Old 04-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Caleb Cushing

Default plz remove perl-set-infinite

Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Evangelos Foutras

On 27/04/10 14:12, Caleb Cushing wrote:

Done.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Firmicus

On 27/04/2010 13:12, Caleb Cushing wrote:

Hi Caleb,

These requests of yours pop up quite frequently on this mailing list. I
assume you are using a tool that generates those PKGBUILD for CPAN
distributions (perhaps pacpan?) and then submits them to the AUR. Often
it seems the tool you are using is not very good at finding out whether
a perl package is already in the repos or not. Perhaps you could improve
that, to avoid annoying the TUs every couple of days

Best,

Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Xyne

> Hi Caleb,
>
> These requests of yours pop up quite frequently on this mailing list. I
> assume you are using a tool that generates those PKGBUILD for CPAN
> distributions (perhaps pacpan?) and then submits them to the AUR. Often
> it seems the tool you are using is not very good at finding out whether
> a perl package is already in the repos or not. Perhaps you could improve
> that, to avoid annoying the TUs every couple of days
>
> Best,

For the record, Pacpan does detect repo packages and it does not submit
packages to the AUR.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:59 AM
Caleb Cushing

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Firmicus <Firmicus@gmx.net> wrote:
> These requests of yours pop up quite frequently on this mailing list.
I try not to.

> assume you are using a tool that generates those PKGBUILD for CPAN
> distributions (perhaps pacpan?) and then submits them to the AUR.

if you read the pkgbuild you would know.

> Often it
> seems the tool you are using is not very good at finding out whether a perl
> package is already in the repos or not.

The tool doesn't check. I have to do that by hand. I'm not aware of
any tool that does. I suppose I could work on adding that
functionality as it would be really useful. I'm getting tired of
checking.

> Perhaps you could improve that, to
> avoid annoying the TUs every couple of days

Instead of asking me not to make a mistake how about we allow authors
to delete there own packages from AUR? Or maybe Make AUR smarter and
reject packages that are in one of the other repos.

problem is I've got more packages and am adding more every day. for
every 1 I've asked you to delete I've added (or adopted) about 20 (to
the tune that I maintain over 300 now and growing). I'm trying to make
sure I check every package before uploading. but sometimes I screw up.

I've got a system that I'm working on that's helping to keep me from
doing this. I now have a partial list (well really the templates I
generate from) of what I'm actually maintaining here
http://github.com/xenoterracide/AURpan .

I still have to check cpanp -o daily to see what's out of date, that's
not on that list. Then I try to check to see if it's on aur or in an
arch repo and respond appropriately. Again, sometimes I screw up.

I suppose the final option is to make me a TU so that I can handle my
own deletions.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:03 AM
Caleb Cushing

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@gmail.com> wrote:
> or
> every 1 I've asked you to delete I've added (or adopted) about 20

I'd also like to note that I flag about 10 packages out of date that
are in Arch repos at that ratio. (ratio's are POOMA btw).

Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 AM
"Allan McRae"

seems the tool you are using is not very good at finding out whether a perl
package is already in the repos or not.

The tool doesn't check. I have to do that by hand. I'm not aware of
any tool that does.

pacman does... "pacman -Ss perl-set-infinite" makes it quite clear that
this package is in [community]. One of the old perl package generators
used to give a error if a package was already in the repo so it can be done.

Perhaps you could improve that, to
avoid annoying the TUs every couple of days

Instead of asking me not to make a mistake how about we allow authors
to delete there own packages from AUR?

We had issues with people adopting a bunch of packages and deleting
them. So this is not going to happen.

> I suppose the final option is to make me a TU so that I can handle my
> own deletions.

So make you a TU so you can clean up your frequent mistakes... does not
sound a convincing argument! :P

Old 04-29-2010, 03:34 AM
Caleb Cushing

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> pacman does... *"pacman -Ss perl-set-infinite" makes it quite clear that
> this package is in [community].

that's still manually. that's yet another command I have to type.

> * One of the old perl package generators
> used to give a error if a package was already in the repo so it can be done.

I know it can be done. but it's not been implemented here yet. I
suppose I can look into it... but that could take a while, if you want
it now... patches to CPANPLUS:ist::Arch are welcome > .

While I'm at it I'm going to make it automagically flag your packages
out of date so I don't have to do that anymore either.

> We had issues with people adopting a bunch of packages and deleting them.
> *So this is not going to happen.

shame that people have to ruin something like that. Have a queue
delete button that will delete the files after like a week or
something. Then have an interface that allows you to reject deletions
and block them from the queue... or... you could just have it where it
allows you to approve each one. It would at least save us all from
emailing.

I notice you didn't respond to the idea that aur rejects them
instead... since aur will reject a package I don't own if it's on aur.
why not just reject any package that's in any of the other repo's for
the same reason.

> So make you a TU so you can clean up your frequent mistakes... *does not
> sound a convincing argument! :P

It wasn't meant to be. If someone eventually decides to talk to me
about it, I'll consider it at that time. I'm not asking, it wasn't a
serious statement. AUR actually works well enough for me to contribute
in what I believe is a meaningful manner. AUR is great.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 AM
Caleb Cushing

I suppose there is at least one other option. I could stop
contributing period and you guys could orphan all my packages. would
that be preferred?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:42 AM
Nico Schottelius

Good morning devs,

just a comment from a complete archlinux newbie:

Caleb Cushing [Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:34:26PM -0400]:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> [...]
> I notice you didn't respond to the idea that aur rejects them
> instead... since aur will reject a package I don't own if it's on aur.
> why not just reject any package that's in any of the other repo's for
> the same reason.

I'm not sure what the aur-rules say about having a (more up-to-date)
package in aur in that repos, but in general:

a) If having a package in both, a repo & aur, is not allowed:
Depending on the server side
implementation of the upload handling, it should be pretty easy to
add a check there. And I think it would make much sense, to automate
stuff that a human normally fails at and does not want to do.

b) In any other case (uploading allowed in general or only for special reasons):
Why not add a warning and refuse an upload of the same package by default,
but allow --force-because-I-know-what-I-do-flag somewhere?

Caleb Cushing [Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:36:39PM -0400]:
> I suppose there is at least one other option. I could stop
> contributing period and you guys could orphan all my packages. would
> that be preferred?

Threatening never makes you friends, Caleb.

Cheers,

Nico

--
New PGP key: 7ED9 F7D3 6B10 81D7 0EC5 5C09 D7DC C8E4 3187 7DF0
Please resign, if you signed 9885188C or 8D0E27A4.

Currently moving *.schottelius.org to http://www.nico.schottelius.org/ ...