Old 06-03-2010, 05:35 AM
"Nathan O."

Default Opinions

I was wanting to get people's opinion, anybody against packaging
$pkgname.desktop and icon for packages or would it be better to just
package the app.

I tend to just package the app and that is it, but I thought I'd get
others opinion on this.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 AM
"Nathan O."

Thanks for the reply, I figured it may be better just to do the app, but
also wondered if it would be good in case it gets moved upstream.

I was wanting to get people's opinion, anybody against packaging
$pkgname.desktop and icon for packages or would it be better to just
package the app.

I tend to just package the app and that is it, but I thought I'd get
others opinion on this.

You can provide them if you want, but it is always better to get them
included upstream.

Allan

Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 AM
"Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)"

On 06/03/10 at 12:39am, Nathan O. wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, I figured it may be better just to do the app,
> but also wondered if it would be good in case it gets moved
> upstream.
>
> On 06/03/2010 12:41 AM, Allan McRae wrote:
> >On 03/06/10 15:35, Nathan O. wrote:
> >>I was wanting to get people's opinion, anybody against packaging
> >>$pkgname.desktop and icon for packages or would it be better to just
> >>package the app.
> >>
> >>I tend to just package the app and that is it, but I thought I'd get
> >>others opinion on this.
> >>

> >You can provide them if you want, but it is always better to get
> >them included upstream.
> >
> >Allan

Generally, I try to use included .desktop files and icons. If none
are included and it is a purely desktop app, then I'll include my
own (after sending them upstream).

Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 AM
"Nathan O."

On 06/03/2010 12:49 AM, Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227) wrote:

On 06/03/10 at 12:39am, Nathan O. wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I figured it may be better just to do the app,
but also wondered if it would be good in case it gets moved
upstream.

On 06/03/2010 12:41 AM, Allan McRae wrote:

On 03/06/10 15:35, Nathan O. wrote:

I was wanting to get people's opinion, anybody against packaging
$pkgname.desktop and icon for packages or would it be better to just
package the app.

I tend to just package the app and that is it, but I thought I'd get
others opinion on this.

You can provide them if you want, but it is always better to get
them included upstream.

Allan

Generally, I try to use included .desktop files and icons. If none
are included and it is a purely desktop app, then I'll include my
own (after sending them upstream).

Alot of the apps I have been working with doesn't have .desktop files