Old 05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Stephen Weinberg

Default Convention question

On Mon, 31 May 2010 11:00:53 -0500
Chris Brannon <cmbrannon79@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stephen Weinberg wrote:
> > I know. I read that when making mine. I am wondering why that
> > package deletes the source when it is done with it. It makes more
> > sense to update the svn when you rebuild the package instead of
> > redownloading the whole thing.
>
> Right. You shouldn't delete your svn checkout after building the
> source. However, you should copy the source to a second directory.
> Do the build in that directory, to avoid polluting your checkout.
> That's how things are done in
> /usr/share/pacman/PKGBUILD-svn.proto.
> The code in that prototype also removes any build directory left from
> a previous run of makepkg.
>
> -- Chris

That makes sense. I need to change my package. But the pkgbuild I
pointed to just deletes the main checkout.
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/abiword-svn/abiword-svn/PKGBUILD
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/abiword-svn/abiword-svn/PKGBUILD

Old 05-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Chris Brannon

Stephen Weinberg wrote:
> That makes sense. I need to change my package. But the pkgbuild I
> pointed to just deletes the main checkout.
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/abiword-svn/abiword-svn/PKGBUILD
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/abiword-svn/abiword-svn/PKGBUILD

That package should probably be changed.
You can't necessarily rely on PKGBUILDs from the AUR for your examples.
I'd say that you are better off sticking with the prototypes in
/usr/share/pacman. The wiki also contains some great pages, when you
need further clarification.
You might find the following useful:
<http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VCS_PKGBUILD_Guidelines>

-- Chris