Old 05-30-2010, 05:20 AM
"Nathan O."

Default Problem with makechrootpkg

I am trying to run makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i in the dir that contains
the PKGBUILD

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 461: /dev/null: Permission denied

I redid the chroot with mkarchroot -f /aur/root base base-devel sudo to
see if that would help but still the same error. I tried another package
earlier and it gave the same error, thought maybe there was something
else wrong.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:36 AM
"Nathan O."

I am trying to run makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i in the dir that contains
the PKGBUILD

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 461: /dev/null: Permission denied

I redid the chroot with mkarchroot -f /aur/root base base-devel sudo to
see if that would help but still the same error. I tried another package
earlier and it gave the same error, thought maybe there was something
else wrong.

Are you running it as root? It needs root permissions and then
makechrootpkg changes to user nobody to do the building.

Allan

Yup it is being ran as root

Old 05-30-2010, 05:38 AM
"Nathan O."

I am trying to run makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i in the dir that contains
the PKGBUILD

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 461: /dev/null: Permission denied

I redid the chroot with mkarchroot -f /aur/root base base-devel sudo to
see if that would help but still the same error. I tried another
package

earlier and it gave the same error, thought maybe there was something
else wrong.

Are you running it as root? It needs root permissions and then
makechrootpkg changes to user nobody to do the building.

Allan

Yup it is being ran as root

Hmm I restarted after some pacman upgrades and now it works. Now atleast
this is a solution to try if anybody else gets this error.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:43 AM
jwbirdsong

I am trying to run makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i in the dir that contains
the PKGBUILD

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 461: /dev/null: Permission denied

I redid the chroot with mkarchroot -f /aur/root base base-devel sudo to
see if that would help but still the same error. I tried another
package

earlier and it gave the same error, thought maybe there was something
else wrong.

Are you running it as root? It needs root permissions and then
makechrootpkg changes to user nobody to do the building.

Allan

Yup it is being ran as root

I had a same/similar issue the 1st time I tried to use a 'clean chroot'
It's been a while and I'm kinda of vague on the details. My problem
boiled down to I had installed to a 2nd USB drive and had/was having
some mounting issues w/ whole drive in general. I think MY issue was
permission(s) on the chroot/drive but once I move it to my $HOME it
worked flawlessly.

Not any real advice just maybe something will click for someone else
that can help you.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:57 AM
jwbirdsong

I am trying to run makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i in the dir that
contains

the PKGBUILD

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 461: /dev/null: Permission denied

I redid the chroot with mkarchroot -f /aur/root base base-devel
sudo to
see if that would help but still the same error. I tried another
package

earlier and it gave the same error, thought maybe there was something
else wrong.

Are you running it as root? It needs root permissions and then
makechrootpkg changes to user nobody to do the building.

Allan

Yup it is being ran as root

Hmm I restarted after some pacman upgrades and now it works. Now
atleast this is a solution to try if anybody else gets this error.

Ignore my earlier noise/babble then.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:58 AM
"Nathan O."

I am trying to run makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i in the dir that
contains

the PKGBUILD

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 461: /dev/null: Permission denied

I redid the chroot with mkarchroot -f /aur/root base base-devel
sudo to
see if that would help but still the same error. I tried another
package

earlier and it gave the same error, thought maybe there was something
else wrong.

Are you running it as root? It needs root permissions and then
makechrootpkg changes to user nobody to do the building.

Allan

Yup it is being ran as root

Hmm I restarted after some pacman upgrades and now it works. Now
atleast this is a solution to try if anybody else gets this error.

Ignore my earlier noise/babble then.
LOL it's ok, maybe some people will remember what I did and tell them if
they upgraded packages in pacman to restart to try and fix it.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Ionut Biru

I am trying to run makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i in the dir that contains
the PKGBUILD

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 461: /dev/null: Permission denied

I redid the chroot with mkarchroot -f /aur/root base base-devel sudo to
see if that would help but still the same error. I tried another package
earlier and it gave the same error, thought maybe there was something
else wrong.

that happens when you run the second compilation ON the same chroot. it
breaking the permission of /dev/null

--
Ionut

Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Ionut Biru

I am trying to run makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i in the dir that contains
the PKGBUILD

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 461: /dev/null: Permission denied

I redid the chroot with mkarchroot -f /aur/root base base-devel sudo to
see if that would help but still the same error. I tried another package
earlier and it gave the same error, thought maybe there was something
else wrong.

that happens when you run the second compilation ON the same chroot. it
breaking the permission of /dev/null

to be more clearly. that happens when you have a compilation in
progresss in /aur chroot and you start a second one in paralalel in the
same chroot with -c. that will clear and delete everything and for some
reason it breaking /dev/null permission. chmod 777 /dev/null is solving
this or a reboot

--
Ionut

Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 AM
"Nathan O."

I am trying to run makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i in the dir that contains
the PKGBUILD

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 461: /dev/null: Permission denied

I redid the chroot with mkarchroot -f /aur/root base base-devel sudo to
see if that would help but still the same error. I tried another package
earlier and it gave the same error, thought maybe there was something
else wrong.

that happens when you run the second compilation ON the same chroot.
it breaking the permission of /dev/null

Funny thing is I can also run clean first and same error, I got it again
a little ago after I figured out i would have to reboot to fix it, but
it seems whenever an app needs intltool it gives that issue