Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Default AUR and deb or other precompiled stuff

> On 06/04/2010 03:28 AM, Ike Devolder wrote:
> > in some recent updates of some packages you see more and more deb's or rpms
> > or whatever being extracted and repacked for arch
> >
> > is there some aur guideline about this, i really don't like this development
> > because why not take advantage of our bleeding edge gcc power
> >
> > if the source is there, why not build from it?
> >
> > in cases like opera it is understandable because it is not open source, but
> > in some other cases like kalsamix i find it very disturbing
> >
> > maybe some other comments about this ?

Excerpts from Nathan O.'s message of 2010-06-04 10:29:56 +0200:
> First I just wanted to clear this, I would normally build from source,
> but if it doesn't work I will attempt at a deb package, but even that
> doesn't work

What about using debian patches? I don't know why they aren't upstream
in the first place, but...

At the moment I kind of understand it that alternatives to compiling are
sought. gcc4.5.0 seems to not only introduce new warnings and errors but
also bugs. I helped yesterday to hopefully nail a bad optimisation
related one. Some call it insane to build a distro on a *.0 gcc.
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan

Fri Jun 4 11:30:01 2010
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:37:51 +0700
From: =?UTF-8?B?0JDQu9C10LrRgdCw0L3QtNGAINCk0YDQvtC70YPRiNC60L jQvQ==? <hokum@mail.ru>
To: "Discussion about the Arch User Repository (AUR)"
<aur-general@archlinux.org>
Subject: Re: [aur-general] AUR and deb or other precompiled stuff
Sender: aur-general-bounces@archlinux.org

--------------070703050105060501040606

Well, may I ask a question in this context?
Many Arch opponents say we have a very limited number of binary packages
and a lot of it in unsuported. I'm looking at my desktop box and really
can't deny it. I have a lot of software from AUR.
Why this happens? Very limited resources, few TU's, strict official
repos policy or what?

Sorry for offtopic, maybe I need to post this on forums?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Philipp berbacher

Excerpts from Nathan O.'s message of 2010-06-04 10:42:33 +0200:
> @Philipp thanks for giving me the idea, I will see if I can find one,
> though I am not 100% sure I will be able to since it is not actually on
> Debian's site. Somebody built the package for the software author.

Another place to look at is gentoo. They are quite up-to-date as well
and source based, it should be easy to find patches. It's the first
place I look at when hunting for patches.
If it is a gcc 4.5.0 issue then you might have no luck there either.
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan

Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Ike Devolder

i'm sorry if this is somekind of attack on your effort to keep this packages
up to date

it was just your message about kalsamix that triggered my concern about deb
packages since i saw more of this.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
"Nathan O."

I understand, and I am not trying to attack either, just wanted to
clarify why I am trying the deb file to attempt to get it to work. See
kamix was the previous version, kalsamix is the updated name version, so
I am trying to get it to work in case something may depend on it or
somebody wants it.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Ike Devolder

I understand your reason for doing it

and maybe be are some massochists as Philipp says because we're building on
a gcc *.0

but thats the fun of arch ofcourse

Old 06-04-2010, 08:47 AM
"Nathan O."

Though I am not sure I am going to have any success with this, every
thing that I attempt and know to try fails.