Old 01-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Default mistake in packaging guidelines

Please have a look here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Submitting_Packages_to_th e_AUR

It says:
Please add a comment line to the top of your PKGBUILD file that
follows this format. Remember to disguise your email to protect against
spam: # Contributor: Your Name <address at domain dot com>

This is wrong and should read: # Maintainer: Your Name <address at
domain dot com>

This is apparently missleading new and not so new AUR packagers, I just
had an argument about it.

Imho somewhere on this page it should be mentioned that previous
maintainers and other contributors should be kept in the PKGBUILD file
as contributors as this also seems to be not very well known.

Regards,
Philipp

Old 01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Ionut Biru

Please add a comment line to the top of your PKGBUILD file that
follows this format. Remember to disguise your email to protect against
spam: # Contributor: Your Name<address at domain dot com>

This is wrong and should read: # Maintainer: Your Name<address at
domain dot com>

you are correct.

This is apparently missleading new and not so new AUR packagers, I just
had an argument about it.

Imho somewhere on this page it should be mentioned that previous
maintainers and other contributors should be kept in the PKGBUILD file
as contributors as this also seems to be not very well known.

again you are correct. why not edit it and change to reflect the actual
thing? is a wiki... or is protected?

Regards,
Philipp

--
Ionut

Old 01-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Thayer Williams

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/16/2010 06:12 PM, hollunder@lavabit.com wrote:
>>
>> Please have a look here:
>>
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Submitting_Packages_to_th e_AUR
>>
>> It says:
>> Please add a comment line to the top of your PKGBUILD file that
>> follows this format. Remember to disguise your email to protect against
>> spam: # Contributor: Your Name<address at domain dot com>
>>
>> This is wrong and should read: # Maintainer: Your Name<address at
>> domain dot com>
>>
> you are correct.

It's a half-truth isn't it? I mean if if is the first time a package
is being submitted to the AUR it *should* be Contributor and not
Maintainer. The Maintainer should only be appended to the list if
replacing an existing PKGBUILD. At least that was my understanding of
it.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Ionut Biru

Please add a comment line to the top of your PKGBUILD file that
follows this format. Remember to disguise your email to protect against
spam: # Contributor: Your Name<address at domain dot com>

This is wrong and should read: # Maintainer: Your Name<address at
domain dot com>

you are correct.

It's a half-truth isn't it? I mean if if is the first time a package
is being submitted to the AUR it *should* be Contributor and not
Maintainer. The Maintainer should only be appended to the list if
replacing an existing PKGBUILD. At least that was my understanding of
it.

for my understanding and i think we all agreed on the previous
conversation(when i applied as TU), the maintainer is the actual person
who's maintaining the package and contributor are past maintainers. That
we do on packages from our repos..

--
Ionut

Old 01-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Philipp ‹berbacher

Excerpts from Ionut Biru's message of Sat Jan 16 17:25:45 +0100 2010:
> On 01/16/2010 06:12 PM, hollunder@lavabit.com wrote:
> > Please have a look here:
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Submitting_Packages_to_th e_AUR
> >
> > It says:
> > Please add a comment line to the top of your PKGBUILD file that
> > follows this format. Remember to disguise your email to protect against
> > spam: # Contributor: Your Name<address at domain dot com>
> >
> > This is wrong and should read: # Maintainer: Your Name<address at
> > domain dot com>
> >
> you are correct.
>
> > This is apparently missleading new and not so new AUR packagers, I just
> > had an argument about it.
> >
> > Imho somewhere on this page it should be mentioned that previous
> > maintainers and other contributors should be kept in the PKGBUILD file
> > as contributors as this also seems to be not very well known.
> >
> again you are correct. why not edit it and change to reflect the actual
> thing? is a wiki... or is protected?

It's not possible for me to change it, hence this mail. Seems I forgot
to mention this..

Regards,
Philipp