Old 04-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Philipp

Default installing files for a specific user

Hi,
I wonder whether it's possible to install files for a user
automatically. Sometimes it would be appropriate to create user specific
files instead of or in addition to the system wide files.
I wonder whether this is possible and how. I guess it would at least
require a post-install hook in the install file but that's as far as my
guess goes.

Thanks,
Philipp

Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Hubert Grzeskowiak

> Hi,
> I wonder whether it's possible to install files for a user
> automatically. Sometimes it would be appropriate to create user specific
> files instead of or in addition to the system wide files.
> I wonder whether this is possible and how. I guess it would at least
> require a post-install hook in the install file but that's as far as my
> guess goes.
>
> Thanks,
> Philipp
The only way to do that is writing a globally installed script that copies or
downloads required files into $HOME.
That's because the whole packaging system is made with root permissions in
mind. For user-space packages there are other systems, independent of pacman's.

--
Have a nice day
Nemesis#13

Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Philipp

Excerpts from Hubert Grzeskowiak's message of 2010-04-23 02:35:18 +0200:
> > Hi,
> > I wonder whether it's possible to install files for a user
> > automatically. Sometimes it would be appropriate to create user specific
> > files instead of or in addition to the system wide files.
> > I wonder whether this is possible and how. I guess it would at least
> > require a post-install hook in the install file but that's as far as my
> > guess goes.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Philipp
> The only way to do that is writing a globally installed script that copies or
> downloads required files into $HOME.
> That's because the whole packaging system is made with root permissions in
> mind. For user-space packages there are other systems, independent of pacman's.

That's what I feared. Guess I'll stick to post-install messages then.
Thanks