted because of the quantity of people that
applied. Allan McRae suggested that I should apply to be a TU so here
I am.

I sure did. I thought Thomas had the skills we needed but his interests
did not really align with what what we need help for in [extra].
Scientific/mathematics/etc packages are really more of a [community] thing.

So even though I do not get a vote around here anymore, I give a +1 to
bringing Thomas as a TU.

Allan