Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 AM
"Sgt. Spoon"

Default rt2860: proposed addition to community repository

I would like to propose the addition of the AUR package rt2860 to the
community repo.

It contains the wireless drivers for the rt2860 chipsets, which come
with all of Asus EEE PCs. This chipset is supported in the Arch
install media but not in an actual fresh installation. In addition,
there is no option to install it during an Arch install.
Unfortunately, this means that those of us who do not have Ethernet
connections available to us during installtime have no way of actually
getting this card to work. As the package currently has 41 votes, I
strongly recommend its inclusion in the community repo.

If there are any TUs who would like to take this up, please do so.
This package is hardly updated so it really shouldn't be too much of a
hassle.

Thanks in advance,
sergeantspoon

Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Jan Steffens

The drivers are in the default arch kernel (rt2800pci), all that is
missing is the firmware. I believe rt2860-firmware from AUR would be a
better choice (after some fixes to the PKGBUILD).

Old 05-10-2010, 02:46 AM
"Sgt. Spoon"

Unfortunately rt2860-firmware does not include the RT2860STA.dat file
that the Eee wireless drivers need to function. rt2860 includes this
file.

The Ralink drivers are a mess. *sigh*

Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Jan Steffens

rt2860sta and rt2800pci are two different drivers both supporting the
rt2860 chipset.

rt2800pci is the newer one, built on the same wireless subsystem as
the intel drivers.

In fact, since the rt2860 firmware has the same license as the iwlwifi
firmware, I believe it should be included in core.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM
"Sgt. Spoon"

After conducting further research, I have concluded that you are
indeed correct. My mistake. In this case, I would like to switch my
recommendation to the rt2860-firmware package.