Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Jan Steffens

Default TU application: Jan Steffens

Greetings,

My name is Jan Alexander Steffens and I'm a 22 year old CS student
living in Karlsruhe, Germany.

I've been introduced to Linux in high school, where the administration
team (which mainly consisted of students) were avid supporters of free
software.

Since then, I went through quite a few distributions: SuSE, Mandrake,
Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian. Gentoo was the first distribution that got me
interested in getting to know the internals a bit more. About a year
ago, a fellow CS student introduced me to Arch. After I blew up my
Fedora installation (accidentally wrote to /dev/root), I chose to give
Arch a try. I got hooked. Its simplicity really makes it a joy to tinker
with. Especially creating packages and offering them to others (AUR)
is something Arch made easy.

I currently run two Arch systems, one on my laptop and one on a headless
box mainly acting as a router. Both are getting packages from [testing].

Arch is the first distribution I actually started contributing back to.
I began frequenting the Archlinux channels on Freenode, now and then
helping out others and asking my own questions. I reported bugs I found,
and I uploaded and maintain 15 packages in the AUR [1].

I use Pulseaudio on my laptop: Some of my packages in the AUR center on
it, and I gave the wiki page on Pulseaudio an overhaul. I'm interested
in taking over maintenance of the pulseaudio packages in [community] and
improve Pulseaudio on Arch Linux.

A few days ago, I finally got up the nerve to write about my gripes with
the gvim package and propose a solution [2]. I was overwhelmed with the
positive response. Now Dan Griffiths approached me and offered to
sponsor my application as a TU. Thank you, Dan.

I hope I'm getting accepted as TU and we can work together on improving
this great distribution. :-)

Regards,
Jan "heftig" Steffens

1: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=heftig
2: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19087

Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 AM
"Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)"

On 04/19/10 at 08:20am, Jan Steffens wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My name is Jan Alexander Steffens and I'm a 22 year old CS student
> living in Karlsruhe, Germany.
>
> I've been introduced to Linux in high school, where the administration
> team (which mainly consisted of students) were avid supporters of free
> software.
>
> Since then, I went through quite a few distributions: SuSE, Mandrake,
> Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian. Gentoo was the first distribution that got me
> interested in getting to know the internals a bit more. About a year
> ago, a fellow CS student introduced me to Arch. After I blew up my
> Fedora installation (accidentally wrote to /dev/root), I chose to give
> Arch a try. I got hooked. Its simplicity really makes it a joy to tinker
> with. Especially creating packages and offering them to others (AUR)
> is something Arch made easy.
>
> I currently run two Arch systems, one on my laptop and one on a headless
> box mainly acting as a router. Both are getting packages from [testing].
>
> Arch is the first distribution I actually started contributing back to.
> I began frequenting the Archlinux channels on Freenode, now and then
> helping out others and asking my own questions. I reported bugs I found,
> and I uploaded and maintain 15 packages in the AUR [1].
>
> I use Pulseaudio on my laptop: Some of my packages in the AUR center on
> it, and I gave the wiki page on Pulseaudio an overhaul. I'm interested
> in taking over maintenance of the pulseaudio packages in [community] and
> improve Pulseaudio on Arch Linux.
>
> A few days ago, I finally got up the nerve to write about my gripes with
> the gvim package and propose a solution [2]. I was overwhelmed with the
> positive response. Now Dan Griffiths approached me and offered to
> sponsor my application as a TU. Thank you, Dan.
>
> I hope I'm getting accepted as TU and we can work together on improving
> this great distribution. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Jan "heftig" Steffens
>

> 1: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=heftig
> 2: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19087

I'm happy to sponser Jan in his efforts to become a Trusted User! He has
repeatedly shown an aptitude for helping users in IRC, and while he currently
maintains only a few packages in AUR, those he does maintain are impeccable.
He has expressed interest in maintaining the PulseAudio packages in [community]
and given our recent losses, I would be happy to hand them off to him. As
an active PA user, he is certainly better suited than I to maintain them.
His work on the recently updated vim/gvim package greatly increases the
efficency and quality of what is traditionally one of our more difficult
packages. I believe he would be an asset to the team! Let us begin the
discussion period!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Philipp

Excerpts from Jan Steffens's message of 2010-04-19 08:20:53 +0200:
> Greetings,
>
> My name is Jan Alexander Steffens and I'm a 22 year old CS student
> living in Karlsruhe, Germany.
>
> I've been introduced to Linux in high school, where the administration
> team (which mainly consisted of students) were avid supporters of free
> software.
>
> Since then, I went through quite a few distributions: SuSE, Mandrake,
> Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian. Gentoo was the first distribution that got me
> interested in getting to know the internals a bit more. About a year
> ago, a fellow CS student introduced me to Arch. After I blew up my
> Fedora installation (accidentally wrote to /dev/root), I chose to give
> Arch a try. I got hooked. Its simplicity really makes it a joy to tinker
> with. Especially creating packages and offering them to others (AUR)
> is something Arch made easy.
>
> I currently run two Arch systems, one on my laptop and one on a headless
> box mainly acting as a router. Both are getting packages from [testing].
>
> Arch is the first distribution I actually started contributing back to.
> I began frequenting the Archlinux channels on Freenode, now and then
> helping out others and asking my own questions. I reported bugs I found,
> and I uploaded and maintain 15 packages in the AUR [1].
>
> I use Pulseaudio on my laptop: Some of my packages in the AUR center on
> it, and I gave the wiki page on Pulseaudio an overhaul. I'm interested
> in taking over maintenance of the pulseaudio packages in [community] and
> improve Pulseaudio on Arch Linux.
>
> A few days ago, I finally got up the nerve to write about my gripes with
> the gvim package and propose a solution [2]. I was overwhelmed with the
> positive response. Now Dan Griffiths approached me and offered to
> sponsor my application as a TU. Thank you, Dan.
>
> I hope I'm getting accepted as TU and we can work together on improving
> this great distribution. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Jan "heftig" Steffens
>

> 1: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=heftig
> 2: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19087

Good luck!
Taking on the PA challenge is quite something.

Regards,
Philipp

Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Ronald van Haren

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Jan Steffens
<jan.steffens@student.kit.edu> wrote:
> Greetings,

Hi,

Good to see another TU application, it has been far too long.

> Since then, I went through quite a few distributions: SuSE, Mandrake,
> Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian. Gentoo was the first distribution that got me
> interested in getting to know the internals a bit more. About a year
> ago, a fellow CS student introduced me to Arch. After I blew up my
> Fedora installation (accidentally wrote to /dev/root), I chose to give
> Arch a try. I got hooked. Its simplicity really makes it a joy to tinker
> with. Especially creating packages and offering them to others (AUR)
> is something Arch made easy.

How long have you been using Arch?

> I use Pulseaudio on my laptop: Some of my packages in the AUR center on
> it, and I gave the wiki page on Pulseaudio an overhaul. I'm interested
> in taking over maintenance of the pulseaudio packages in [community] and
> improve Pulseaudio on Arch Linux.

Seems like a good idea. Are you also interested in other audio related
packages?

> I hope I'm getting accepted as TU and we can work together on improving
> this great distribution. :-)

good luck with your application.

Ronald

Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Jan Steffens

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 10:52 +0200, Ronald van Haren wrote:
> How long have you been using Arch?

A bit less than a year. There wasn't much time (about a month, if I
recall correctly) between when I first heard of Arch Linux and the death
of my Fedora.

> Seems like a good idea. Are you also interested in other audio related
> packages?

Like which? I don't do pro audio work, myself.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Ronald van Haren

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Jan Steffens
<jan.steffens@student.kit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 10:52 +0200, Ronald van Haren wrote:
>> How long have you been using Arch?
>
> A bit less than a year. There wasn't much time (about a month, if I
> recall correctly) between when I first heard of Arch Linux and the death
> of my Fedora.
>
>> Seems like a good idea. Are you also interested in other audio related
>> packages?
>
> Like which? I don't do pro audio work, myself.

I believe there was some need for help with audio related packages
which currently sit in extra (probably the ones which are orphaned). I
don't care much about audio as long as I have some sound, so don't
really known the specifics.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 AM

On 04/19/10 at 11:32am, Ronald van Haren wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Jan Steffens
> <jan.steffens@student.kit.edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 10:52 +0200, Ronald van Haren wrote:
> >> How long have you been using Arch?
> >
> > A bit less than a year. There wasn't much time (about a month, if I
> > recall correctly) between when I first heard of Arch Linux and the death
> > of my Fedora.
> >
> >> Seems like a good idea. Are you also interested in other audio related
> >> packages?
> >
> > Like which? I don't do pro audio work, myself.
> >

> I believe there was some need for help with audio related packages
> which currently sit in extra (probably the ones which are orphaned). I
> don't care much about audio as long as I have some sound, so don't
> really known the specifics.
I adopted many of the audio orphans, although not all of them... He's
welcome to them if he gets accepted though. :P I sure don't mind losing
a few packages.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Ionut Biru

On 04/19/2010 09:20 AM, Jan Steffens wrote:

Greetings,

hey

I hope I'm getting accepted as TU and we can work together on improving
this great distribution. :-)

i was thinking that nobody wants to contribute to the community since 5
months passed without any applications. Good luck!

--
Ionut

Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Andrea Scarpino

On Monday 19 April 2010 08:20:53 Jan Steffens wrote:
> A few days ago, I finally got up the nerve to write about my gripes with
> the gvim package and propose a solution [2]. I was overwhelmed with the
> positive response. Now Dan Griffiths approached me and offered to
> sponsor my application as a TU. Thank you, Dan.
Nice to see an application again.

I read your PKGBUILDs and they look fine; only minor minor things as $pkgname
in desc, checksums at the end of PKGBUILD, and I saw that you do not like to
quote words in arrays

Good luck!!

--
Andrea Scarpino
KDE4 Maintainer for Arch Linux

Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Philipp

Excerpts from Jan Steffens's message of 2010-04-19 11:16:06 +0200:
> > Seems like a good idea. Are you also interested in other audio related
> > packages?
>
> Like which? I don't do pro audio work, myself.

Schiv already did some good work in the pro audio section. It's probably more
important to have someone take care of desktop audio as it has more
users. There might still be something left in to desktop/pro interaction
section, by which I mean jack/PA interaction, but I'm not too sure about
it. PA seems to work fine on top of jack. I heard from other distros
that PA is hard to kill there, and hence it's hard to free the interface
for jack, but I don't know whether that's true for Arch.

Regards,
Philipp