Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Ionut Biru

Default UID/GID for packages from community

Hi,
this message is for our trusted users. Please add to the wiki[1] UID/GID
for packages that you maintain to not have this issue again:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19617

it just sucks, since i used a number that is not used in the table.

[1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database

--
Ionut

Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Nico Schottelius

Good morning,

Ionut Biru [Fri, May 28, 2010 at 02:02:55AM +0300]:
> Hi,
> this message is for our trusted users. Please add to the wiki[1]
> UID/GID for packages that you maintain to not have this issue again:
>
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19617

Regarding http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database,
I'm wondering why arch does not stick to a minimal set of users and dynamically
adds users, if a package needs one?

The table looks a bit strange to me, as using high numbered ids
(qmail stuff) will probably break in every larger organisation, where
you setup uids from ldap to start at 1000 and they normally cover way
more than just 7k+.

It also looks like it creates a real mess in the system, if you pre-define
static mappings before and thus fillup 140 ids.

So, what's the point of having this static table and not just to generate
users with the next free id?

Cheers,

Nico

--
New PGP key: 7ED9 F7D3 6B10 81D7 0EC5 5C09 D7DC C8E4 3187 7DF0
Please resign, if you signed 9885188C or 8D0E27A4.

Currently moving *.schottelius.org to http://www.nico.schottelius.org/ ...

Old 05-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Loui Chang

On Fri 28 May 2010 07:05 +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> Regarding
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database,
> I'm wondering why arch does not stick to a minimal set of users and
> dynamically adds users, if a package needs one?
>
> The table looks a bit strange to me, as using high numbered ids
> (qmail stuff) will probably break in every larger organisation, where
> you setup uids from ldap to start at 1000 and they normally cover way
> more than just 7k+.
>
> It also looks like it creates a real mess in the system, if you pre-define
> static mappings before and thus fillup 140 ids.
>
> So, what's the point of having this static table and not just to generate
> users with the next free id?

I think the idea is to keep system/program IDs within a specific range.