Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Erik Johnson

Default Policy on abandoned projects?

What is the policy with regard to projects that appear to have been
abandoned? For instance, no matter what distribution I run, I find
myself compiling spellutils for its excellent "newsbody" program, which
I use in mutt to feed aspell only the body of the message instead of the
full message (including quoted replies, headers, etc). However, for some
time now the homepage of this project has been defunct, and the
developer has been unreachable. The project does not have a
sourceforge/github/etc location from which the source code can be
retrieved, I was only able to find the source code myself thanks to a
couple different source code archives, which I am not sure if I can rely
on 100% to keep the source available.

What can I do to get this project into the AUR? I have no problem
writing a PKGBUILD, I just need to find an acceptable way of making the
source available, and I'm not sure if there's a protocol for this
that AUR package maintainers typically follow.

Many thanks,

--

-Erik

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to
persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." --Carl Sagan

Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Ranguvar

Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Erik Johnson

--

[...]

Personally, I would say that for an AUR package, a < 100% reliable
source is fine.

However, what I've done for high-demand packages (like my bin32-wine
when [extra] does not update quickly),
is to talk to people and find someone who would be kind enough to host.

Actually though, I think www.omploader.org works for PKGBUILDs. If it
does, it is both fast and reliable.

Thanks. I'm working on the PKGBUILD right now. Is it necessary to
include packages which are part of base or base-devel as makedepends? I
didn't see any information about this in the PKGBUILD manpage.

-- Ranguvar
[Devin Cofer]

Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Ranguvar

Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Erik Johnson <palehose@gmail.com> wrote:

> --
>
> -Erik
>
> "For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to
> persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." *--Carl Sagan
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 05:14:15PM -0500, Ranguvar wrote:

>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:26, Erik Johnson <palehose@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the policy with regard to projects that appear to have been
>>> abandoned? For instance, no matter what distribution I run, I find
>>> myself compiling spellutils for its excellent "newsbody" program, which
>>> I use in mutt to feed aspell only the body of the message instead of the
>>> full message (including quoted replies, headers, etc). However, for some
>>> time now the homepage of this project has been defunct, and the
>>> developer has been unreachable. The project does not have a
>>> sourceforge/github/etc location from which the source code can be
>>> retrieved, I was only able to find the source code myself thanks to a
>>> couple different source code archives, which I am not sure if I can rely
>>> on 100% to keep the source available.
>>>
>>> What can I do to get this project into the AUR? I have no problem
>>> writing a PKGBUILD, I just need to find an acceptable way of making the
>>> source available, and I'm not sure if there's a protocol for this
>>> that AUR package maintainers typically follow.
>>>

>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> -Erik
>>>
>>> "For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to
>>> persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." *--Carl Sagan
>>
>> Personally, I would say that for an AUR package, a < 100% reliable
>> source is fine.
>>
>> However, what I've done for high-demand packages (like my bin32-wine
>> when [extra] does not update quickly),
>> is to talk to people and find someone who would be kind enough to host.
>>
>> Actually though, I think www.omploader.org works for PKGBUILDs. *If it
>> does, it is both fast and reliable.
>
> Thanks. I'm working on the PKGBUILD right now. Is it necessary to
> include packages which are part of base or base-devel as makedepends? I
> didn't see any information about this in the PKGBUILD manpage.

no

Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Thayer Williams

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Ranguvar <ranguvar@archlinux.us> wrote:
> However, what I've done for high-demand packages (like my bin32-wine
> when [extra] does not update quickly),
> is to talk to people and find someone who would be kind enough to host.

Let me know if you would like a permanent host for the source code
tarball. I can host it on http://cinderwick.ca somewhere for ya...

Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 AM
member ghost1227

If anyone needs hosting for a popular package that has gone under, feel free
to let me know. I'm already hosting a few, don't mind adding more to the
list.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Erik Johnson

Thanks to both of you. For now I am using omploader as was suggested
previously, if I have trouble with it then I will contact one of you.

I submitted the package to the AUR a few hours ago, it can be found
here: