Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Hervé Cauwelier

Default package version with hyphen

Hi,

I've just noticed pkgver is not interpreted when uploading to AUR.

I am packaging a program versionned "1.0-beta" and I learned hypens are
forbidden in pkgver: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD

I first tried this:

_pkgver=1.0-beta
pkgver=${pkgver/-/_}

But it was displayed as something like "pkgver/-/_}".

So I had to double the declaration:

pkgver=1.0-beta
pkgver=1.0_beta

The wiki doesn't give tips for cases like this. What would be your
advice for not repeating myself?

Thanks,

--
Hervé Cauwelier

Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Ronald van Haren

2010/3/29 Hervé Cauwelier <herve@oursours.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I've just noticed pkgver is not interpreted when uploading to AUR.
>
> I am packaging a program versionned "1.0-beta" and I learned hypens are
> forbidden in pkgver: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
>
> I first tried this:
>
> _pkgver=1.0-beta
> pkgver=${pkgver/-/_}
>
> But it was displayed as something like "pkgver/-/_}".
>
> So I had to double the declaration:
>
> pkgver=1.0-beta
> pkgver=1.0_beta
>
> The wiki doesn't give tips for cases like this. What would be your advice
> for not repeating myself?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Hervé Cauwelier

just use pkgver=1.0beta, you can just type the currect version in the
source url yourself I suppose.

Ronald

Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Hervé Cauwelier

The wiki doesn't give tips for cases like this. What would be your advice
for not repeating myself?

just use pkgver=1.0beta, you can just type the currect version in the
source url yourself I suppose.

Ronald

That would repeat the version in the download URL and when "cd" to the
source directory, which is worse.

I prefer having configuration at the top of the PKGBUILD to ease
maintenance.

--
Hervé Cauwelier

Old 03-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Ronald van Haren

2010/3/29 Hervé Cauwelier <herve@oursours.net>:
> On 03/29/10 11:30, Ronald van Haren wrote:
>>
>> 2010/3/29 Hervé Cauwelier<herve@oursours.net>:
>>>
>>> The wiki doesn't give tips for cases like this. What would be your advice
>>> for not repeating myself?
>>>
>> just use pkgver=1.0beta, you can just type the currect version in the
>> source url yourself I suppose.
>>
>> Ronald
>
> That would repeat the version in the download URL and when "cd" to the
> source directory, which is worse.
>
> I prefer having configuration at the top of the PKGBUILD to ease
> maintenance.
>
> --
> Hervé Cauwelier

in that case you define _pkgver or something and use it there, though
I'm not a big fan of custom variables.

Ronald

Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Daenyth Blank

2010/3/29 Hervé Cauwelier <herve@oursours.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I've just noticed pkgver is not interpreted when uploading to AUR.
>
> I am packaging a program versionned "1.0-beta" and I learned hypens are
> forbidden in pkgver: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
If you look at the PKGBUILD manpage, it explicitly says that - is not
a legal character in pkgver and to use _ instead.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Hervé Cauwelier

On 03/29/10 15:45, Daenyth Blank wrote:

2010/3/29 Hervé Cauwelier<herve@oursours.net>:

Hi,

I've just noticed pkgver is not interpreted when uploading to AUR.

I am packaging a program versionned "1.0-beta" and I learned hypens are
forbidden in pkgver: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD

If you look at the PKGBUILD manpage, it explicitly says that - is not
a legal character in pkgver and to use _ instead.

Is my English so bad or you didn't read my entire message? That's
exactly what I did and wrote.

I drop my request before replies get worse.

Thanks anyway.

--
Hervé Cauwelier

Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Michael Wigren

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 16:01 +0200, Hervé Cauwelier wrote:
> On 03/29/10 15:45, Daenyth Blank wrote:
> > 2010/3/29 Hervé Cauwelier<herve@oursours.net>:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've just noticed pkgver is not interpreted when uploading to AUR.
> >>
> >> I am packaging a program versionned "1.0-beta" and I learned hypens are
> >> forbidden in pkgver: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
> > If you look at the PKGBUILD manpage, it explicitly says that - is not
> > a legal character in pkgver and to use _ instead.
>
> Is my English so bad or you didn't read my entire message? That's
> exactly what I did and wrote.
>
> I drop my request before replies get worse.
>
> Thanks anyway.

Hyphens are forbidden, as you have said. Please use an underscore in
place of a hyphen (i.e. 1.0_beta in place of 1.0-beta).

--
Michael Wigren
michael.wigren@gmail.com

Old 03-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Hervé Cauwelier

On 03/29/10 16:08, Michael Wigren wrote:

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 16:01 +0200, Hervé Cauwelier wrote:

On 03/29/10 15:45, Daenyth Blank wrote:

2010/3/29 Hervé Cauwelier<herve@oursours.net>:

Hi,

I've just noticed pkgver is not interpreted when uploading to AUR.

I am packaging a program versionned "1.0-beta" and I learned hypens are
forbidden in pkgver: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD

If you look at the PKGBUILD manpage, it explicitly says that - is not
a legal character in pkgver and to use _ instead.

Is my English so bad or you didn't read my entire message? That's
exactly what I did and wrote.

I drop my request before replies get worse.

Thanks anyway.

Hyphens are forbidden, as you have said. Please use an underscore in
place of a hyphen (i.e. 1.0_beta in place of 1.0-beta).

WTF? I wrote I already did that you moron. You can tell it 10 times, I
don't need a fucking advice about what I ALREADY did, I asked about how
to do it better.

If you reply to people without even reading the ENTIRE message, we both
lose time.

Sorry for being rude but it had to go out.

And as expected, the next reply was worse.

--
Hervé Cauwelier

Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Ray Rashif

On 29/03/2010, Hervé Cauwelier <herve@oursours.net> wrote:
> On 03/29/10 16:08, Michael Wigren wrote:

>>> Is my English so bad or you didn't read my entire message? That's
>>> exactly what I did and wrote.
>>>
>>> I drop my request before replies get worse.
>>>
>>> Thanks anyway.
>>>

>> Hyphens are forbidden, as you have said. Please use an underscore in
>> place of a hyphen (i.e. 1.0_beta in place of 1.0-beta).
>>

> WTF? I wrote I already did that you moron. You can tell it 10 times, I
> don't need a fucking advice about what I ALREADY did, I asked about how
> to do it better.
>
> If you reply to people without even reading the ENTIRE message, we both
> lose time.
>
> Sorry for being rude but it had to go out.
>
> And as expected, the next reply was worse.

Note:

_pkgver=1.0-beta
pkgver=${pkgver/-/_}

as displayed here indicates a typo at line 2, which when fixed would look like:

pkgver=${_pkgver/-/_}

A better way to handle that would be to handle that in a simpler way:

pkgver=1.0_beta
_pkgver=1.0-beta

That's all there is to it, there isn't anymore.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

Old 03-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Hervé Cauwelier

On 03/29/10 16:37, Ray Rashif wrote:

Note:

_pkgver=1.0-beta
pkgver=${pkgver/-/_}

as displayed here indicates a typo at line 2, which when fixed would look like:

pkgver=${_pkgver/-/_}

A better way to handle that would be to handle that in a simpler way:

pkgver=1.0_beta
_pkgver=1.0-beta

That's all there is to it, there isn't anymore.

Yes, I typed from what I recalled but my memory got wrong.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

--
Hervé Cauwelier