Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

Default Please delete my package "gobby-dev"

Hey, please delete my package "gobby-dev"
(http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=27325) in AUR because somebody
finally packaged gobby in the dev version for community and now my
package is redundant.

-- Sven-Hendrik

Old 06-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Angel Velásquez

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/06/10 21:19, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>>
>> Hey, please delete my package "gobby-dev"
>> (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=27325) in AUR because somebody
>> finally packaged gobby in the dev version for community and now my
>> package is redundant.

As a past maintainer of gobby all I can say is that 0.4.93 is UNSTABLE
.. the last stable version is 0.4.12 which IMO is where our gobby
binary package should be ..

I will send a mail to sergej to see his thoughts.

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 04.06.2010 00:44, Angel Velásquez wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/06/10 21:19, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>>
>>> Hey, please delete my package "gobby-dev"
>>> (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=27325) in AUR because somebody
>>> finally packaged gobby in the dev version for community and now my
>>> package is redundant.
>>>

> As a past maintainer of gobby all I can say is that 0.4.93 is UNSTABLE
> .. the last stable version is 0.4.12 which IMO is where our gobby
> binary package should be ..
>
> I will send a mail to sergej to see his thoughts.

0.4.93 is pretty good for me. I think 0.4.12 is almost unusable (no
undo/redo). I like the decision of making -dev the standard version.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Angel Velásquez

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> On 04.06.2010 00:44, Angel Velásquez wrote:

>> As a past maintainer of gobby all I can say is that 0.4.93 is UNSTABLE
>> .. the last stable version is 0.4.12 which IMO is where our gobby
>> binary package should be ..
>>
>> I will send a mail to sergej to see his thoughts.
>>

> 0.4.93 is pretty good for me. I think 0.4.12 is almost unusable (no
> undo/redo). I like the decision of making -dev the standard version.

Hmm 0.4.12 as I said is the *stable* version, 0.4.93 is the
_experimental_ one, maybe 0.4.12 version lack of features that gobby
0.5.0 will have (0.4.9X branch is suposed to be the next 0.5.0 release
IIRC when it will be finished, once again is a non-stable software).

I don't like the idea of packaging experimental stuff, 0.4.93 is a
snapshot of -not yet finished- software, but it's just my opinion.

Thoughts of other Devs/TU/Users are apreciated .

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
"stefan-husmann@t-online.de"

> > On 04.06.2010 00:44, Angel Velásquez wrote:

> somebody >>>> finally packaged gobby in the dev version for community
> and now my >>>> package is redundant.
> >>>>

> >> As a past maintainer of gobby all I can say is that 0.4.93 is
> UNSTABLE >> .. the last stable version is 0.4.12 which IMO is where
> our gobby >> binary package should be ..
> >>
> >> I will send a mail to sergej to see his thoughts.
> >>

> > 0.4.93 is pretty good for me. I think 0.4.12 is almost unusable (no
> > undo/redo). I like the decision of making -dev the standard
> > version.
> >

> Hmm 0.4.12 as I said is the *stable* version, 0.4.93 is the
> _experimental_ one, maybe 0.4.12 version lack of features that gobby
> 0.5.0 will have (0.4.9X branch is suposed to be the next 0.5.0 release
> IIRC when it will be finished, once again is a non-stable software).
>
> I don't like the idea of packaging experimental stuff, 0.4.93 is a
> snapshot of -not yet finished- software, but it's just my opinion.
>
> Thoughts of other Devs/TU/Users are apreciated .
>
> --
> Angel Velásquez
> angvp @ irc.freenode.net
> Arch Linux Trusted User
> Linux Counter: #359909
> http://www.angvp.com

Hello Angel,

generally spoken you are right, but we should allow exceptions from that
rule.
We had an emacs-cvs package for years because that was the one people
really used and despite being build from CVS it was damned stable.

How long does "release" 0.4.93 exist? If was not changed for long, we
can consider it
stable. The maintainer should be able to decide this.

Regards Stefan

Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Angel Velásquez

> Hello Angel,
>
> generally spoken you are right, but we should allow exceptions from that
> rule.
> We had an emacs-cvs package for years because that was the one people
> really used and despite being build from CVS it was damned stable.

Yes but 0.4.12 was released after 0.4.93 .. they are handling the
version number system in a strange way.

See [1]

> How long does "release" 0.4.93 exist? If was not changed for long, we
> can consider it
> stable. The maintainer should be able to decide this.

Release 0.4.93 exist since 20-12-2009, 8 days later they released a
new _stable_ version (28-12-2009), as I said, the way that they are
using to handling their version number is not correct at all, and it
tends to confuse people, saying that 0.4.12 it was out-of-date.

0.4.93 uses libinfinity and split ot the net6 package .. net6 which
still in [community] its for 0.4.12 at this moment doing nothing
(because isn't required for other software) .. I am against update to
0.4.93, as I said, is not a stable release and they're still
development stable releases under 0.4.XX branch and unstable into
0.4.9X branch (as you see this is kinda confusing).. This is not the
case from emacs, in this case, should be more like the php case .. 5.2
vs 5.3 ..

Copying again to sergej

[1] http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/

Regards

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Sergej Pupykin

Release 0.4.93 exist since 20-12-2009, 8 days later they released a
new _stable_ version (28-12-2009), as I said, the way that they are
using to handling their version number is not correct at all, and it
tends to confuse people, saying that 0.4.12 it was out-of-date.

0.4.93 uses libinfinity and split ot the net6 package .. net6 which
still in [community] its for 0.4.12 at this moment doing nothing
(because isn't required for other software) .. I am against update to
0.4.93, as I said, is not a stable release and they're still
development stable releases under 0.4.XX branch and unstable into
0.4.9X branch (as you see this is kinda confusing).. This is not the
case from emacs, in this case, should be more like the php case .. 5.2
vs 5.3 ..

Copying again to sergej

[1] http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/

Hi,

rolling back to 0.4.12.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Isaac Dupree

Well, in some cases like Audacity we package the "beta" version 1.3.x,
even though there also a stable branch 1.2.x ... admittedly the last
stable update was released 3-4 years ago and the 1.3.x branch was still
called "beta" back then., (1.2.6, which was released Nov. 2006 as far as
I can tell, which is indeed after 1.3.2 and earlier were released.) But
I think, even when the upstream releases stable-branch updates with
version numbers, we should allow ourselves to take a case-by-case basis.
(Or provide multiple options... I guess the Arch way to do this is to
put the less-popular options in AUR under a different package-name...
hmm...)

Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 06/07/2010 01:00 PM, Sergej Pupykin wrote:

[...]

Can I get back my gobby-dev package?